Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
"... a reasonable way to travel cheaply and meet nice people.
Evergreen is one of many,,, I have my favorites which are not listed here, but plenty of good ones are!
As mentioned these 'home stays' REALLY make my trips special, and very safe / friendly hosts.

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Teamed with a 50 mpg 'grease/alternative fuel' car, and eating at grocery and farm stores...
I LIKE my 1200+ miles per fill-up.

As a poor retiree... You can always 'brew your own' fuel
Appleseed Processor Kit - Utah Biodiesel Supply

It's (Almost) Cheaper to travel than to stay home!!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Well, I am back after my move as promised.

First of all, I have to say it was one of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life. When I moved cross country from Chicago to Portland in my thirties it was a piece of cake. I had few belongings which my dad shipped to me UPS and that was that. This time I had everything shipped to me by ABF and that was my first mistake. Not so much shipping my stuff but choosing ABF. They broke things and trying to coordinated movers and loaders and parking their stupid pods was an absolute nightmare. No communication and miscommunication was the order of the day. Never, ever again with them.

After arriving, I went through the mire of setting up phone, Internet, utilities, new Medicare plans, dealing with crazy new apartment manager (still don't have my name on the doorbell and various things in the apartment need work) and much frustration due to the fact that nowadays, one has to speak with machines instead of human beings.

Although I am on good bus lines, they don't run as often as the ones in Portland and services in general are not as good. The grocery store nearby is adequate but not the huge store I was used to.

So having said all of that, do I regret my move? Not for one single minute! My rent and things in general are so much less which is the main reason I moved. I understand from my former neighbor Portland is coming out with yet another fee for people to pay monthly. They are nickel and diming people to death. Rents continue to soar. Someone on CD on the Portland forum mentioned a 25% rent hike within the last year. Food is way more costly there as well.

My apartment here is huge for $100 less than I was paying there with utilities uncluded which I did not have there. And in Portland my electric bill continued to soar while I continued to freeze trying to keep my heating bill down. And speaking of apartments, if I don't like it where I am at, there are plenty of others to choose from. There is no housing shortage here as here is there. I actually have my eye on a nice over 62 community nearby which I think would be good for someone like me who doesn't drive and would have lots of services for an individual who needs a bit of help but isn't totally disabled. More on those thoughts at another time.

I an in a beautiful walking neighborhood near Case Western University. They offer classes and events for non students. A block away are some shops and restaurants. The buses, although not too frequent during off-hours, do go to many places I need to go include several shopping centers and the RTA is redoing a light rail station just a few minutes away that would take me downtown.

I am just about ten minutes away by bus from the Cleveland Clinic. Last week my friend drove me to some beautiful places including the Cultural Gardens, I believe they are called, which is an area of gardens where different cultures are represented by sculptures in pristine settings. I bought a couple of books from the friendly bookstore lady who owns a shop around the corner that are all about Cleveland and Cleveland Heights so I can see what's what here.

I have found that people seem to be friendly and helpful. Each time I ride the bus and ask the driver about the street I need not only the driver but passengers will advise me. One time the driver let me off at a street I needed and it wasn't even a regular stop. When people ask me where I am from they are surprised and tell me they are used to hearing about people moving in the opposite direction; East to West. So I give them my reasons. They then tell me they love their city and even with its problems are proud of it and hope it is striving for improvements. What I like is as opposed to Portland, they are willing to admit there are problems. I feel that most people in Portland are either in denial or are blissfully unaware of some of the shameful conditions growing on the edges of that city due to gentrification. That's as political as I will get about the subject in this forum.

My 76 year old former neighbor in Portland worries she soon won't be able to afford her rent. I told her there is always room for her here but her kids are in Portland and her grandkids so she doesn't want to move. I am hoping they will help her out. She says it's lonely in the apartment complex now that I have gone. There are only young people there and no one is very friendly towards her which is par for the course. There used to be a mix of ages and we used to get together and have yard sales and barbecues but that changed awhile ago. She is active in her church and volunteers so she isn't isolated but it is nice to have friendly neighbors. It's a young people's neighborhood now. I guess that's happening in many cities around the country though although in my building we have young and old and the younger people are very friendly and respectful to this old lady.

Well, I see I am rambling so I think I will end this. For those brave enough to have stayed to the end, thanks.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:38 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Default Minervah

This too shall pass~~~

Yes, it is much harder when you get older and I can't even imagine doing it without a car. That is quite an accomplishment. Hope this works out for you.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:20 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I second the above. You have moved and the worst is over. Now you can settle in, furnish your new place in your own way, relax, and then start exploring your new area. I graduated from Case Western Reserve and there used to be a little area off Euclid, known as "little Italy". We went to a great restaurant there frequently and stuffed ourselves with spaghetti ! Have not been back since 1970s so not sure its still there.

Anyway, congrats on having made a very difficult move and may you have lots of good times there, in my old neighborhood ! Keep us up to date !!!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, I am back after my move as promised.

First of all, I have to say it was one of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life. When I moved cross country from Chicago to Portland in my thirties it was a piece of cake. I had few belongings which my dad shipped to me UPS and that was that. This time I had everything shipped to me by ABF and that was my first mistake. Not so much shipping my stuff but choosing ABF. They broke things and trying to coordinated movers and loaders and parking their stupid pods was an absolute nightmare. No communication and miscommunication was the order of the day. Never, ever again with them.

After arriving, I went through the mire of setting up phone, Internet, utilities, new Medicare plans, dealing with crazy new apartment manager (still don't have my name on the doorbell and various things in the apartment need work) and much frustration due to the fact that nowadays, one has to speak with machines instead of human beings.

Although I am on good bus lines, they don't run as often as the ones in Portland and services in general are not as good. The grocery store nearby is adequate but not the huge store I was used to.

So having said all of that, do I regret my move? Not for one single minute! My rent and things in general are so much less which is the main reason I moved. I understand from my former neighbor Portland is coming out with yet another fee for people to pay monthly. They are nickel and diming people to death. Rents continue to soar. Someone on CD on the Portland forum mentioned a 25% rent hike within the last year. Food is way more costly there as well.

My apartment here is huge for $100 less than I was paying there with utilities uncluded which I did not have there. And in Portland my electric bill continued to soar while I continued to freeze trying to keep my heating bill down. And speaking of apartments, if I don't like it where I am at, there are plenty of others to choose from. There is no housing shortage here as here is there. I actually have my eye on a nice over 62 community nearby which I think would be good for someone like me who doesn't drive and would have lots of services for an individual who needs a bit of help but isn't totally disabled. More on those thoughts at another time.

I an in a beautiful walking neighborhood near Case Western University. They offer classes and events for non students. A block away are some shops and restaurants. The buses, although not too frequent during off-hours, do go to many places I need to go include several shopping centers and the RTA is redoing a light rail station just a few minutes away that would take me downtown.

I am just about ten minutes away by bus from the Cleveland Clinic. Last week my friend drove me to some beautiful places including the Cultural Gardens, I believe they are called, which is an area of gardens where different cultures are represented by sculptures in pristine settings. I bought a couple of books from the friendly bookstore lady who owns a shop around the corner that are all about Cleveland and Cleveland Heights so I can see what's what here.

I have found that people seem to be friendly and helpful. Each time I ride the bus and ask the driver about the street I need not only the driver but passengers will advise me. One time the driver let me off at a street I needed and it wasn't even a regular stop. When people ask me where I am from they are surprised and tell me they are used to hearing about people moving in the opposite direction; East to West. So I give them my reasons. They then tell me they love their city and even with its problems are proud of it and hope it is striving for improvements. What I like is as opposed to Portland, they are willing to admit there are problems. I feel that most people in Portland are either in denial or are blissfully unaware of some of the shameful conditions growing on the edges of that city due to gentrification. That's as political as I will get about the subject in this forum.

My 76 year old former neighbor in Portland worries she soon won't be able to afford her rent. I told her there is always room for her here but her kids are in Portland and her grandkids so she doesn't want to move. I am hoping they will help her out. She says it's lonely in the apartment complex now that I have gone. There are only young people there and no one is very friendly towards her which is par for the course. There used to be a mix of ages and we used to get together and have yard sales and barbecues but that changed awhile ago. She is active in her church and volunteers so she isn't isolated but it is nice to have friendly neighbors. It's a young people's neighborhood now. I guess that's happening in many cities around the country though although in my building we have young and old and the younger people are very friendly and respectful to this old lady.

Well, I see I am rambling so I think I will end this. For those brave enough to have stayed to the end, thanks.
Congratulations on your move! You are very brave.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:32 AM

492 posts, read 405,909 times
Minervah,
Congratulations on your successful move! Your neighborhood sounds lovely. I appreciate your coming back and letting us know how you are doing. I particularly appreciate it when posters reveal things that went well and things that didn't (ABF). Best wishes to you in your new home.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
You did it, and congratulations!

This is what counts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah
So having said all of that, do I regret my move? Not for one single minute!

Old 07-05-2014, 04:25 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,428 times
Minervah, it's so nice to hear from you! Congratulations on a brave and successful move----wishing you the best in the coming months as you settle in. I moved cross country when I was 59 and didn't know anyone in my new hometown/area. I think it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, but I, too, do not regret it. There have been many bumps in the road, loneliness, frustrations, etc. but I was so happy to move to an area that allows my health to improve. While still struggling with health issues, I do feel better than I have in years :-)

Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Congratulations on your move! You are very brave.
I second this! Minervah, enjoy the arts in Cleveland. One of the finest recordings I've heard is by the Cleveland Symphony. There's so much to do there. And the Clinic is first-rate with some of the finest doctors, including Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., M.D.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 PM

232 posts, read 348,385 times
Default Appreciate the Updates

Thank you, ladies, for updating your stories. The successes make me feel so positive. The bumps in the road help me and others learn.
I'll be moving my 93 yr old mom in with me in the next couple weeks. I had offered to stay in my house for the duration of her life so she doesn't have to move twice. But she insists we can start looking for my new place, as long as I take her with me! Although it will be hard to have a roommate for both of us independent women, I'm going to try to treasure the time we have together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement