Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regarding 55+ communities... would you consider living in a smaller residence in trade for better co
Yes, I would gladly consider a smaller residence 18 81.82%
No, size is more important 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 AM

171 posts, read 208,581 times

Advertisements

Just picking folks brains again. If you're considering an active adult community and have a fixed amount to spend on your residence... would you consider living in a smaller residence in a community that really has the type of amenities you are looking for OR is the size of your residence more important to you?

Last edited by RTYD; 12-06-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,898,619 times
In terms of aging....

Amenities in a neighborhood or community are, imo, much more important than house/apt. size. Life is not confined inside a home. I found that out by moving from one nearby community (where there was nothing to do--suburban) to another where there is so much to do (in-town). Although I unintentionally added square footage to my house, I would gladly have accepted less to live in a community like this. In fact, when this place is too big for me in a few years, I will likely stay in this town in a smaller place. But that's me...I thrive on things to do especially in the evening and I cannot drive far due to a mobility issue. I also cannot sit too long and so vegging out in front of the TV or laptop is not good for me. Even if I do nothing more than take a safe evening walk on the town campus I'm good.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,952,334 times
I tend to be a person who uses HOA amenities, and we're intending to downsize (a little) in retirement, so I'd probably vote for more amenities. It depends on what the amenities are, of course, and just how small the living quarters would be.

The trick for you will be figuring out which amenities to include, since everyone seems to like different things.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,455,936 times
Wasn't the same question recently asked in a different discussion?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 AM

737 posts, read 1,143,265 times
Amenities are more important. This is the smallest place (less than 1/3 the size of last home) I have ever lived in but there is so much more to do here.

If only 1 or 2 people why would you want more than 1 bedroom? I am not a hotel for friends and relatives. All of the extra space I've had before such as a work shop or library are amenities where I live now. A bigger place is more money to purchase, more taxes, higher HOA fee, higher utilites, higher insurance.

I don't want more room to put stuff. It took too long to get rid of the stuff I had before.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,422,662 times
While I don't want a bigger place (we have 2200 sq feet now in our pre-retirement home).. because there's more to clean (bwah!)... I DO like that I can have my own space in the house with my husband.

We can be doing two different activities (he's an audiophile) - and not disturb one another.

Community amenities are important - but I"m clearly not convinced that living in an HOA is the ticket for us. I think we're rather hire out than feel like renters in a place we own.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
I want amenities within several miles, but they don't have to be amenities offered by the association where we live. When I say amenities, i mean such things as groceries, gas, vet, doc, hospital, restaurants, etc.

The only amenity I am really interested in, as far as a housing community, would be a clubhouse that I could use for entertaining a large group now and then.

I do not like swimming or being in a jacuzzi with other people, so such things as that are of no interest to me. Also, I am not interested in group activities. If I want to take a yoga class, I would like to have a studio within a few miles.

Space is definitely more important to me that on-site amenities. But in any case, I don't want to live more than 5 miles or so from the basics (groceries and gas).

Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,118,764 times
Although I have gotten into larger quarters lately I did think seriously into retireing into a 400 sqft. home.

Amenities are definitely important and I held out to wife untill she came up with the mountain view and central air and dishwasher that she desired in a community that offered all the amenities that I desired. So now I am accepting a house with 1400 sqft. although it is harder to keep cleaned up.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,468,523 times
Why would anyone want a big home after retirement? Umm...to impress the neighbors or friends?

Me: the smallist house that works. Big enough to house the kids and friends. That's it. 1600sf.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,844,773 times
We moved from a split level home - 3 living levels + basement + attic - to a 1900 sf single level on a slab with not a lot of attic space and I love it! We do have 2 bedrooms, but one of them I made into my craft room. It is so nice to be able to do laundry and carry it directly to the bedroom without going up 2 flights of steps! We also had about 1.5 acres of land and now have about 1/6 of an acre. Hubby decided that he didn't want to to have spend hours mowing the lawn after retirement and more time on his hobbies and interests. Plus this house is big enough for me to have to clean! There are larger ones in here, but for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would want something that big.

As far as the original post, there are a lot of activities here as well as amenities, but so far we really don't use them much since we are both still working. But I'm glad to have them available so that once we do retire we can take advantage. Plus being together 24/7 would probably drive us nuts, so we are able to take advantage of different interests, yet still not have to drive to far points. With buildup of our community, as well as other family communities, we are gaining a large variety of shopping in the area so don't have to go far for that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement