U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 AM

2,654 posts, read 1,010,605 times

Advertisements

First day of freedom, not the last day of work. If I worked, I wasn't "retired".

I will say, retirement has been wonderful, even with Covid screwing up my plans to travel and play.

Every day I get up. Every night I set my head on a pillow. In between, whether I do something, or nothing or see someone or nobody, I am still being paid to do nothing, and living for "free". I don't have to do a thing to have a roof over my head and food in my stomach. The very concept defies logic, but is very welcome.

I am SOOOO fortunate to live in a day and age, and in a society where the concept of retirement was adopted and endures. For almost all of recorded history, and certainly prehistory, there was no such thing as retirement. You were independently wealthy or you were not. You were King and others provided everything for you to loaf and do nothing, or you were a serf and toiled for the King before yourself.

I am so blessed. Sometimes when I think about it, it boggles the mind how fortunate I am to be able to live day in and day out for doing nothing.

If you live 100% off your savings alone, then pat yourself on the back because you have funded your own "retirement". You earned it.

I mostly live off a pension and I can say I am blessed, humbled, and overwhelmingly grateful to the people paying for it so I can live month in and month out producing nothing of value for society. Oh, on paper the pension is paid for by investments, but somebody is still contributing to those investments, so I am grateful to all of them. Not quite a ponzi scheme as the investments produce as much as the contributions do, but still and all, I am grateful and appreciative.

There is no down side to retirement that I can see. Aging yes, retiring no.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 03-04-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement