Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times

Advertisements

I've always been attracted to Virginia and visited a few times...in fact, I almost transferred there about 14 years ago but decided to stay put for awhile longer..the deal wasn't worth it at the time.

I like the fact that in many areas, it's kind of northern and kind of southern. I like the geography, mountains and ocean are available if I want to get away for a few days (and I'll have the time after I retire). The weather is mild, although I still will need to adjust to the humidity...but it has hot summers and mild winters, which is better than hot summers and cold winters (at least that's the conclusion I came to). I really love New England but just can't see myself coping with the winters as I age...that was a big factor for me. Virginia has lots of festivals, museums, history...things to do. Close to DC so maybe a twice a year visit. I'm thinking about the west side of Richmond, which is one of the better areas around Richmond from what I understand and use that as my home base. Suburban (which is what I like) but close to urban downtown if I want to visit once in a while, pretty area, no bridges to cross (I have somewhat of a bridge phobia). The COL seems reasonable compared to SoCal and better than NoVa. I'm going to visit in Oct/Nov sometime to check it out! Whenever I have visited I have always felt completely at home in Virginia, and I think Virginia has alot to offer. Also, if I end up not liking Richmond as a "forever" place, there are other areas I think would also be options down the road. I really tried to fall in love online with the Triangle area of NC, but it just didn't happen...not sure why but I'll probably spend a couple of days there too just to rule in or out.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Forgot to add that I love the green and also all the various types of architecture....so much to enjoy there!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:56 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hi all, I haven't been here for months so I'm trying to catch up. Welcome to the newcomers! I just wanted to give you all an update. I started here in '08 or so, wanting to move back to Southern CA, but ended up buying a small rancher in my hometown of Phila. PA. My elderly Mom lived in FL and I considered moving down with her to help her, but I decided I didn't want to give up my entire life here. So I got her into assisted-living about a year ago in FL. Well, a few months ago, she died unexpectedly from a fall (severe brain injury due to blood-thinners). Of course, now I wish I had moved in with her....maybe she could've had a few more good years. Oh well, I made a decision that I thought was right at the time. Anyhow, I still have her condo, which is in a beautiful area on the Gulf coast. I may end up moving there if I cannot afford to keep up two places. At best, I'd like to be a snowbird, as the cold weather really takes a toll on me. I spent a few months there after my Mom's death, and the people in her over-55 are very friendly and welcoming. So, even though I still have dreams of that CA weather, I don't think financially it would ever be possible, and the FL Gulf Coast would be the next-best thing.

Amazing how your life and plans can change so drastically frome one year to another.

ETA: Wisteria -- coincidentally enough, one of the couples I became friendly with in FL are actually from Santa Cruz! Very fun and friendly folks. They live in FL full-time now, but small world, huh?
Dear lady, so very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope whatever your future decisions may be, you will be in a place beyond contentment.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Loveautumn, you certainly have done your homework! I look forward to your updates. I've only seen Richmond from I-95 as I was passing through.

TRosa, thanks, girlfriend. Hopefully when I come back down, we can finally get together. You still lovin' it?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
TRosa, thanks, girlfriend. Hopefully when I come back down, we can finally get together. You still lovin' it?
Very much so. I do hope we will have that chance.

Just past Sunday spent some the beach with one of my meetup groups. The tiki bar which located behind the near the Ritz Carlton on the beach. The Tiki bar is open every Sunday and our group got together there this past weekend, most in the group are over age 50 some ages 80+ personally I spent a lot of that time in the ocean. Some wild members in that group that were egged on by a few crazy guys all in the name of fun. I suggested a few of us heavier gals go over and stand in line to take a turn load up on those fellas backs just to see the stares.

Anyway, just a fun place you might look forward to spending a Sunday afternoon at if you decide to move to the area or just when you visit again. The view and proximity to the ocean from that location was incredible
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-tiki-lido-beach-wild-baby-boomers.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-tiki-lido-beach-hip-hop-line  

Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Default I've only seen Richmond from I-95 as I was passing through.

from what I'm told, unfortunately that's a pretty ugly view of the city and turns alot of people off to the place.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Just curious, has anyone heard from knoxgarden in the past year or so? I miss her posts from Knoxville. She was posting regularly and seemed to have suddenly stopped...

Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
Wow!! I posted in this thread a loooong time ago....then was off CD for some time; (life!)...& thx to loveautum's post on a VA thread, I found this thread once more. The fact that it's a sticky really says something about the enormous number of women going it alone as we age. I am glad this is still going -- it's inspiring & nice to know a "web" of support exists!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I've always been attracted to Virginia and visited a few times...in fact, I almost transferred there about 14 years ago but decided to stay put for awhile longer..the deal wasn't worth it at the time.

I like the fact that in many areas, it's kind of northern and kind of southern. I like the geography, mountains and ocean are available if I want to get away for a few days (and I'll have the time after I retire). The weather is mild, although I still will need to adjust to the humidity...but it has hot summers and mild winters, which is better than hot summers and cold winters (at least that's the conclusion I came to). I really love New England but just can't see myself coping with the winters as I age...that was a big factor for me. Virginia has lots of festivals, museums, history...things to do. Close to DC so maybe a twice a year visit. I'm thinking about the west side of Richmond, which is one of the better areas around Richmond from what I understand and use that as my home base. Suburban (which is what I like) but close to urban downtown if I want to visit once in a while, pretty area, no bridges to cross (I have somewhat of a bridge phobia). The COL seems reasonable compared to SoCal and better than NoVa. I'm going to visit in Oct/Nov sometime to check it out! Whenever I have visited I have always felt completely at home in Virginia, and I think Virginia has alot to offer. Also, if I end up not liking Richmond as a "forever" place, there are other areas I think would also be options down the road. I really tried to fall in love online with the Triangle area of NC, but it just didn't happen...not sure why but I'll probably spend a couple of days there too just to rule in or out.
Funny - reading your post here in the west end of Richmond.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Funny - reading your post here in the west end of Richmond.
Hi mzfroggez,

I thought you were further south on the coast. Are you now permanently in Richmond? Post a report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.