Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times

Advertisements

One would believe that of a artist view on things.I know my attitude has chnaged on mnay things since I am retired and not in business environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,838 times
retired at 34(now 60) and it's been the best 26 years of my life.Wish I had thought of it sooner!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Heh. Never favored a career, always knew I had to work to make a living. I never thought "career" was important. I just want to make a decent living and do so and it's costing me in health at this late point in life.
Some of us just have... jobs. My job is professional/technical, but I don't view it as career. Or, I've had several careers, having moved around a lot in trying to make a meaningful living.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,081 times
My career, or any kind of job I did for a living, had never been more important than my happiness, even when I was young. However, I stayed in the last job at a not-very-pleasant place of employment for 17 years in spite of my unhappiness, only because the children was young and I was their sole financial and emotional provider. Without the steady paychecks that I brought home, they would've encountered a lot more upheavals in their lives than they already had, and my unhappiness would've become even greater.

After the children left home and as soon as it was possible for me to put myself first, I walked out of not just that place of employment but the entire work force altogether.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 04-18-2013 at 03:36 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
At what point in life did you decide your career wasn't as important as enjoying life?

~ age 20 for me, (After my first 2 yrs of 32 yrs to follow "caregiving" for a parent disabled from "CAREER - PASSION")

My kids learned much quicker than I. ~ age 12 - 16 for them. THEY really have a great 'work-life' balance. I'm scared for life, having grown up at 'Dairy-Farm_boarding-School'

Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm sure there comes a time when enjoying life due to getting older is more important to you than work. Is this true? If so, when did you feel that way?
In my mid 40's I had become a dinosaur in the high tech sales/marketing business. It was transitioning from large expensive complex systems to in a box on your desk. Territories being cut, less money, more reporting, more wet behind the ears people in management positions, etc. It was no longer a fun business.

One company I was with got bought out and I got a few bucks for the stock options I held. A few bucks in my pocket, wife with a good salary/benefits, and no kids so I was not crying in my scotch, but I decided it was time to do something else.

I knew of a small custom, club repair golf shop for sale. It took time to build it up and it had its own pressures (like pay the bills) but I was in control, I was in charge, I made the decisions.......I loved it. I knew several other dinosaurs in the same business. One bought a small garden shop. Another bought an instant sign franchise.

The fact that we had been sales/marketing types we looked more at the selling/marketing of our businesses then what the product was. Many with no sales/marketing experience get into a business they like, know the mechanicv of it, think is cute, have no financial support system, etc. and their big mistake is they then wait for customers to come to them. You have to drag them customers in...but that is off subject.

Hope this helps some.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
Once I can to the conclusion that my career did not meet with success and that it was unrealistic and a waste of time...That took a life time. The remainder of my life will contain no competition with myself or others. Remember the word "career" came from the word RACE...The dark horse lost in my case.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,509 times
For me it was never, well rarely, a matter of not enjoing my career(s). It was simply a matter of priorities. While I was very good at what I did, when push-came-to-shove, life won out.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
My job was to obtain a paycheck to support my vices: food/roof over my head.

Never had a 'career', they were just jobs. I liked many of the jobs I held, but loved my life more.

Last job pre-retirement was in a very emotionally unhealthy environment; however, I made the decision to stay put because of the excellent benefits and higher than average salary for the type of work I did. I knew that higher wages would pad my social security benefit. Besides, why take a chance on another company that may have been worse and have to take a pay cut.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
For me it was never, well rarely, a matter of not enjoing my career(s). It was simply a matter of priorities. While I was very good at what I did, when push-came-to-shove, life won out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My job was to obtain a paycheck to support my vices: food/roof over my head.

Never had a 'career', they were just jobs. I liked many of the jobs I held, but loved my life more.

Last job pre-retirement was in a very emotionally unhealthy environment; however, I made the decision to stay put because of the excellent benefits and higher than average salary for the type of work I did. I knew that higher wages would pad my social security benefit. Besides, why take a chance on another company that may have been worse and have to take a pay cut.
Our jobs are part of life, not separate from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement