Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times

Advertisements

I don't expect any responses here, but just for your information there is an interesting discussion of other people's reactions to the OP's early retirement in the "Non-romantic relationships Forum" entitled "Awkwardness around my young retirement".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Ty, great thread.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
"Relationships" and "Politics and Other Controversies" were two forums I read a couple of times and decided to never, never visit again.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
"Relationships" and "Politics and Other Controversies" were two forums I read a couple of times and decided to never, never visit again.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts! (without me burning my 'pay-per-byte' ISP charges)

I appreciate your reporting service, and I will write off any interest in pursuing that activity.

JMHO, Your 'retirement' priorities may be different! (I certainly hope so!, the folks on those forums need all the REASON they can get exposure to)

Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Well, it is a pretty personal opinion.

If someone likes reality TV, then maybe the Relationships forum might be fascinating and fun, in a sort of "watch the train wreck" way.

If someone listens to political talk radio all day and likes to forward those highly irritating chain email letters that would take 30 seconds of internet searching to realize that they are hoaxes or a flat-out lie, the maybe the POC forum would be entertaining or fun.

To me, certain parts of the internet are filled with really angry people and I have better things to do with my life than listen to angry people rant away. There is a discussion in this forum about what makes someone "senior" and I think that, other than physical issues, the point at which many people I know/have known became "senior" is when they let being angry take them over. Don't be that angry old person in the corner ranting about "them." Life is much too sweet and much too short.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
I read that post and replied. I too retired early, and have heard some negative comments. When some one says, "Must be nice", I reply sure is, I'm going fishing.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I read that post and replied. I too retired early, and have heard some negative comments. When some one says, "Must be nice", I reply sure is, I'm going fishing.
My prediction when I retire:

Resentment from the siblings.
Calls from their children asking how THEY can do it.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I have no quarrel whatsoever with your decision, but I want to point out that "Non-romantic relationships" is a different and separate forum from "Relationships". The former seems a lot saner than the latter. The former has more to do with parent/adult children relationships, and relationships among siblings and among platonic friends. The male bashing/female bashing seems largely absent.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
I don't think I've ever remarked on someone retiring early. I think it's a personal decision and if the person has a plan as to what to do after retirement, it's totally up to them. Who are any of us to judge what a person does with their life? There certainly does seem to be a lot of judgement these days from total strangers as to what someone does with their life. Of course, by the same token, I know more about the personal lives of these same people than I care to. Between forums such as this and overhead cell phone conversations in the grocery store, I know a lot about a person's personal business.

In the old days, we'd just watch soap operas to get our shock value. Now we have internet forums and cell phones in public.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My prediction when I retire:

Resentment from the siblings.
Calls from their children asking how THEY can do it.
Yeah, that happened to me. My sister is 2 years younger and I got a few snarky remarks when I retired and still get an occasional "So you lucked out...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement