Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times

Advertisements

You've had a very interesting life

I may be coming your way this spring - I need to see for myself or I'll always wonder. I drove through TN on my way to FL a couple years ago and was very impressed by the beauty. I pulled into a rest stop around midnight - it was packed and very quiet (people were sleeping). Then it started to gently rain and I swear that was the best sleep I'd had in years - it was so peaceful.

So, when I know for sure I'll send you a message and maybe we can meet up for coffee.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
You've had a very interesting life

I may be coming your way this spring - I need to see for myself or I'll always wonder. I drove through TN on my way to FL a couple years ago and was very impressed by the beauty. I pulled into a rest stop around midnight - it was packed and very quiet (people were sleeping). Then it started to gently rain and I swear that was the best sleep I'd had in years - it was so peaceful.

So, when I know for sure I'll send you a message and maybe we can meet up for coffee.
Sounds good! Do let me know. I'd love to meet up.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Default Anomoly's Visit

Hi Folks,

Just checking in after Anomoly's visit. She arrived here on Friday evening, and I met her in a little town nearby, so that she could follow me back to the house – I am in a very remote area, so usually I lead people back. We stopped at a little taqueria and had a late dinner, and then headed up to my house. She was lucky that her filled SUV made it up my hill! Her two little kitties were with her, too, so she was all packed up.

That evening, Anomoly settled into "The Shack," my other building, and her two kitties were thrilled to be in the woods. We talked for quite awhile, and then I went into the house and she stayed in the cottage with the kitties (I have three cats, so it was best to keep them all separated, although they all seem pretty mellow). Anomoly was a perfect guest: polite, considerate, gracious.

The next morning we drove to Santa Cruz, and I gave a short tour of the Monterey Bay – Pacific Ocean – and we ate breakfast at a restaurant on the wharf. Anomoly probably used her camera battery up taking tons of photos – I hope she posts a lot of them (except of ME – Miss Fatty), and she got a great photo of an Asian guy with colorful tattoos standing next to a pelican on the wharf. Did you know that pelicans have blue eyes? They do, and they also have yellow feathers, in addition to the grey tones. And an orange beak – very beautiful. I think this pelican must be used to getting food on the wharf, because he was not afraid of anyone.

We also got to see dozens of sea lions all sleeping together under the wharf. In fact, there were so many, that the stairs that we usually take to view under the wharf were lifted because there were so many sea lions on the lower deck! I hope her photos come out and you can see how many there were! She also got a lot of shots of the Beach Boardwalk, which she will have to roll together into a panorama. It was a gorgeous day – sunny, in the 70s, and beautiful California.

One thing that stood out was that Anomoly made me see my situation in a different way – which I have been musing over lately. She took lots of photos of my yard (which, in defense, I will say it is winter, so it is not the beautiful summer shots I normally take). She asked me why I wanted to move, and I said because in order to stay here, I'd have to continue to work full-time, and wanted to retire, instead of falling dead at my desk. Then she said, "If you live in Paradise, why wouldn't you want to stay – even if you have to work?" She made a valid point. Sometimes I forget what we have here, and that I have access to so much that many people don't.

With the economy the way it is (not good), I at least now feel better about being here. Anomoly also mentioned that she thought my place would be great for a retreat, and wondered if down-the-road a few people might want to come out for one? I don't have beds all over, but we can certainly sleep-bag and slumber party! Something to think about.

I don't know if she's in Yuma yet, or not. We'll have to wait for her to get some wi-fi and check in. I did not get a photo of her – she would not let me take one …. sorry.

All in all, it was a good visit. I'm sure she'll have feedback, too. I know she is traveling and she's gone down the entire coast, so it may be awhile before she checks in.

As Anomoly said, we have started the first link in the chain.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Wow. That is exciting, wisteria. Thanks for filling us in. I have always thought that your place sounded like a Paradise. Santa Cruz sort of reminds me of Santa Teresa (the fictional town that's in the Kinsey Milhone stories).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

One thing that stood out was that Anomoly made me see my situation in a different way – which I have been musing over lately. ... She asked me why I wanted to move, and I said because in order to stay here, I'd have to continue to work full-time, and wanted to retire, instead of falling dead at my desk. Then she said, "If you live in Paradise, why wouldn't you want to stay – even if you have to work?" She made a valid point. Sometimes I forget what we have here, and that I have access to so much that many people don't.

With the economy the way it is (not good), I at least now feel better about being here. Anomoly also mentioned that she thought my place would be great for a retreat, and wondered if down-the-road a few people might want to come out for one? I don't have beds all over, but we can certainly sleep-bag and slumber party! Something to think about.

Yes, time to get 'creative' - on the real estate / job front, those lucky? , enough to still have a job...

Having a nice place somewhere that you don't necessarily want to stay / can afford, sounds so familiar... (Living inside a national scenic area, 20 minutes from an International airport and downtown Portland, 1 hr to snow skiing, 1.5 to beach, 0.5 to best wind surfing in world but paying $33/day taxes for the privilege... )

So... home mortgage rates are going to their lowest point in past (And certainly future)...
Maybe, (if you still have a job... tough for those of us without)
...a 'derivative' of the fractional ownership thing.
1) get a fixed 30 yr on primary residence that covers plenty of equity and frees cash for investment income property...(yikes, debt doesn't sound good. BUT CHEAP (secured) debt is not always a bad thing)
2) fix up the joint to allow multiple 'boarders' (note... not renters... CD gals from this board or similar)
challenge for Wisteria is septic, maybe 'composting' toilet and recycle gray water can be legal option... or... late night mole attack in back yard to improve existing septic
3) Use equity to buy income prop in your 'desired' future location (Like the mobile home park mentioned in Sonora, or one in LC)
a) you could get positive cash flow to satisfy your 'low rate home mortgage'...
b) the income property would be 'paid off' (by home mortgage), so if the bottom fell out, you could have a place to go.
c) you could offset income with the loan payments and use your travel between the two as a deduction / expense.
4) enjoy the option of multiple locations
a) find some way to get someone to care for your yard at home...(a CD gal that loves to garden ) In my case it would be someone who loves to mow a few times / week. (100+ " of rain)
b) determine what places might be good choices for Long Term location.

Then... when / if Real estate recovers... you can sell both places and select your 'long term abode' (knowing more by then). If it doesn't recover, you still have a choice of 2 spots.

keep thinking of options, I need a few

Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 AM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
Now that I've finished reading every post from the beginning, it is my evening treat to look and see who has posted a morsel of wisdom today. Comments on here have caused me to see my situation in another way, too - and perhaps that is the gift that may end up being enough ...interspersed with the opportunity to meet other seekers and communicators. It is amazing - or perhaps it is women who are amazing. I was sent this you tube today and it confirms that there should be more of us in the world ... great to watch if you get a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_4qwVLqt9Q

I'm still interested in that writing project that either Wisteria or Nancy the Reader put out as an idea - if anyone is interested in pursuing it further.

Knoxgarden - I must admit TN sounds far more interesting through your eyes than it has sounded to me before. So much so that I find myself thinking " Well, maybe that is the answer and I should just focus on it". I have family in Oak Ridge, Chattanooga and Memphis. I haven't been there in years, however. The naturopath comment was surprising - and would be something for me to think about as well.

janb - I love your to the point practical focus on forward momentum. And I absolutely love the idea of the CD gals meeting or boarding at Wisteria's. Honestly, Wisteria's location sounds like a dream place to me I think Northern California is the most perfect place - beauty, weather, terrain, ocean, interesting and interested people - it has it all - except affordability!

We've had 84 inches of snow since December 1. Almost any place else is sounding good! I met with a financial planner to today to start the process of defining my situation and options. I've never done anything like that before ... but I figure this is a good time to get some extra guidance ... or at least a better understanding of what my economic situation will be as the years roll by. It is truly a different feeling to be at the point where jobs may be harder to get because of age and professional opportunity is not all out in front of me anymore.

I'm headed to the San Francisco area for the next seven days - staying just north of there in San Rafael. Is anyone from that area ?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,609 times
Wink St. George UT is nice

I live in a Park Model Mobile home park in St. George, UT. There are quite a few of them here.

The park model is quite small about 399 sq ft. but is great for a single person.

I own the land and the park model and HOA fees are $85 per month which include cable, yard service, water, sewer, and garbage.

It is very hot in the summer but in about 20 minutes you can be in the mountains. If you like the outdoors this is the place for you. Zion National park is about 30 minutes away and there are many fishing, camping and hiking spots.

There are many opportunites to volunteer and there musical theaters and college events.

I was 60 when I retired three years ago and really like it here.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Oldutahgal - I've looked into St. George - it sounds like an intersting place and it's close to Best Friends in Kanab. It remains on my list of places to visit before make a final decision.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldutahgal View Post
I live in a Park Model Mobile home park in St. George, UT. There are quite a few of them here.

The park model is quite small about 399 sq ft. but is great for a single person.

I own the land and the park model and HOA fees are $85 per month which include cable, yard service, water, sewer, and garbage.

It is very hot in the summer but in about 20 minutes you can be in the mountains. If you like the outdoors this is the place for you. Zion National park is about 30 minutes away and there are many fishing, camping and hiking spots.

There are many opportunites to volunteer and there musical theaters and college events.

The area sounds very interesting. Do the mobile home parks allow dogs? How cold does it get in the winter?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldutahgal View Post

I do have one more question....how long are the "hot" summers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement