Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM

739 posts, read 2,177,900 times

Advertisements

Has any state employee had experience with the Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision reduction to their Social Security?

It's actually my spouses government pension but I'll have to take a 25% reduction in my Social Security because we're divorcing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,493,792 times
Your best bet is to check here:

Windfall elimination provision (WEP)

and here:

Noncovered Pension May Affect Spouse or Widow/Widower Benefit

From my general reading, you may not see any reduction. If you have 30 years of substantial earnings WEP will not affect your benefit. Also, I read it as if you were earning the government pension, not your ex. In other words, I don't think it will affect your SS benefit unless part of your earnings history included a government pension with no SS contributions.

The GPO applies to your ex, in that if you die and he is entitled to your SS benefits, it will be reduced.

In any case, read it yourself to see if it reads the same to you. Your best bet to to talk to someone at SSA, but be sure they understand how WEP and GPO works as it is confusing.

I'm getting a reduction because I had a period where I didn't pay SS. If I die first, my wife will probably get no or little SS because of her government pension. Your situation doesn't sound like ours, so may not see any reduction.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 PM

739 posts, read 2,177,900 times
thanks. it's difficult to get a straight answer.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,493,792 times
I agree. That's why I use more of a deduction than what it should be in my plan and I figure my wife will get nothing when I die. If we can live on that, we should be OK.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,784 times
If you have ANY income, in the US, which is not taxed by Social Security, they will deduct up to 50% of your social security. I worked for the State of Michigan and did not pay into SS from that employer. During this time, I also was in the Army National Guard and paid into SS during this 30 years. It doesn't matter that I paid into SS, they still reduce my benefit by 50%. I have worked enough quarters since retiring from the state to qualify for full SS but they still refuse to pay me my full SS. The result is I get $345 a month after paying my medicare costs, which will double within the next two years. Enjoy!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,915,295 times
MadMan of Bethesda use to do seminars on this topic and hopefully he is available to jump in.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM

9,299 posts, read 16,590,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcooke314 View Post
If you have ANY income, in the US, which is not taxed by Social Security, they will deduct up to 50% of your social security. I worked for the State of Michigan and did not pay into SS from that employer. During this time, I also was in the Army National Guard and paid into SS during this 30 years. It doesn't matter that I paid into SS, they still reduce my benefit by 50%. I have worked enough quarters since retiring from the state to qualify for full SS but they still refuse to pay me my full SS. The result is I get $345 a month after paying my medicare costs, which will double within the next two years. Enjoy!
I served 20 years in the military and when I retired my SS was not reduced at all.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,842,130 times
Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcooke314 View Post
The word "any" is not correct. It needs to be replaced with the word "substantial". The following quote is from the Social Security website:

"If you get a relatively low pension, you are protected. The reduction in your Social Security benefit cannot be more than one-half of the amount of your pension that is based on earnings after 1956 on which you did not pay Social Security taxes."

You act like you are not aware of the essential fairness of the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), to which I am also subject. Why should we receive the higher amount of Social Security (as a percentage of life-time earnings) as if we were low wage earners, when we were not, in fact, low wage earners because we have a substantial pension outside of Social Security?

You do not say how many years you worked for the State of Michigan or what your monthly pension is from Michigan. It is disengenuous on your part to state that you "get $350 a month" as if that is what you had to live on. You have a substantial pension from Michigan in addition to your $350 from Social Security.

I would suggest you spend some time with the links provided by another poster above and educate yourself about the reasons for the WEP, which are completely just, fair, and reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement