Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,350,651 times

Advertisements

I was talking this morning with someone about the great health that some seniors we know seem to be in. They are active, do their daily exercise and get around very well. The question then came up about driving. Do you think there should be a mandatory age at which seniors are not allowed to drive or should driving be dependent on their health and ability to function behind the wheel regardless of age? Do you think a 90 year old in good health should be allowed to drive? What is the age of some older seniors that you know are still driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,551,761 times
Asked before and answered: //www.city-data.com/forum/retir...k-serious.html

Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM

6,637 posts, read 7,378,834 times
If we have a mandatory cut off then it should apply to paying all taxes so we can hire taxis.

The ability to drive should be based on the individuals ability to drive and not on age. I can see, do to costs, not rechecking citizens under x age. Doctors should also be involved when they have a client of any age that may not be able to drive. The person should be referred for testing.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,350,651 times
Curmudgeon, thanks for the link. Looks like that was a good one.

rjm1cc, I agree about ability and not age. Interesting other points.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,427,703 times
AARP has an excellent class on this very subject. And this is a touchy issue.

Think to yourself...when will I know it is time for me to stop driving? What situations will happen, that could indicate it is time to stop? I suggest looking into alternatives to driving in your area. Our town has quite a system set up, the hospital will provide transportation, many doctors provide transportation. There are stores that do delivery.

Really...a car is not a needed item. It is an expense..gas, insurance...

Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,134,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Think to yourself...when will I know it is time for me to stop driving? What situations will happen, that could indicate it is time to stop? I suggest looking into alternatives to driving in your area. Our town has quite a system set up, the hospital will provide transportation, many doctors provide transportation. There are stores that do delivery.

Really...a car is not a needed item. It is an expense..gas, insurance...
Good points.... and yet I can see the other side, too, for those who live in isolated areas. My friend in Hot Springs Village, AR thought he wouldn't need a car because the HOA has vans that take people to all sorts of things. For 20 or so years that was a good plan but as the recession drags on, HSV is starting to cut back on services like that. HSV is a huge campus in the middle of nowhere--the closest stores are mostly 8-10 miles away, and taxi service is not really available. Without a car he can't even go to the HOA gym.

This past year he's spent far too many days stuck at home, unless e can find a friend willing to give him a ride. He has gone from being a person who loved loved loved HSV to being a person who now is regretting his situation. He still likes HSV, but regrets giving up the car (even though he doesn't want to drive anymore, either).

Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Which is why...over age 60...plan on buying any property....do a "walkability" grid on the address. Make sure public transportation is nearby. And over age 60...start thinking about your current home and if it is user friendly for a person who may have to stop driving. Macular degeneration is the number one cause of blindness among seniors. Transportation barriers are huge in this population, leading to depression and isolation. So....live in an pedestrian friendly area.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,422,120 times
You can pretty much look at the senior's general "vivaciousness" behind the wheel when you're next to them, or pass them. If they're looking around, adjusting the radio, and holding the wheel in a relaxed manner, then they're usually ok. It's when they look straight forward, are tiny/frail and struggling to look over the steering wheel, and grab the steering wheel like it's going to fall off, then I'd be worried.

My Mom has this elderly friend who kept on driving for as long as she could. She bought me lunch at an Italian grocery store with a deli, and I was then supposed to follow her home in my rental car. She was on an LA street that was 2 lanes in each direction, with NO turning lane. She had chosen to use the inside lane and I was watching her wheels get close to the double-yellow line on numerous occasions. Her son finally forced her to give up this ridiculously low mileage car, and she went downhill quickly after that.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,182,024 times
No offense to the previous poster, but most people 60 to 80 or 85ish can drive just fine. But I get your point--you just never know what is going to happen.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Ha. I talked to someone awhile back...she had neck and back problems, extreme limited range of movement...could barely move her head. And....she was still driving! She had a problem with seizures, poor control of her blood sugar...on more meds than normal....and she would not give it up.

In many states doctors do not have to report patients who should not drive. It is up to the person to give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement