Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Geeeez, now here I thought the various QE programs while presenting some problems has also caused the stock market to soar thus bolsterng the retirement accounts of Millions of Americans.
But that could easily be another bubble. This is wealth on paper only remember.
2008 saw them fall sharply.

The risk is just too great in stocks these days IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
lets not forget the greatest bond market rally in history too. stocks are no where near a bubble. they were expensive at this level 12 years ago. today they are fairly priced based on earnings.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I am also VERY tired fo your continued attempts to tell others what they should and shouldn't do on an open forum. (Which you are not a moderator of.)

Have a nice day.
I have a point of view to share so.......You also have the right to read my topics and not comment or better yet read my topics and offer a different point of view as part of a robust open discussion.

When people try to shut down a topic as you have done here it makes me wonder what it is that you're hiding that you don't want discussed in a topic I posted. You don't have to like what I say but you can not stop me from saying in a polite manner.

Either way if you disagree with my source, and another members source, it pays to remember that the topic, not the posting member or the source, is ok to comment on per TOS not make rude or derogatory disparaging remarks about the poster or the source.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 PM

I like how the article talks about low rates crushing savers.

Higher rates go with higher inflation and for the most part your always at zero after taxes and inflation unless your in the lowest brackets.

I didnt see any mention of the incredible capital gains bonds have seen just because of falling rates.

Why do all these stupid articles only talk about those that did the wrong thing or planned badley by trying to hide under a rock in a bank

Did someone forget to tell the auther of that trash low rates are not just something the fed invented.

Its worldwide,countries around the world are at all time lows. Sweeden had their 5 year bond paying a negative rate.

So far all the qe,s have done is brought us closer to deflation as more and more sectors are slowing down and cutting earnings estimates.

With more and more of our pay going into food,energy and healthcare all the other sectors are suffering for it.

Thats not inflation

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-19-2012 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I have a point of view to share so.......You also have the right to read my topics and not comment or better yet read my topics and offer a different point of view as part of a robust open discussion.

When people try to shut down a topic as you have done here it makes me wonder what it is that you're hiding that you don't want discussed in a topic I posted. You don't have to like what I say but you can not stop me from saying in a polite manner.

Either way if you disagree with my source, and another members source, it pays to remember that the topic, not the posting member or the source, is ok to comment on per TOS not make rude or derogatory disparaging remarks about the poster or the source.
It seems to be a regular favorite sport of some posters to attack viewpoints out of hand, without any supporting sources to their own viewpoint. That is a thread-killer, or at least their attempt at it. These regulars just love to pounce on what they call "tinfoil hats" and "doomsayers" without any credible backup of their own. Let's remember that EVERY source is touting an overt or hidden agenda, whether it's the economic collapse websites pushing gold, or other sources pushing stocks. Agendas abound, and very rarely is there a truly objective (agenda-free) source to be found in the media or anywhere else.

In the meantime, can the real thread killers stand up and offer their counter-argument in an adult way.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:

Hello Pot...
(This coming from the person I see MOST OFTEN trying to stifle others comments)

I DID offer an opinion... One which many here seem to share about all the 'Sky is falling' things you post.

You do a disservice to those of us who try to wake others up.
-By that I mean live a life of minimal debt, reasonable precautions, and independence in all things.

A buddy of mine went from voting for obama, and owning nothing but a hunting shotgun, to someone who CCW's daily, is getting out of debt, growing a garden, seeking alternate forms of energy, keeping a deep pantry, and voting (Conservative) third party.

I did NOT accomplish this by screaming 'the sky is falling' when we first met, or any time thereafter.

Rather I presented him with gradually accumulating information about the world, and how he could secure the safety of his family.(Then topped it with the book "One second After")

I have no desire to end the topic, just your incessant posting from 'tinfoil hat' sites, rather than EQUALL good sources which are more accepted! (Which would be an assist to our cause, rather than hurting it as you do.)

As to you saying things in a polite manner... that would be a welcome change!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Rather I presented him with gradually accumulating information about the world, and how he could secure the safety of his family.(Then topped it with the book "One second After")

Hmmn...talk about tin-foil survivalist doom-and-gloom collapse...and with a foreword by Newt it's got to be good.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hmmn...talk about tin-foil survivalist doom-and-gloom collapse...and with a foreword by Newt it's got to be good.
Oh no! Not another new thread!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Together again,for the first time lol

Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:

I think you and Happy in Wyoming should hook-up. You'd make a lovely couple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement