Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 01:40 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd give you my thoughts on Charlottesville, VA, for those who are interested. It is a very beautiful little city, lots of trees. The traffic is very do-able and you can get around the whole place in like 30 minutes. Lots of shopping (although there is no modern dept store). The people were the best part, everyone is very friendly, chatty, and nice, but not at all intrusive. I looked at a couple of apts and was disappointed that they seemed so much smaller than the one I have (although the square footage was supposedly about the same), I'd have to go up in rent to get anything that I would feel at home in. Rents are less but then they get you for water, sewer, trash in alot of places. Gas was cheaper than CA but groceries were about the same. It seems for the most part very upscale (Whole Foods was packed with people on a late Sun afternoon). But everyone seemed happy for the most part. The downside for me was the apartment situation and it seems like one would need to go downtown (where the large hospital is) to get to see your doctors because I only saw one doctor's office the whole time I was there (plastic surgeon). Driving is crowded in the downtown area because UVA is there as well as the major hospitals and the Downtown Pedestrian Mall. The place, however, was amazingly quiet and quite clean and the air was really clean. The deal breaker for me was the Catholic Church (there are only 2, one is downtown and difficult to find parking, etc.). I won't go into the details but it was very non-traditional. I need to call the parish and really talk to them about my concerns. At my age, I'm not sure if there is really enough for me to do there (since I'm not affiliated with the university or the horsey set). There were alot of pluses to the size of the "city", if you can call it a city, but then it might get boring after awhile. The crime rate there is high although I didn't feel unsafe anywhere I went but I don't go out at night. I was there a week and felt like I had seen alot. It's still a contender and I am very glad I went, because I did have a very relaxing time, but I didn't come back saying "yes, I'm ready to pack my bags...that's the place for me". But I didn't come back discouraged either. One thing is I felt that I could move some place by myself, I kind of felt more confidence about that. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'l planning on retiring in May.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
FYI

https://col131.mail.live.com/default...15ad9a386&fv=1

Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
Default The Sad Truth?

You shouldn't have to retire elsewhere. The sad truth is that the biggest ripoff in California history has been going on right under our noses for more than two decades now to rob you of more tax dollars to pay for prison expansion and it's still going on dispite what they allow to be reported in the news media. Which is bought an paid for by the way these powerful prison guard unions. They call it public safety? If you do your homework on this you will find, I speak the truth. How do we stop this, where can this be voiced. Who will listen?:

Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
simmonjl
The Sad Truth?
You shouldn't have to retire elsewhere. The sad truth is that the biggest ripoff in California history has been going on right under our noses for more than two decades now to rob you of more tax dollars to pay for prison expansion and it's still going on dispite what they allow to be reported in the news media. Which is bought an paid for by the way these powerful prison guard unions. They call it public safety? If you do your homework on this you will find, I speak the truth. How do we stop this, where can this be voiced. Who will listen?:
I don't think this is really relevant to the thread because all states have pros and cons. You might want to start a separate thread something about "What laws, taxes, other issues make you want to leave your state?" That way, you could get a good dialogue going about it.

Every state has something, and one must weigh what they can against another. This is not just a California issue. Besides, AB109 (prison reform - which I happen to know a lot about but is not relevant to this thread), is trying to reduce the prison population through "programs." It's just that there really are some very dangerous people in prison.... Because you state that this has been decades, then what difference does it make? I don't believe that prisons, in themselves, make or break a state. It's just with AB109 and the federal reductions, that people are more aware of them. I find the pros about California much more appealing, than the cons (no pun intended - lol).

Good luck on your new state search.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:44 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
My goodness, I haven't been on here for a few weeks and all h*ll has broken loose -- LOL! I am in the midst of selling my house and moving to FL. I will try to catch up later, I'm only on pg. 631 at this point. xxxooo

Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Yep, the peace has gone....I hope it returns soon with a new moderator, so that others can find this thread. I could not find this at all on Google anymore, which I know is where some of the women who stayed found this. It has been a sad time...

Old 11-08-2013, 03:32 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default Avalon08 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
My goodness, I haven't been on here for a few weeks and all h*ll has broken loose -- LOL! I am in the midst of selling my house and moving to FL. I will try to catch up later, I'm only on pg. 631 at this point. xxxooo
Where in Florida? It looks like that might be my destination also, when I sell

Old 11-09-2013, 02:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Thought I'd give you my thoughts on Charlottesville, VA, for those who are interested. It is a very beautiful little city, lots of trees. The traffic is very do-able and you can get around the whole place in like 30 minutes. Lots of shopping (although there is no modern dept store). The people were the best part, everyone is very friendly, chatty, and nice, but not at all intrusive. I looked at a couple of apts and was disappointed that they seemed so much smaller than the one I have (although the square footage was supposedly about the same), I'd have to go up in rent to get anything that I would feel at home in. Rents are less but then they get you for water, sewer, trash in alot of places. Gas was cheaper than CA but groceries were about the same. It seems for the most part very upscale (Whole Foods was packed with people on a late Sun afternoon). But everyone seemed happy for the most part. The downside for me was the apartment situation and it seems like one would need to go downtown (where the large hospital is) to get to see your doctors because I only saw one doctor's office the whole time I was there (plastic surgeon). Driving is crowded in the downtown area because UVA is there as well as the major hospitals and the Downtown Pedestrian Mall. The place, however, was amazingly quiet and quite clean and the air was really clean. The deal breaker for me was the Catholic Church (there are only 2, one is downtown and difficult to find parking, etc.). I won't go into the details but it was very non-traditional. I need to call the parish and really talk to them about my concerns. At my age, I'm not sure if there is really enough for me to do there (since I'm not affiliated with the university or the horsey set). There were alot of pluses to the size of the "city", if you can call it a city, but then it might get boring after awhile. The crime rate there is high although I didn't feel unsafe anywhere I went but I don't go out at night. I was there a week and felt like I had seen alot. It's still a contender and I am very glad I went, because I did have a very relaxing time, but I didn't come back saying "yes, I'm ready to pack my bags...that's the place for me". But I didn't come back discouraged either. One thing is I felt that I could move some place by myself, I kind of felt more confidence about that. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'l planning on retiring in May.
Did you look at Asheville? There's downsides, but could be more to your liking with more to do for retirees.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonjl View Post
LOL. So you are saying that the union is controlling all of the media in California? I have some desert land where we can prepare and I'll give you a deal?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 PM

175 posts, read 406,150 times
Oh my...!
I AM looking for a retirement state/town to retire to, but this thread doesn't seem to be much help! I see mostly complaints about mods, men. What happened to the statistics about city/states?!
Currently I have a large home in Cody Wy. I wintercin Texas.
To the person who thought $720 /taxes where he or she lived...I assume that was for 1 month?
Your property taxes in Cody are getting pretty dang high since I have been here. Currently $4, 000/ year for a simple 1800sf home.
I would like to see more about cities, not grumbling about the thread. Does a new thread need to be stsrted?
Incidentally- I would like a mild climate. Wyoming has only 2 seasons...dang cold (-10ºto -30º), and HOT! No spring or fall.
Poor medical in the area. (I am an RN).
I want mild climate, a place where I can safely ride my bike to the local store,; library, park. Good medical. Resonable property taxes. Reasonable foods/prices.
Tell me what you have found..
I used to live in Venice,; Fl. Now it is too crowded. Have thought of Gainsville/Ocala area and Ashville NC but have not been there long enough to meet the people and know what type of State Aid would be available in case I ever need it. There is a very good chance I will need assistance in the future due to injury/illness I have. I am no longer able to work although I would love to...
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement