Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,515,381 times

Advertisements

I have killed two birds with one stone!
Every day I saunter down the asphalt sidewalk with my
eyes peeled open looking for the glint of coins.
When I spy one, I plie to pick it up!
At home, I keep all loot in a jar and when full
count it. Last jar had $17.52.
Free exercise and treasure too!. Life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,060,976 times
Your post reminds me of a story I read, yesterday that you might enjoy. Perhaps you should invest in a metal detector.

Gold nugget worth ÂŁ200k found by man using metal detector in the Australian bush - video - Mirror Online

Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Frugal at first but becoming less frugal as time moves on and probably not frugal at all anymore.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
I want to become more frugal, but right now it's not going well. Yesterday my attempt at following one of the frugal tips in the "shoestring" forum resulted in my spend more money than if I had just done the job the right way from the start. Oh well, it wasn't a big deal, just funny how my efforts to be frugal are going awry.

Here's the saga of my efforts to paint a closet frugally--if anyone's interested.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/27824372-post3245.html

Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,622 times
i've been retired for 10 years, and i live a similar lifestyle as i did when i was working. i do buy many fewer clothes, and, even though i never traveled extensively in working years, i travel much less now, by choice. i do eat out once or twice a week, and did more than that when working. these days, eating out is usually lunch, but occasionally will do a dinner out.
i've never been really frugal but in the years i worked, usually had more expenses- much higher mortgage, much higher real estate tax, often a second mortgage for remodeling projects, purchases for the house, much more entertaining at home, more travel- than i do now. i live in a moderate cost of living area and have no recurring debts other than small mortgage. since my retirement income is similar to what i made when working,i'm still able to save a fair amount each month; since my expenses are a great deal less, i don't feel any great need to become really frugal. i have to admitt, for someone who never was frugal, living that way now would be difficult. i don't know what the future will be financially for me- i don't count on things never changing-, but am grateful that i've been able to do as well as i have so far.

catsy girl

Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,477,136 times
My profession required that I spend a great deal on maintaining my profession. Educational courses, tools, grooming, suits, etc.

I also had to move frequently to new locations.

I have now been retired for over 10 years. My pension is around 1/3 of my working income. I do not think that my frugality is any more now than it was before.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,851,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Frugal at first but becoming less frugal as time moves on and probably not frugal at all anymore.
Same here -- Once we confirmed that our planning had paid off and we could live comfortably on what we have for the rest of our lives --- there is no more 'future retirement' to plan and save for. (Yes, we've also planned for potential health problems and a failing economy, but, not to the point where we are paralyzed by fear). Of course, we've always lived pretty conservatively 'within our means' to get where we are, but, beyond saving some for the kids, scrimping and saving is not really part of the retirement lifestyle we saved for. (However, in all honesty, we have definitely been blessed).

Last edited by jghorton; 01-20-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
i am loosening up some. i stopped shopping at thrift stores. i buy new (on ebay)

Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Same here -- Once we confirmed that our planning had paid off and we could live comfortably on what we have for the rest of our lives --- there is no more 'future retirement' to plan and save for. (Yes, we've also planned for potential health problems and a failing economy, but, not to the point where we are paralyzed by fear). Of course, we've always lived pretty conservatively 'within our means' to get where we are, but, beyond saving some for the kids, scrimping and saving is not really part of the retirement lifestyle we saved for. (However, in all honesty, we have definitely been blessed).
Yes blessed and I say thank you every night

Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,924,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I have killed two birds with one stone!
Every day I saunter down the asphalt sidewalk with my
eyes peeled open looking for the glint of coins.
When I spy one, I plie to pick it up!
At home, I keep all loot in a jar and when full
count it. Last jar had $17.52.
Free exercise and treasure too!. Life is good.
I'm glad you have discovered such an exciting activity. The rest of us should be so lucky. Exercise, mental stimulation, challenges, financial gain, deeply gratifying results. You've got the makings of a book on how to create meaningful activities in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement