Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i have for many years, but not as much now that i don't get the "hometown paper". if i look at the paper online, and check the obituaries, i can usually find someone i know or used to know.
i've been fascinated with obituaries since i was a young adult, and more so, when i worked in geriatric social work.
however, i also like to read the dictionary- yes, i still have one- and my old high school grammar book from time to time??

catsy girl
Kinfolk who are left behind are so grateful and happy to receive any remembrance.
I try to at least send a card if I can't attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Every morning. Have to make sure so I know if I should get up and make the coffee.

Seriously, I have been reading the obits for many, many years. Some mornings, I look at the list and gasp. A young person of my acquaintance; an older person but who was generally in good health; a good friend who I really should have called more often. These make me realize how thin the thread is between living and dying.
I feel the same way. I try to visit old friends more often, but it gets harder to do.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I read them everyday. I think some of their lives were fascinating.
That s why I think writing your own obituary is such a good idea.
Only you know how interesting your life was!!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
always. I've been able to reconnect with people by signing the online guest book of their family member.
the online guest book is a wonderful tool. It comforts the relatives who are left. Sometimes
they learn fascinating details the deceased never told them.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
Like some other posters I read the obits to come to grips with my lack of invincibiltiy. Getting older I read the obits to try to convince myself that I will not pass away due to that illness or accident---reality is that everybody is in the same boat.

Also reading the obits gives you an admiration on the accomplishments and achievements of others------sometimes it gives you a gauge for what you have or have not accomplished.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
God just go easy on me and don't scare me. No obituary for me...no autopsy - no embalming and no funeral...and no cremation...actually lets skip the dying part while we are at it.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I used to read the obituaries to see if anyone I knew died, But now I'm afraid to look as I might just find my name listed there.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I do check them every day. I especially like to read the ones of the very old as they may have been a parent of someone I know and reading about the lives they have lived is so fascinating. Many in the area that I live come from families of 10 or 12 siblings and sometimes even more. Last fall I came across an obit that the name seemed familiar. She had been my "nursery school" teacher in another state, decades ago. Her daughter lives in the same town I do but we had never met. Her daughter is married to a man with the same last name as mine and she lived for several years on the same street as me.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My obituary? I am leaving instructions that I don't want one at all.
I don't want one either. Heck, if you couldn't stay in touch while I was alive, why do you care I died?

Old 04-13-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I do check them every day. I especially like to read the ones of the very old as they may have been a parent of someone I know and reading about the lives they have lived is so fascinating. Many in the area that I live come from families of 10 or 12 siblings and sometimes even more. Last fall I came across an obit that the name seemed familiar. She had been my "nursery school" teacher in another state, decades ago. Her daughter lives in the same town I do but we had never met. Her daughter is married to a man with the same last name as mine and she lived for several years on the same street as me.
They would be grateful to hear from you, especially any remembrances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement