Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 05:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It's funny, I thought about the Ireland move a few years ago too. I could get dual citizenship in that I am a grandchild of two Irish grandparents. Even without the constant mass shootings, I am so tired of the hatred, racism and vitriol in this country, the "we v. them" mentality, the ugliness of politics and the fact that nobody wants to work together to get anything done. I don't know what the political landscape is like in Ireland, but I thought with the IRA war settled, perhaps it would be more peaceful there. And being a fair-skinned Irish redhead, Ireland is the only place I ever felt like I belonged, the only place where there were lots of people who looked like me. But in the end, the idea was just too overwhelming at my age. The three things that worried me were 1) the damp, rainy weather, 2) the high cost of living, and 3) difference in Irish culture and how an American would be accepted among them, even an American with Irish roots.

So I moved to Florida instead.
It's very peaceful in Ireland. It's the Republic I'm thinking of, not Northern Ireland. I've lived there before for years, so I can vouch for the high quality of life there. As for the things you mentioned that might sound overwhelming:

1) Damp, rainy weather. It's lovely and soft. I'm based in Seattle now, which is very similar in climate to Dublin.

2) High cost of living. Some things cost more, some less. One big break on the cost of living is the ease of doing without a car. Once you do away with petrol, taxes and registration, insurance, repairs, and so on, it's a huge savings.

3) The difference in culture can be fascinating rather than something to worry about. I prefer their way of living--the lifestyle is much greener and healthier. We were welcomed very nicely into life in the capital. The Irish were very excited to learn about Barack Obama's descent from a 19-year-old blacksmith named Fulmoth Kearney, who was born in Moneygall but left Ireland as a result of the potato famine. When our President visited his ancestor's village a few years ago and met his relatives, the Irish were very proud.

Obama's visit greeted with jubilation in Moneygall | US news | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:42 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
omg, it's almost here. Working all my life and now 55 yo. I never had kids so always felt like the odd one out. I've been through the step by step details of childbirth hundreds of times. After they had their kids I used to think "if I hear one more story about the consistency of the kids bowel movements I'm going to die." Then it wasn't their little darling that was wrong. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy kids but as I said to my best friend at the time. "hello, are you still in there". Now it's their kids high school drama, college and grandkids. I've noticed through the years that parents seem to want to be their kids friends instead of parents. So for me it's always been difficult as a woman and I've often thought maybe I should have been born male since I've noticed the husbands did talk adult talk while moms were giving every detail of their kids. I've been told that when you get old you'll be very lonely.

I've always wanted to move out of this area since it gets so cold but have been fortunate to have good jobs so we stayed. We were finally going to do it but then my mom became very ill so here I stay, I swear, every time I seem to get a big toe out of town something keeps me here. Now, as everyone else in the family moved away except for me and husband taking care of my mom but now I'm beginning to lose the desperate need to move, I don't dream about what I want to do anymore. At 55 what is there anyway? It's not as if we can done a bathing suit and sit sunning on the beach or walk around like we did on vaca. Wow I've been feeling like a doomer lately trying to figure out what we will do when we can move.

This thread is interesting thanks.

Last edited by petch751; 12-08-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 03:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
At 55 what is there anyway?
Seriously? I'm 56 and I plan to become national masters champion in my sport, write a book or two, pick up guitar again, travel which is not work travel, pick ice skating up again, listen to a lot of live music, shoot-lots of things.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
A woman retiring on her own has only her income as support; having a partner means two sources of income (one would hope anyway).

If you're renting, for example, the rent and utilities are half as much. Doing it solo, it's all on your shoulders.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:26 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Default I did it

Sorry to see the old thread closed; it was a source of support and friendship for single senior women facing the daunting task of relocation, alone.

After 5 years of thinking about it, researching on CD, and two years trying to sell my Oregon country home, my goal was finally realized. I have relocated to Sarasota Florida to a beautiful gated community and am going to be a renter for a year to evaluate my situation.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
YES !!!!!! Thanks for coming back !!!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Sorry to see the old thread closed; it was a source of support and friendship for single senior women facing the daunting task of relocation, alone.

After 5 years of thinking about it, researching on CD, and two years trying to sell my Oregon country home, my goal was finally realized. I have relocated to Sarasota Florida to a beautiful gated community and am going to be a renter for a year to evaluate my situation.
YES! I remember when you were putting it on the market, at least I think that was you....I've "met" so many nice ladies on the old thread. OK, seriously we MUST after the first of the year do a C-D meet-up down here! Hope you love it as much as I do!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:22 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
It's very peaceful in Ireland. It's the Republic I'm thinking of, not Northern Ireland. I've lived there before for years, so I can vouch for the high quality of life there. As for the things you mentioned that might sound overwhelming:

1) Damp, rainy weather. It's lovely and soft. I'm based in Seattle now, which is very similar in climate to Dublin.

2) High cost of living. Some things cost more, some less. One big break on the cost of living is the ease of doing without a car. Once you do away with petrol, taxes and registration, insurance, repairs, and so on, it's a huge savings.

3) The difference in culture can be fascinating rather than something to worry about. I prefer their way of living--the lifestyle is much greener and healthier. We were welcomed very nicely into life in the capital. The Irish were very excited to learn about Barack Obama's descent from a 19-year-old blacksmith named Fulmoth Kearney, who was born in Moneygall but left Ireland as a result of the potato famine. When our President visited his ancestor's village a few years ago and met his relatives, the Irish were very proud.

Obama's visit greeted with jubilation in Moneygall | US news | The Guardian
Thanks for responding, I appreciate your insight. Now, I was NOT thinking of Dublin though....when I visited there, I felt it was just like any other big city and certainly just as hectic....I really preferred the west coast of Ireland.

As far as the "greener, healther" lifestyle goes -- really? I thought they smoked like chimneys? Although I do remember Ireland was one of the first to ban smoking in bars....so maybe not anymore?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:46 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Default Avalon08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
YES! I remember when you were putting it on the market, at least I think that was you....I've "met" so many nice ladies on the old thread. OK, seriously we MUST after the first of the year do a C-D meet-up down here! Hope you love it as much as I do!
Yes, I'm loving the Sarasota vibe and a C-D meetup would be fun

Old 12-13-2015, 05:29 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Yes, I'm loving the Sarasota vibe and a C-D meetup would be fun
Sarasota is on my list. Let me know when this happens & I'll try to get there. It is low on my list because although I love the city, I visited in the winter so do not know how summer would be for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement