Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have had to start taking RMD's which means we are 71 years of age. At this time we do not need the money so we are putting it back into the same Mutual Funds (our IRA Mutual Funds), just not as an IRA. I like the funds we have so this is why I keep investing in them.

Could I declare these as ROTH Accounts and why would I?

Also open to other investment uses of the RMD money but please, nothing that has anything to do with insurance companies.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My wife and I have had to start taking RMD's which means we are 71 years of age. At this time we do not need the money so we are putting it back into the same Mutual Funds (our IRA Mutual Funds), just not as an IRA. I like the funds we have so this is why I keep investing in them.

Could I declare these as ROTH Accounts and why would I?

Also open to other investment uses of the RMD money but please, nothing that has anything to do with insurance companies.

Thanks.
Congrats on your situation. It is one many of us hope to be in when we reach the RMD age. You are there are there and I know it is a good feeling.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
No, you can't convert RMD's to a Roth IRA. You can make additional withdrawals and convert them to a Roth IRA. You don't have to sell and buy the same security, just have your custodian move them to the new account. Do make note of the value on the conversion date as that will be the income you'll need to add for taxes.

Why would you do this? To shelter future withdrawals from taxes, to reduce your RMD's, and to utilize any remaining amount in your tax bracket. The disadvantage is you're paying taxes now instead of later. If at some point, RMD's will kick you into a higher tax bracket, this becomes an advantage.

For those not yet 70-1/2 and retired, it may be to your advantage to convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, as all of the withdrawals can be converted. Again, it depends on your tax situation now and in the future. For instance, after I retire, we'll be in the 15% tax bracket. At some point, RMD's will push us into the 25% tax bracket, so it will be to our advantage to take additional withdrawals and convert them to a Roth. If we're lucky, we'll convert enough so RMD's will be at a level that keeps us in the 15% bracket. Plus, we'll be able to manage taxable income with Roth withdrawals.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post

The disadvantage is you're paying taxes now instead of later. If at some point, RMD's will kick you into a higher tax bracket, this becomes an advantage.
True, but if don't need the RMD money you could use it to pay the taxes on a conversion to a Roth.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
No, you can't convert RMD's to a Roth IRA. You can make additional withdrawals and convert them to a Roth IRA. You don't have to sell and buy the same security, just have your custodian move them to the new account. Do make note of the value on the conversion date as that will be the income you'll need to add for taxes.

Why would you do this? To shelter future withdrawals from taxes, to reduce your RMD's, and to utilize any remaining amount in your tax bracket. The disadvantage is you're paying taxes now instead of later. If at some point, RMD's will kick you into a higher tax bracket, this becomes an advantage.

For those not yet 70-1/2 and retired, it may be to your advantage to convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, as all of the withdrawals can be converted. Again, it depends on your tax situation now and in the future. For instance, after I retire, we'll be in the 15% tax bracket. At some point, RMD's will push us into the 25% tax bracket, so it will be to our advantage to take additional withdrawals and convert them to a Roth. If we're lucky, we'll convert enough so RMD's will be at a level that keeps us in the 15% bracket. Plus, we'll be able to manage taxable income with Roth withdrawals.

Thanks for the information. Clear and concise.

I was taught to avoid (not evade) paying taxes until one has to pay as one never knows what will change. I still adhere to this principle......LOL

Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
True, but if don't need the RMD money you could use it to pay the taxes on a conversion to a Roth.
That is true!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Thanks for the information. Clear and concise.

I was taught to avoid (not evade) paying taxes until one has to pay as one never knows what will change. I still adhere to this principle......LOL
So do I. It's a fine balance if you're close to a bracket change. I'm hoping to pay the 15% now and avoid the 25% later under RMD's. Since Congress is worse than a drunken sailor, I have little hope for taxes going down. Up is the more likely direction in the future.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
So do I. It's a fine balance if you're close to a bracket change. I'm hoping to pay the 15% now and avoid the 25% later under RMD's. Since Congress is worse than a drunken sailor, I have little hope for taxes going down. Up is the more likely direction in the future.
I think part of the advice was meant to say the less money you have , the more you need to keep all of it so pay none of it in taxes unless required to also the more money you make, the easier it is to pay some of it out even if not required.

I have often said it is real easy to avoid paying taxes. Make no money!!!! Otherwise, be thankful for your taxing issues.

I will worry about bracket creep when I get there.

I think..........LOL

Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
I will add only this. Only earned income (a job) may be sheltered in a IRA, whether traditional, or Roth. This is why the OP can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement