Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

I have to go back through all the posts to see if one of mine is in there and to catch up on all of yours, but in any case I have an update:

When I joined in 2007 or so, I was at the Jersey shore wanting to move back to Southern CA, where I had lived for two glorious years. Couldn't do it, moved back to PA. A few years later, tried another house-hunting trip out there after my Mom died....just couldn't pull it off financially. So I sold my house in PA and moved full-time to my Mom's condo in FL. That was 2013. Loved it the first few years, but now the bloom is off the rose -- mainly backbiting petty jealous people in this community, and the weather (hottest summer on record). Thinking AGAIN about moving to CA. Having a chat w/my financial advisor tomorrow.....I am not getting a warm and fuzzy from him on this plan, but I'll let you know.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Avalon: Please do update us.
Why so set on southern CA? So many people moving out of there. Alot of them are coming here. Too many, I think. And the summer weather has been pretty miserable all over the US. If we have another day over 110, I think I will buy a freezer and live in it.

So sorry about your neighbors. Petty jealous people are the pits. I wish you well in your plans and thanks for coming back !

Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Avalon08, interesting description & story you present at #231! I'd love to hear the rest too & follow-up.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Avalon: Please do update us.
Why so set on southern CA? So many people moving out of there. Alot of them are coming here. Too many, I think. And the summer weather has been pretty miserable all over the US. If we have another day over 110, I think I will buy a freezer and live in it.

So sorry about your neighbors. Petty jealous people are the pits. I wish you well in your plans and thanks for coming back !
I loved it out there! The weather, the scenery, just a whole different vibe. I had been told "Philly people don't make it out here" and I have seen many Philly people try it and move back. But I sort of felt like I didn't give it enough time.....I didn't try hard enough to assimilate, I kept focusing on the differences.

Anyway, it might be a moot point: I talked to the financial advisor and he was NOT optimistic. I would be increasing my housing expenses by about $4K/year and he's saying that will put me "off-course" in terms of my investments lasting until age 100....or even age 95. I am the type who wants what I want and I usually throw caution to the wind....but in this case, I might have to really think about it.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Ah, yes. Housing. When did a roof over one's head get to be so expensive? And why? I would choose San Diego if I could, just because of the weather, the scenery, the ocean and the cool breezes but I would have to live in a tent. I, also, want what I want, but in this case, I know I cannot have it. I hope you find some way to work it out. Maybe a part time job? Or a boarder?

Old 08-19-2016, 04:44 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
It's tough to have a dream and not be able to realize it. My situation too. I have too much in investments to apply for low income housing in other places. I'm not happy where I am, but I am not unhappy either, just bored.

I am up in the air as to what to do. I will travel to other low col areas but I am not seeing any apartments even close to what I pay ($383 which includes utilities). But...we'll see.

Good luck to you with your dream. I plan on at least visiting the places I'm interested in as vacation.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:30 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Shall we all get together, decide on a location, move in together after setting up guidelines; did this years ago with three other women (we shared a townhouse, I and another gal shared the master bedroom), we did not know each though
we did learn to know and care for one another. This was when I was 19, over 50 years ago, in N. Chicago !

Understand there are no longer boardinghouses, I lived in a couple of those before I married. Was looking into a boardinghouse. Your opinion ?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:08 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Suggestion: Inform where you are now living, show the pluses and minus (to you) of your area

Olympic Peninsula, WA--Pluses-Moderated temps; sunny skies May/June through September,
otherwise gray, not too much rain. Small town about 5,000, 30,000 county. Camping, hiking, fishing,
golf. Very little traffic.
Minus-Two hours to an airport, an 1 hour to major shopping.

Reason for living here-DH (Darling Husband, now in Heaven) moved from the SF-Bay Area. Close to an airport-30-40 minutes, 2 hours to gold rush country, or Lake Tahoe, close to wine country, lots of antiques around the area. San Francisco, lots to see and do.
Housing now not affordable---for me.

We were visited Franklin, N.C., we so enjoyed, planning to visit Hendersonville, N.C. though illness
intervened. Once I move, it's a big decision. Is weather the only factor; only lived on the West Coast and would be moving solo.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I wish I could tell you I have a food budget. When I was in the workforce in MD, we used to go out to lunch or eat in the cafeteria every other day and that added up. You can pretty much go out to lunch anywhere here and it will be under $10 but in retirement I go out to lunch maybe 3x a month. Yes, there is a tax on food here but the food costs less here so I don't feel it. I just did a city compare to compare the average cost of groceries in both places. With 100 being the score for the national average, my former town scored 111 (higher than the national average) and my current town scored an 88 (much lower than the national average).

The big difference I see in cost, besides rent which is a major difference, is gasoline. It's at least 20 cents cheaper per gallon here than it is in Maryland (I was just there 3 weeks ago) plus I picked such a good location here that is near to everything I do regularly, I only gas up the car every 2.5 - 3 weeks unless I'm doing some big road trip. When I was working I gassed up the car about every 3 days. I have the same car.

With 100 being the national average:

Overall cost of living (the total COL categories weighted subjectively as follows (housing (30%), food and groceries (15%), transportation (10%), utilities (6%), healthcare (7%), miscellaneous (32%))
Former town 129
Current town 86

Grocery
Former town 111
Current town 88

Health (includes doctor visit, dental check up, hospital room)
Former town 99
Current town 90

Housing (includes mortgage payments, apartment rent, property tax)
Former town 194
Current town 74

Utilities (avg cost of heating and cooling, gas and electric, typical residence)
Former town 112
Current town 101

Transportation (average cost of gasoline, car insurance, maintenance expenses, mass transit)
Former town 102
Current town 87 (note: we have no mass transit)

Miscellaneous (cost index of goods and services not included in other categories above including restaurants, clothing, repairs, entertainment and other categories
Former town 97
Current town 92

This is why I can live so well on less money in retirement. Everyone should do a "City Compare" search and compare current town to potential new town. I'd give the link but the moderators delete it because it is a competitor to C-D.
I am curious where you live too. We have had some trips to Fairfield Glade and love to eat at the park buffets in the area. Just wondering if you have discovered them yet.?

http://tnstateparks.com/restaurants

I am trying to remember the names of the ones we ate at but I am sure they are both on this list. I am sure one was the Cumberland Mountain because I remember the water and bridge. They were both close to Crossville. We love touring in that area. The other one was Falls Creek Falls, I believe. One of the best things about vacationing in Tennessee is the good country cooking.

Last edited by NCN; 08-22-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Does anyone know what happened to Iloveautumn? I am pretty sure she was the one on the old "Single Ladies" thread who was looking for a place to retire. I thought of her because I'm watching a House Hunters from Richmond, and I remember that was one of her potential locations. I can't find her user name but maybe I'm mis-remembering her name. BTW, I am still considering the CA move....I'll keep you all posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement