Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times

Advertisements

I live in SoCal, so I can give you some of the negatives of this area....rents are very high, high state income tax and CA taxes all pensions...just very high taxes in general here, gas is always about $1 more than anyplace else in the country, very crowded, ALOT of traffic everywhere, dense population. It's a hassle to go anywhere because of traffic/crowds. As you get older driving will be a challenge. Earthquakes and fires are always a danger. On the plus side, ocean scenery is beautiful, and weather is mild all year round, good+ medical care. If you were to live somewhere in California that is way out in the "sticks", then might be somewhat less COL but then you have issues with nearby medical facilities, etc. Really, alot of retirees are fleeing this state (CA is broke) unless you are wealthy, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a top choice, and I've lived here 35 years.

As far as Phoenix, if you enjoy desert landscape, then it might be a viable choice...but it gets hotter than you know where from May-Sept. I'm talking over 100 degrees alot of days, really unbearable. Those that can afford it come to San Diego for the summer to escape. Scottsdale is a really nice area of PHX, on the pricey side but very nice.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstay1929 View Post
Greetings

Looking to move to Arizona and would like to know what are the best areas to live that has a diverse group of people and age. ...I want to live in an area of Arizona that is not all retirees ...want to work part-time, live in a safe area should I go out at night and church ...Thank you
I would look into Prescott, AZ; better weather, much less traffic than Phoenix, yet ez to utilize PHX for cheap fares to CA and PDX (cheaper and better connections than TUC). There is good culture, activities, and multiple colleges. Retirees typically love Prescott. (have had several stay with me who have raved about Prescott and nearby valleys. (N and East)). I also like Cottonwood, AZ. Tucson is much better than PHX (IMHO). I moved Vancouver, WA friends to Willcox, AZ this year. (Far east AZ on I-10) Not my cup of tea. I like to be near an airport and college, yet in rural setting (no traffic). There is a gal on this forum that lives in Sonoma, AZ and found a Mobile Home as a very affordable option in that SPENDY locale. Flagstaff is great if you can deal with the snow and cool winters. I hear Show-Low is really improving and popular for retirees (but NOT EVEN close to an airport).

If you are open to NM; look at ABQ, Las Cruces, SantaFe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in SoCal, so I can give you some of the negatives of this area....... ALOT of traffic everywhere, dense population. It's a hassle to go anywhere because of traffic/crowds. As you get older driving will be a challenge. ....
CA has so many NICE places for retirement (I would look to Chico and East / SE of there), but state fiscal need is scary. Generally CA has too many cars and too high property valuations (raising taxes / CoL).

IF CA would have restricted outflow of Real Estate equity dollars (to protect the 9 western states that valuations / CoL have been destroyed by FLEEING (inflowing) CA RE equity $$ (I have been forced to move from 3 of them due to increased taxes forcing out 'residents'). & IF CA would enact a serious 'Disincentive' for multiple car ownership (like a $100k FEE for extra car, as in some foreign countries with traffic / pollution issues), CA would have some extra CASH to support their BAD habit of spending.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstay1929 View Post

I want to live in an area of Arizona that is not all retirees like I said before I like a mix of ages. I want to work part-time, live in a safe area should I go out at night and church which will be my biggest interest. Movies, theater plays and etc. I'm alive and want to live the life God has given me. I just want your thoughts of the areas, medical, dental and anyother information I would need.

Thank you
Check out Sierra Vista if you like the desert landscape - it's at a higher elevation and much cooler than the 2 places that are always mentioned. (Arizona is not comprised of a megalopolis called PhoenixTucson!)

Check out the White Mountains/Rim Country (Show Low, Pinetop, Lakeside, Payson, Prescott) if you like 4 seasons, pine trees, blue skies, and snow that melts.

Check out Yuma if you like lettuce fields

Last edited by Gandalara; 06-20-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
There is nothing of interest in Yuma. Don't even consider it. Sorry all you Yuma ites. !!!
Come to the East Valley. Either Gilbert, Chandler or Mesa. There is a great group of single over 55 people in a meet up group and we do stuff, go out to eat, have card and game days, and we all get along really well. You would be very much welcomed. Most live in east Mesa and Gilbert, but really, any home you choose will be ok and you won't have to worry about being safe. As for medical, Medicare is very good to us here. Have a Medicare Advantage Plan that has no premium and great docs/ DM ,me if you want particulars. But, it is hot here. Don't believe anyone who says "its a dry heat" cause its still heat.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in SoCal, so I can give you some of the negatives of this area....rents are very high, high state income tax and CA taxes all pensions...just very high taxes in general here, gas is always about $1 more than anyplace else in the country, very crowded, ALOT of traffic everywhere, dense population. It's a hassle to go anywhere because of traffic/crowds. As you get older driving will be a challenge. Earthquakes and fires are always a danger. On the plus side, ocean scenery is beautiful, and weather is mild all year round, good+ medical care. If you were to live somewhere in California that is way out in the "sticks", then might be somewhat less COL but then you have issues with nearby medical facilities, etc. Really, alot of retirees are fleeing this state (CA is broke) unless you are wealthy, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a top choice, and I've lived here 35 years.

As far as Phoenix, if you enjoy desert landscape, then it might be a viable choice...but it gets hotter than you know where from May-Sept. I'm talking over 100 degrees alot of days, really unbearable. Those that can afford it come to San Diego for the summer to escape. Scottsdale is a really nice area of PHX, on the pricey side but very nice.
The thing is.....the heat is quite bearable. You just go slower and run from a/c to a/c. We even ventured to the recreation center yesterday at 4:30 which is about the peak of the heat and I believe it was over 110 yesterday at that time. The pool was delicious and a bit cool getting out. We can go anwhere, any old time and not have to fight snow or icy roads, which I hated driving on. You can get used to it and I really hate to see the cold air return. I will try to take some photos of the pool this afternoon and post them.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Prescott is very nice but for a single person I think it would be hard to fit in. Mostly retired couples live there I think....

Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The thing is.....the heat is quite bearable. You just go slower and run from a/c to a/c. We even ventured to the recreation center yesterday at 4:30 which is about the peak of the heat and I believe it was over 110 yesterday at that time. The pool was delicious and a bit cool getting out. We can go anwhere, any old time and not have to fight snow or icy roads, which I hated driving on. You can get used to it and I really hate to see the cold air return. I will try to take some photos of the pool this afternoon and post them.
I see this as the reverse of where I live. In the winter we go from heated house to heated car and acclimate to the cold and enjoy walks. You do whatever you want to do ~ or ~ you can use it as a good excuse to stay in and putz - read - watch movies. My point is, it always sounds much worse to others.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:50 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I see this as the reverse of where I live. In the winter we go from heated house to heated car and acclimate to the cold and enjoy walks. You do whatever you want to do ~ or ~ you can use it as a good excuse to stay in and putz - read - watch movies. My point is, it always sounds much worse to others.
You are so right. We all pick our poison. I listened to a relative talk about chigar bites all over his legs after camping in LA and then stopping in NM. Scared me, but I am sure people just deal with those as we deal with heat and snow and other big bugs, big wind and earthquakes, lol.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM

20 posts, read 41,248 times
I have found the past few postings interesting. I have spent half my life in Az and half my life in Mn. I grew up in Yuma, attended the U of A in Tucson, and lived in Phoenix when my kids were young. Talk about two extremes! In Az my kids about passed out trick or treating. My utilities were very high just to run the air condioner from mid May to October. And in Az we set the temp close to 80. Our home was brand new so supposedly was better insulated. I really loved the first decade in Mn; it was a joy to experience the four seasons. Now, I'm tired of bone-chilling cold for months. At 60 my back aches (scoliosis) and I am tired of the humid summers keeping me in where the air conditioning must be set low to get rid of humidity to offset my asthma. So, with great excitement we look forward to our next move for our retirement. We fell in love with the weather, food, scenery, lifestyle, and culture of Santa Fe. We bought our retirement home a year ago, and will move permanently in 2-3 years.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacienda Hollyhock View Post
I have found the past few postings interesting. I have spent half my life in Az and half my life in Mn. I grew up in Yuma, attended the U of A in Tucson, and lived in Phoenix when my kids were young. Talk about two extremes! In Az my kids about passed out trick or treating. My utilities were very high just to run the air condioner from mid May to October. And in Az we set the temp close to 80. Our home was brand new so supposedly was better insulated. I really loved the first decade in Mn; it was a joy to experience the four seasons. Now, I'm tired of bone-chilling cold for months. At 60 my back aches (scoliosis) and I am tired of the humid summers keeping me in where the air conditioning must be set low to get rid of humidity to offset my asthma. So, with great excitement we look forward to our next move for our retirement. We fell in love with the weather, food, scenery, lifestyle, and culture of Santa Fe. We bought our retirement home a year ago, and will move permanently in 2-3 years.
You did go from one extreme to another! May I ask where in MN you are located? Like most states, MN has many microclimates - some areas are colder or stormier or both. I'm in Mpls and our weather can be very diferent (not AZ vs MN different) than northern & western MN areas.

We have a lady (I use that term loosely) in Santa Fe that stops by this thread occasionally - Dancinearth. Good luck with your move - the dry air should help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement