U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:22 AM

3,880 posts, read 2,186,669 times

Advertisements

I don't really care other than checking for my finances surviving over that specific time but it's easy peasy for me since my last day of employment was December 31 & retirement officially started Jan 1.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 AM

6,238 posts, read 2,800,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I'm curious if others had and held onto the sense of elation and excitement or if others felt a less dramatic conclusion that that they may have expected.
It still doesn't seem real to me. And it's been 3 years. It coincided with my hip going out before that. Up until then, I was still looking to work for a couple more years, but that clinched retirement.

I'm elated each day, unreal as it seems.

But my job was seasonal, so lots of time off and sleeping in.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:49 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,954,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Do you consider your anniversay the day your retired or the first day you were retired?

Not retired yet, but what a great question to ponder!!!!

Well, I got up and went to work on the day I retired, so I wasn't retired that day. The first day I didn't go to work was my actual first day of retirement.

I don't remember the date, actually.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:57 PM

6,550 posts, read 4,403,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I'm curious if others had and held onto the sense of elation and excitement or if others felt a less dramatic conclusion than that they may have expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I'm elated each day, unreal as it seems.
I'm still elated each day too - after almost 9 years of retirement!

Never having been a morning person, and working 38 years, I love being able to sleep as long as I want to every morning - love it! -

and stay up as late as I want at night watching live jazz musicians perform in Smalls Jazz Club in New York City - (live streamed until 4:00am eastern)

And do whatever I want every day.

I don't understand why the exact day of retirement is meaningful or interesting and as some sort of anniversary.... lyndyb restarted this thread yesterday with an interest in elation and its level upon and throughout retirement as opposed to the former.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-07-2019 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 06:05 PM

19,167 posts, read 20,423,176 times
I remember the month and year that I retired from my career and started to receive my pension, because every time that I have a medical appointment they ask that date (for Medicare).

However, I worked full time for six more years after that before my "actual retirement" (to become a full time caregiver for my late spouse).

Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 AM

776 posts, read 509,997 times
I don't know.
I stopped working full time in 2013 and became a contractor working part-time for the same company on random projects. I worked in this fashion almost entirely from home for a few more years. As the new people gradually took over the things that I had been responsible for, the amount of work reduced to a dribble, and I haven't had any more requests for a while now. I don't even recall exactly what year I last got paid.

I am a case of it's better to fade away than to burn out.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:06 AM

15,963 posts, read 28,300,470 times
I consider the last day I worked as my retirement date, since I had to keep putting it in for scheduling and official leaving. Jan.23, 2018. The three months after are a blur as I was overwhelmed with details of house sale and move to Colorado with four dogs to a newly built house. So I arrived in Colorado April 23, 2018, and that date does stand out in my mind as beginning my new place retired life.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:31 PM

3,554 posts, read 579,701 times
I count my last actual day of work as my retirement anniversary, I think because of my memory of how beautiful it was to walk out the door knowing that I was closing that chapter of my life. It literally felt like the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders and I remember just grinning from ear to ear. What a great day!

Old 03-02-2021, 05:51 PM

13,139 posts, read 6,648,815 times
The closest I get to acknowledging the "anniversary" is the month. The day doesn't matter. The glow of gay abandon/disbelief lasted much longer than 24 hours. That being said, that day was simply the last day I was paid for my time. Still faced 5 months of work preparing to move to a new town 600 miles away; preparing and listing one house, buying another, sorting, packing, contracting with movers, 5 days on a ferry, waiting 3 weeks at a motel for household goods to catch up with me. Finally felt completely retired when all the boxes were unpacked.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

68,112 posts, read 63,467,026 times
I reflected on the fact that I retired five years ago last week. I am still trying to remember if my last day was February 26 or February 27. I know it's on a piece of paper that is not where I am at the moment.

It's also on the NYS employees' retirement site, I'm sure. If I can remember my password...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement