Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times

Advertisements

Demicent: Good for you! Amazing story. Mzfroggez: Congratulations to you too! You guys are an inspiration. I look forward to hearing about both your experiences/thoughts of the Greenville/Anderson area.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Another "hang in there/keep the faith" story....a woman I know her husband passed away last year and she decided to move back to the midwest to be with family. Everything went smoothly, house sold very quickly to a wonderful lady, travel plans were made, stuff given away, packed and ready to go. On the day the woman moved into her old home, escrow fell out from the condo she had purchased in her new location (long story, not her fault but the realtors), and she for one reason or another, then crashed her car into a brick wall. The car ended up being salvagable and is still in the shop being repaired. Instead of driving back with her relative, and her dog, and taking her leisurely time to visit some sights along the way, they ended up flying back (which was much better for the dog and for everybody all the way around, IMO). She's now staying with family in her new location and looking for another condo to buy. Although there were lots of tears, she pushed on and made it. As they say, more will be revealed, but I think she might end up in an area better than originally planned...time will tell. She has alot of courage and her family is very supportive which helps alot. Makes me remember that stuff will go wrong during a move, no matter how much planning one does, and hopefully it is all fixable one way or the other.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Demicent!!! Congratulations!!! This is a great story.

I guess the moral of your story is to expect the unexpected and be prepared to roll with the punches - I'll bet most of us have had some experience with this

I intend to end up in Asheville so perhaps those of us in that part of the world can meet in the middle somewhere.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
More good news about the Lafayette, Indiana area.....I am still considering this area to move back to...(my hometown)
These are the 100 smartest cities in America (study) | VentureBeat

Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM

27 posts, read 39,880 times
Thanks for the comments. There was a whole lot more pathetic crying and cussing than I included in the original tale. Don't get me wrong, this is really TOUGH! I agree with what's been said, no matter how well you think you plan, things will most assuredly go wrong, and I don't know how I would have gotten through it without family and friends. Two days after I moved in, my sister, her daughter, her two grandkids, my husband's niece and her husband, and my two girls spent the day together in the new place with me and my mom...they filled it with noise and hilarity and made it a home. After they left it was so quiet. Today I put together my bedframe and my headboard and cried the whole time because it was heavy and I smacked it into the walls in a few places (thank goodness they left touch up paint.) I used to have a man to do these things for me. I used to have someone to share the decision making and the heartbreak. I'm on my own now and I'm scared as hell, went from being a much loved well to do suburban housewife to being a little too young to retire, too sick to work, and I am dipping into the savings to live. It's sobering.

I'm trying to find pleasure in the little things. There is a river a couple of blocks behind my house with a trail through the woods, a small sandy beach and the dog loves it. I can only leave my mom alone for a few minutes at a time, she requires 24 hour care from me now. My goal was to get her to SC before she needed hospice care, and we just made it. See the doctor in two days and find out how I can get some help. Wish us luck.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Popcorn, I've been investigating Indiana myself and I'll be interested to hear what you think (I thought you had posted that you were going to visit there soon). It seems to offer alot for someone that is retired but then I hear it's boring after awhile, flat, etc. from the posts on the Indiana threads.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 18,183 times
I thought when we retired we would be able to enjoy life and travel. That's what my husband kept telling me. He had it all planned out. I was working a lot of 16 hr. days 7 days a week for the last 20 years to make that happen. When time came for me to retire I found out that he spent 160,000 from home equity loan and cashed in two CD's. we had to sell the house to pay off his debt. I've been trying to divorce him for a couple of years now. Seems you can steal from the person your married to and it's legal.
I thought about buying a house on my own but I can't shovel snow or take care of a big yard. If I moved to Fl. I might not be able to see my grandsons in Pa. very often and I have a granddaughter out west.
So I was thinking about buying an RV and living in that. I was just wondering if anyone has done that? It kind of sounds like fun being a gypsy. But I'm alone for the first in my life. Making my own decisions. It's kind of scary.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Kissamug: Your story sounds familiar. I tried to purchase (with my then husband) a condo in FLA for my daughter to live in there, and got the shock of my life when I learned what bills he had and how low our credit had plunged. There were credit cards I never heard of, but being married, I was also responsible. Needless to say, it was the beginning of the end for me. Living beyond your means was never in my makeup, but obviously was in his. Divorced 15 years ago.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Kissamug: Your story sounds familiar. I tried to purchase (with my then husband) a condo in FLA for my daughter to live in there, and got the shock of my life when I learned what bills he had and how low our credit had plunged. There were credit cards I never heard of, but being married, I was also responsible. Needless to say, it was the beginning of the end for me. Living beyond your means was never in my makeup, but obviously was in his. Divorced 15 years ago.
Ding ding ding - got out before it got bad.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM

7 posts, read 18,183 times
I wish I had found out sooner. I was to busy working for our retirement. Well I guess he enjoyed it. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what I should do next. I do like the idea of women sharing a house that would ease the stress of the cost of living and chores and make it more affordable to travel to see family.
I'm a little shy and not very outgoing. So I have to make myself get out and meet people. So far retirement hasn't been much fun for me. I'm still grieving what was done to me. And I'm very sad. I can't remember the last time I had fun or laughed.
Sorry to be so depressing. Reading some of these stories makes me feel hopeful.
PhxBarb: I also found out there were credit cards I did not know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement