Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 PM

232 posts, read 348,607 times

Advertisements

I love how this post keeps going on and on. After 35 years in the Florida heat, I was looking for something new. I retired, took care of my mom until she passed, then when it was time to make the decision, I ended up staying put.

I chose Safety Harbor, known as the Jewel of Tampa Bay. It's about 17k people, quiet, safe and a Norman Rockwell painting come to life. It's close the the airport, as well as the events held in Tampa and St Pete. There's also all the amenities, restaurants, shopping, hospital, etc.

The only thing I could afford was a small attached villa. The bonus was a tiny fenced back yard for my dog and cat. I paid $117k and have a hoa fee of $112 a month. The neighbors are friendly and look out for each other. It's a little like the boarding house mentioned above, but with more privacy. It's mixed ages, but since the villas are all 1 or 2 bedroom, there aren't many kids.

The big monster negative is the summers. It gets hot in May/June and stays unbearable until October. And you have to keep an eye on the Atlantic for hurricane formation.

I'm hoping, starting next year, to travel in the summer months. I would like to go to an area of the country where it's cooler and stay for 3 months. I browse the Airbnb type sites nightly. Many give big discounts for a stay of 30 days. I want to pick 3 places in the same general area and stay for 30 days each. Colorado, Pacific NW and New England are my first choices.

I love reading everyone else's stories and areas that you all are choosing and will use them to plan my summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 03:14 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Sunigal99, I take it you have someone to look after your pets while you are gone or are you finding vacation rentals that accept a dog and cat? I'd like to snowbird once I retire. My cat is 14 so she may not be around by then but who knows. She is very active and quite the hunter.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:07 PM

232 posts, read 348,607 times
The dog will be coming along. She's 7 and has never been on a road trip. As long as she's with me, she should be fine. The cat will stay home. He's around 12 or 13 and is a semi feral/indoor outdoor cat. One of my retired neighbors has offered to feed the cat and I also have a friend that pet sits for extra cash. I'll leave the dog door open for him.

I'm nervous about the animals, but I can't let it stop me from enjoying my retirement.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:31 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I am so glad this has kept going. I really think this winter will be the defining one for me. So far I am looking at:
Nw Arkansas - 4 seasons but milder winters; I may fit in

Maine- the same type of weather we have but could be closer to the ocean & have that delectable ocean fish; being born in the country & living here now, would probably fit in well

Minerva's area, sounds great but after living in large cities for so many years, not sure I would like it. If I could only walk far!

Deelighted's area in Arizona. I'd crossed Arizona off my list previously, but my depression is worse & it makes me hopeful that maybe it could help me.

Lots of traveling to do yet to look at these options. But not until this spring. I will be using my investment money to check out places & I only have a certain amount of $'s to find a place & get settled so I have to be careful.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:48 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
There are many regular female posters to this thread, therefore, many have become "friends" even without meeting in person. Has anyone considered a duplex? How common are duplexes nowadays? I can see, outside of a "Golden Girls" type arrangement, two single C-D ladies purchasing and sharing a duplex, after agreeing on where to live. Especially those w/o children or close family members around.

Is my idea unrealistic?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
There are many regular female posters to this thread, therefore, many have become "friends" even without meeting in person. Has anyone considered a duplex? How common are duplexes nowadays? I can see, outside of a "Golden Girls" type arrangement, two single C-D ladies purchasing and sharing a duplex, after agreeing on where to live. Especially those w/o children or close family members around.

Is my idea unrealistic?

I don't think your idea is "unrealistic" at all. When I was looking for a house last year I actually considered a duplex...or even a triplex. Only problem is they are kind of rare around here for some reason. I did look at a couple but they weren't in the best of shape and it would have been too expensive to get them updated, etc.. I considered it just for the income potential. I suppose it would be cheaper if two people went in on the deal but not sure I'd want to go partners with anyone.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I am so glad this has kept going. I really think this winter will be the defining one for me. So far I am looking at:
Nw Arkansas - 4 seasons but milder winters; I may fit in

Maine- the same type of weather we have but could be closer to the ocean & have that delectable ocean fish; being born in the country & living here now, would probably fit in well

Minerva's area, sounds great but after living in large cities for so many years, not sure I would like it. If I could only walk far!

Deelighted's area in Arizona. I'd crossed Arizona off my list previously, but my depression is worse & it makes me hopeful that maybe it could help me.

Lots of traveling to do yet to look at these options. But not until this spring. I will be using my investment money to check out places & I only have a certain amount of $'s to find a place & get settled so I have to be careful.

I thought you had decided to stay where you were? Maybe that was someone else... I've never been to NW Arkansas but my parents lived not far from Little Rock and they had terrible winter weather. Seems like they had ice storms every winter. I have to say that Arkansas is one of the most spectacular places I've ever been in the fall. OMG...the color! It took me about an hour one time to do a 15 minute drive because I couldn't stop looking at the scenery. lol Summers are awful. Humid and buggy!

I don't think I could ever live in Maine. I'm spoiled and don't want to deal with winters like they have. I've BTDT plenty in my life and will pass now. I would really like to visit there though. I have never been to the New England states and when I lived in Detroit I promised myself I would. Never did though.

I don't want to live in ANY "big city". BTDT too but I think I've lived in more small towns than actual cities anyway. I think where I live now could be classified as a 'large town'. We have 12,000+ pop. and another 33,000 scattered around the Valley in small towns. It's only walkable in a few areas of town but we do have public transportation.

I think you would enjoy visiting AZ and seeing what it's really like. Where Deelighted lives is one of my favorite areas of the state. It's not a whole lot different from where I live except that they get more rain and weather than we do up north. You should also visit a couple of places in the higher elevations. Payson and Prescott are 'the best', IMO. At 5,000 feet they are much cooler in summer, they are both in the middle of forest and slower paced. Many retirees in both towns. I've lived in both and my favorite will always be Payson. In winter they get some snow but the roads are cleared fast and I never missed a day of work because of it, even when I worked 16 miles out of town UP the mountain. lol Here we might get some 'fallout' from snow on the mountains, and that might last a few hours, but we have a beautiful view of the mountains all around.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:46 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post

Is my idea unrealistic?
Actually, your idea was suggested many times in the "old" thread -- more along the lines of a "commune" type of arrangement. The problem was, everybody had a different idea of what they wanted and where they wanted to go. It sure does sound fun, though! Years ago, two of my friends/co-workers often said we were going to go to FL and be the Golden Girls when we retired. However, that was before they had grandchildren. Now there is no way they would ever move away.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
I love how this post keeps going on and on. .....

The big monster negative is the summers. It gets hot in May/June and stays unbearable until October. And you have to keep an eye on the Atlantic for hurricane formation.

I'm hoping, starting next year, to travel in the summer months. I would like to go to an area of the country where it's cooler and stay for 3 months
. I browse the Airbnb type sites nightly. Many give big discounts for a stay of 30 days. I want to pick 3 places in the same general area and stay for 30 days each. Colorado, Pacific NW and New England are my first choices.

I love reading everyone else's stories and areas that you all are choosing and will use them to plan my summers.
Instead of Air B&B (which I have had 80% bad experiences, ymmv). I always find a profit motive in the stay.
Look into these. (Which I have had superb stays for 28 yrs... over 100 this yr alone) $0-$20/. Night worldwide. 99% of the stays, the hosts are passionate about hosting and caring for you! No money / profit expected or desired.
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

They also list house / pet / plant sitting opportunities (usually free, worldwide - Friends in Belgium have a regular pet sitting gig for 6-8 wks / yr in Tokyo. (Various seasons of the yr)

Look for options of renting a guest house or apartment above garage on an acreage or farm. Many rural seniors have extra space and would be happy to have someone help with summer outdoor duties. A friend in BC rents their 2400 sf apartment above shop to a retired couple who RVs in winter, but likes to garden / stay off the road in summer.

28 yrs in Colorado was nice, especially for summer bicycle riding (wide roads)
30 yrs of PNW summers are very nice 50f sleeping nights is really sweet. No AC necessary in car or house !

Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
AZ, I had thought of staying here because my family was thinking of putting a guest house on the family farm but, as I suspected it's protected land and can't be grandfathered in.

So - still thinking of the (what if's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement