Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 10:56 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times

Advertisements

Hello, again! just watched the video about the new "Golden Girls" housing situation. I've certainly thought about sharing a home....but am not ready to do so, yet. I was an interior designer....am pretty fierce about "my" house, and it's looks, plus am very quiet. i seldom even play music, and health issues have me up at different times day/night. More than likely, I'd be a poor person to share a house with, much to my chagrin. But if it comes to that, I'd adapt, I like to think. Certainly thee loneliness I'm experiencing now would be helped by that. I worry about getting into a difficult situation, though. I think you'd have to be very, very careful about finding someone to share with. And the place and actual house would make a difference, of course. I had a friend invite someone she knew to move in with her. It did not work out, despite good intentions. She was vastly relieved when the gal found another place to live....thankfully, they both knew it was temporary going into it. I think it IS a possible solution though, and one I would consider. There's a popular fiction author who writes about quilts (Chiaveralli????) and her stories take place in a huge old mansion shared by several couples/women. Sounds really good in the stories! The gals in the video sure seemed to be happy.......

Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times
Thanks, Minervah! Good luck to you! You seem to be strong, knowledgable, and even-keeled. I'm sure you'll do well.

I DO try to remember that I cannot know what lies in the future, and when I am down, which has been often, lately.....I try to tell myself I don't know what good thing God may have instore for me right around the corner! That usually helps. Thanks for the reminder. take good care of yourself, dear woman.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I have physical issues, too, that cause constant pain. I'm sure glad I didn't plan on traveling in retirement, because there's no way I can even think about it without starting to hurt. I am only 61 and can't imagine living like this, or getting worse which I'm sure I will, for another 20 or 30 years.

Anyhow, about the Golden Girls thing -- my two girlfriends and I had always said, back in the 90's, that we were going to retire to FL, buy a house together and be the Golden Girls. But now? No way. They have grandchildren that they will never move away from. I don't have any grandchildren but I guess if I did, I'd probably feel the same. However, it's a darn shame, as it sounded like a fun idea! Although I cannot imagine I'd be able to stand living with anyone, nor would they be able to stand me and my messy, cluttered life. With my pain, it's extremely hard to find the energy to put things in their proper place, much less clean. Once in awhile, I go on a rampage and clean it all up, but then fall back into the messiness again. Oh, well.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I have physical issues, too, that cause constant pain. I'm sure glad I didn't plan on traveling in retirement, because there's no way I can even think about it without starting to hurt. I am only 61 and can't imagine living like this, or getting worse which I'm sure I will, for another 20 or 30 years.

Anyhow, about the Golden Girls thing -- my two girlfriends and I had always said, back in the 90's, that we were going to retire to FL, buy a house together and be the Golden Girls. But now? No way. They have grandchildren that they will never move away from. I don't have any grandchildren but I guess if I did, I'd probably feel the same. However, it's a darn shame, as it sounded like a fun idea! Although I cannot imagine I'd be able to stand living with anyone, nor would they be able to stand me and my messy, cluttered life. With my pain, it's extremely hard to find the energy to put things in their proper place, much less clean. Once in awhile, I go on a rampage and clean it all up, but then fall back into the messiness again. Oh, well.
Avalon, I so resemble your post, I was hoping for that Golden girl lifestyle, but in reality, it's a lot more complicated to find that happy medium when living with others. Health issues are some of the reasons I rarely cook, too exhausted to do the after work and I can't stand to leave a single dish sitting dirty overnight. But if I drop something, not food items mine you, on the floor and it hurts to pick it up, which is often, it just lays there for longer than it should. Putting things back in their place, that's a joke most of the time. The last thing you want is someone complaining about your minor messy habits when you are in pain. Still I often thought it would be great to share housing, but over the last year, I'm learning from witnessing so much, (convos on city-data and other) that it would be wayyyyyy more difficult than the desire at this stage at least with strangers. I might consider it with some long time friends since I've experienced living with them in past years, but, they're a bit younger, still working and in different head spaces to a degree ( that whole icky dating thing for one), plus, not living in my prime location. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Sometimes I like living alone, but there are times I think it would be great to have roomies. I enjoy having people to say goodnight to or share a meal with, but I don't like having people in my face 24/7 either.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
im 59 also and on 11/3/11 im moving to magnolia delaware from connecticut - my reasons for my choice is as follows - i cant take the heat so the south is out - i am used to being close to the water and i found a great place 4 miles from the beach - the general area is farming making it low key yet philadelphia is only an hour away - people are very friendly - there is no sales tax, no state income tax and no annual car tax - property taxes on homes is reasonable - being so close to the ocean walking around on a 95 degree day is very tolerable - i spent one year traveling the east coast from connecticut down to florida stopping in every state and visiting a couple of towns or cities in each state - i believe i have made the correct choice for me and have certainly done my research - ps i am also alone except for my 2 cats
Hi PJ, I am reviewing threads in this topic, and I hope you will post how your move went and how you are doing in your new home, if you haven't already. (I was gone for awhile and need to get caught up). Who helped you move? Have you made friends? Are you happy?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
This is the BEST thread on City-Data!
I agree! I feel like I know so many of y'all. I will be posting my dilemma soon.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I wasn't being argumentative. I just cannot fathom why it needs to be stickied when there are so many posts that there is little threat to see it disappear down the boards.
WHY is this even an issue??? This thread is busy enough w/o having to answer useless questions that don't pertain to the topic. Please "Cruz" to other discussions, Mr. Cat.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Delaware does have state income tax, just no sales tax. but it is fairly "retiree friendly" in terms of taxes on pensions, etc.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Delaware does have state income tax, just no sales tax. but it is fairly "retiree friendly" in terms of taxes on pensions, etc.
Loveautumn, are you considering Delaware?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Concerning moving out of state before age 65. I read an article that did some study about that and found that there is a a very large number of people who are unable to move out of state due to health insurance. Anyone with any kind of pre-existing condition, no matter how small, may not be able to get insurance if they move, or if they do, at a very substantial increase.

Even being over weight and having high cholesterol can disqualify you from getting a new policy. They mentioned how the real estate market could really be helped if this stop gap were removed. I think we lose sight of just how many people are effected by this problem. But 2014 is still two years off, if they don't kill the plan before it is enacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement