Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times

Advertisements

I live in a congested county of 3.5 million and still growing. House prices in my area start at around $600K, which is sick for a little cookie cutter stucco tract job. I live in a 900 sq ft apartment that rents for a little under $1400 per month. Yes, weather is nice year round, but I am not a weather wuss, I've lived in plenty of other places with more variety of temps and that does not bother me at all. I have a short list of places where I will be able to live comfortably and economically, in a less congested area where I am not taxed to the hilt on everything like in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM

18,724 posts, read 33,385,615 times
The more I think about how I would live in other places, the more I realize that I am thinking of vacation, or extended vacations. Of course, that's a pricey way to go, but despite my rather hermit-like existence here, I don't think I'd want to leave full-time. For me, imagining living elsewhere is partly a vacation hangover and partly a fantasy of becoming part of a community in a way I've never learned right here. That's just me.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I live in a congested county of 3.5 million and still growing. House prices in my area start at around $600K, which is sick for a little cookie cutter stucco tract job. I live in a 900 sq ft apartment that rents for a little under $1400 per month. Yes, weather is nice year round, but I am not a weather wuss, I've lived in plenty of other places with more variety of temps and that does not bother me at all. I have a short list of places where I will be able to live comfortably and economically, in a less congested area where I am not taxed to the hilt on everything like in California.
I live in a state with less than half of your county's population.

A house in your area costs 7.5 times more than my forest acreage and house cost me.

I was raised in California. There are better places to be.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times
We have to move away from the family some, both kids live very close by with in a mile or two and that is wonderful but it is very costly too (for us). Once we move away they will have to fend for themselves and I'm hoping that they will finally get a handle on it.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The location that was good for me when I was growing up and newly married was not good for me when I was moving up at work and divorced. The location that was good for me when I was moving up at work, was not good for me in retirement. There's nothing wrong with any of the 3 places. They were just better suited to different stages of my life.

The town I am living in now offers the kind of activities I enjoy in retirement. I'm never bored. This past week I attended 3 lectures on The Civil War, Nuclear Nonproliferation and Northern India. My nonfiction book group met. I drove to The Great Smoky Mountain National Park and took photos. I drove to the Foothills Parkway and Norris Dam to take photos. I attended a street painting fair. I made my first ever DVD from my photos and added music. I had to skip a concert that I had a ticket for because I was too pooped. The point is I enjoy these type of things but they would not have been available to me had I stayed put where I was living before I retired or if I moved back to my hometown.
Sounds pretty ideal to me. I agree. There were certain things that I either wanted or needed out of life years ago, but everything is different now.
I look forward to finding some nice looking area with lots to do and lots of other grown-ups to meet. Lectures, classes, museums... I hope I don't find my perfect retirement city too soon or I might want to quit and move right now!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Why do people feel the need...

What I worry about - retirement - is being lonely or not having enough to do. These posts have helped me with all the different viewpoints! Thanks.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
We will not be fully retired for at least 10 years, but we moved to the state that we will stay put in. I do miss my friends, alot and we have not been successful in making friends as good as the ones we left behind. Food for thought.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM

82 posts, read 280,117 times
I live in Orange County, CA, when I retire, I cannot afford to pay the house payment and the HOA, food, transportation and medical costs all at once!
I didn't mention clothing because I haven't bought any in a long time.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:09 AM

18,724 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I wonder how many people besides me contemplate "retirement" without saying "we" or "us." Does that make a big difference to people. I mean, when you're at least decently married, you take a lot of what you need with you. True, alone, you don't have to compromise or please anyone else, but going somewhere brand new/alone is quite a thing to consider... I moved a lot in my 20s (alone) and while my current home area complete with dream house is quite expensive, I don't relish the thought of starting over. (I do relish the thought of extended vacation-type trips, and maybe considering from there moving somewhere full-time.
I also am all too aware of the long-term future, and not wanting to be car-dependent, or what to do if/when I can't drive, that is, in significant older age.
How I wish the Mountain West was, oh, a three-hour drive from Boston.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I wonder how many people besides me contemplate "retirement" without saying "we" or "us." Does that make a big difference to people. I mean, when you're at least decently married, you take a lot of what you need with you. True, alone, you don't have to compromise or please anyone else, but going somewhere brand new/alone is quite a thing to consider... I moved a lot in my 20s (alone) and while my current home area complete with dream house is quite expensive, I don't relish the thought of starting over. (I do relish the thought of extended vacation-type trips, and maybe considering from there moving somewhere full-time.
I also am all too aware of the long-term future, and not wanting to be car-dependent, or what to do if/when I can't drive, that is, in significant older age.
How I wish the Mountain West was, oh, a three-hour drive from Boston.
I think it must make a big difference. I have to base my retirement living on what I can afford by myself - maybe if I had another income/another social security or pension - I could stay where I am.

I figure I have 3 choices: 1) I can move in with my partner of 5 years (which, hopefully will happen); 2) I can stay in the area but live with a bunch of friends who are planning to buy a big house after we sell our condos and houses; 3) I can go back to upstate NY, and live like a Queen in my hometown, with rents at $400/month! I could even live in the family home; problem is, I really hate it up there! But, that is sort of the last resort.

I cannot afford to stay in my own condo - too expensive once I no longer have a job. I moved a lot in my youth, and ended up in the Boston area about 30 years ago. I left NYS because I disliked it so much.

It's nice if you can stay where you want to stay, assuming you don't want to move, but many people have to move for financial reasons because their income is going to become lower and fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement