Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,334,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Knoxville, TN

Lexington, KY

Portland, OR

Does anyone here have anything they know, personally, about these areas? I'm looking at so many sites, online, my fingers are burnt. lol

bullie~
I would not recommend Portland OR unless you had quite a bit of money for your retirement. There is senior housing but according to a friend who recently signed up for several units, there is a seven year waiting list. Those that are available at low rents are very tiny and not always in the greatest areas. Rents in general and the COL is pretty high. There is not much in the way of inexpensive entertainment although there are some nice senior centers. The public transportation system works best for those who live in the more upscale areas.

These are big reasons I had intended to escape last spring but a health setback prevented me from doing so. I hope to regroup next spring to a much more affordable city, Cleveland OH.

I won't get into politics but let's just say the way this city is run is not in the best interests of older people.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 AM

437 posts, read 647,371 times
Almost makes me wanna look at Cleveland.... and I have so many laugh at me when I say that. "Chicago to Cleveland? Can't you go somewhere nicer or warmer?!?"

Well SURE, if I had the money.

bullie~

Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Almost makes me wanna look at Cleveland.... and I have so many laugh at me when I say that. "Chicago to Cleveland? Can't you go somewhere nicer or warmer?!?"

Well SURE, if I had the money.

bullie~
Bullie, first rule of thumb when considering a place to move: don't ever listen to naysayers because they are not you.

If I had a dollar for everyone who ever said to me "You want to move from PORTLAND to CLEVELAND???!!!" I would have enough to pay for my moving expenses and a good meal. But what do they know? My reasons are my reasons and they suit me just fine.

Back in the late 70's when I lived in Chicago, people said the same thing to me about moving from Chicago to Portland.

What you have to do is figure out what is best for you and that includes first and foremost what is most affordable, practical, sensible and where you would be most happy.

Forget weather. Every place has it. You can usually adjust no matter what unless it seriously is going to affect your health like if the PNW might cause someone to have SAD or a very hot sunny climate may cause severe migraines. If things like that are not an issue, warm clothes can be worn in the cold weather and cool ones in the hot. Not to mention air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter. People don't live in caves any longer.

Think about what you need and does the potential relocation place have it. A sunny climate will do you no good if the city has little or no public transportation and you do not drive. If you need top notch medical facilities living in a pristine rural area might be pleasant but it won't get you the doctors you may require.

I think you get my point. People are very quick to give their opinions when they don't know all the facts. When they say "Cleveland!!!!!????" I just smile and say, "Of course!"

Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,597,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Bullie, first rule of thumb when considering a place to move: don't ever listen to naysayers because they are not you. ....

I think you get my point. People are very quick to give their opinions when they don't know all the facts. When they say "Cleveland!!!!!????" I just smile and say, "Of course!"
Yes, very true.

Not everyone knows where the 'jewels' are hidden! (Good thing !!!)

There is a lot about Cleveland to like! And Lincoln, NE too (for that matter), that's GOOD since I don't go east of Missouri River during the summer .
They both have excellent food venues!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Never said there was anything wrong with Cleveland, and you know that. Just to clarify.

What my point was, is that going from one Midwest city to another, makes no sense to my friends. They, and I want to be in warmth, and sunshine, and beauty, and ..............

yeah.

perfection.

yeah.

smh.............

bullie~

Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Never said there was anything wrong with Cleveland, and you know that. Just to clarify.

What my point was, is that going from one Midwest city to another, makes no sense to my friends. They, and I want to be in warmth, and sunshine, and beauty, and ..............

yeah.

perfection.

yeah.

smh.............

bullie~
1) pack your bags,
2) Head out!

done deal. (Hop freight if necessary) BTDT
(hint:do this quickly if in Chicago and approaching Oct)

BTW: I have got some GREAT rides on CL too!.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM

Oh Stealth...... if I could. I have to sit here, whether in a shelter or YWCA til my SSDI is approved, or ...............

So I'm stuck for a while, in my own hell.

xoxo

bullie~

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Enjoy the 'journey', they are all 'scenic'. (i.e. 'Detour' in most cases)

I hope it comes through soon. In the meantime... plan your escape!

When I'm in the PITS, I try to give myself a 'daily escape'.

Usually the treat of "silence" / a SMALL outing / or 30 minutes of 'Chamber Music'.

Thank goodness for my $15 iPOD!

After working evenings for 30+ yrs (missing sunset)... a nice evening WALK does miracles for me.!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:

yeah.

perfection.

yeah.

smh.............

bullie~
I know you weren't knocking Cleveland, I was agreeing with you. I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I was using Cleveland as an example of one of those places people like to knock since it was mentioned and coincidentally it's my eventual destination and hope you would not discount it because others may scorn it.

Regarding the weather, I get pretty tired of people telling me that places like Cleveland and the midwest in general are not warm enough and that I should be wanting to go to sunny climates. Well, for me it's not even a matter of not being able to afford sunny climates, I don't like hot climates and I don't like the sun. I have always prefered colder weather. The sun enervates me. One of the things I like about the PNW is the abundance of overcast days.

Ohio has some very beautiful spots. So do many places in the midwest and northeast. I don't feel I am giving up nice scenery because I can't afford the more fancy resort type towns that don't have what I want anyway. I think your friends sound either very narrow minded or they don't get out very much. In any case they seem to follow some sort of stereotypical attitude that everyone should retire to the same type places.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,965,740 times
Quote:
Oh Stealth...... if I could. I have to sit here, whether in a shelter or YWCA til my SSDI is approved, or ...............

So I'm stuck for a while, in my own hell.

xoxo

bullie~
Clarification needed, please. You previously stated you were trying to sell your home, yes? But you are now suggesting you are in a shelter? Or are you anticipating moving to a shelter?

BTW - Housing vouchers ARE transferable to other states, if you have had the voucher for a minimum of 12 months. (I believe housing vouchers were discussed by you and others on another thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement