Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:17 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nescooter View Post
...I could retire as soon as this Dec, but next Dec (2018) would give me a pension boost and I need to start getting rid of 15 years worth "stuff" I've collected living in the same house...
If I may offer a tidbit of unsolicited advice . . . start now! I retired this past March, and am still trying to get the old house packed up and moved to the new house which is 1,200 miles away. It's been a long, and somewhat painful process. The house is pretty empty, and will start on the garage next week. Hope to be completely moved in another month.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 10:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
That sounds interesting! Will it be located in Texas?
TX ends up not being my favorite spot, but may have a community there for those who do like it...(better)
Chiggers and heat get a little old)

PNW is HOT at the moment too! (but also a preferred location for LOTS to do (but property and permits are $$$)

I have the essentials started in TX (west Hill Country, 5 min to 'Quiet Valley / Folk Fest', 7 minutes to 'town' (3 colleges + good HC and services, 1 hr to SAT or AUS ($10 by bus)), 4 rural properties clustered together, RVs, Shops, pond, 4 homes, Public dining / kitchen / Laundry area.

At the moment... PNW and NE TN still are options too (and maybe all three),

Musts:
Income Tax Free State
Moderate climate out of Tornado alley
1 hr to Intl airport
college town
adequate medical
'friendly people and permit staff'
reasonable ? property taxes
Eco friendly region (Recycling / solar / conservation / sustainable)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-03-2017 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-03-2017, 04:26 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,556,955 times
Stealth Rabbit, please keep me (us) updated as to your progress. I live about an hour southeast of Dallas now. I do like Texas because of the ease of living (COL), etc. but I too get tired of the heat. I LOVE the PNW.

Your plans sound very interesting!

Old 09-03-2017, 06:35 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
I am retiring in December. We live in Fort Worth and love living here.

We enjoy the warm weather. If it gets too hot we'll go inside or to a movie, etc.

COL and services are great here.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:31 PM

37 posts, read 43,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
If I may offer a tidbit of unsolicited advice . . . start now! I retired this past March, and am still trying to get the old house packed up and moved to the new house which is 1,200 miles away. It's been a long, and somewhat painful process. The house is pretty empty, and will start on the garage next week. Hope to be completely moved in another month.

Volosong--I am on it! I appreciate the advice!

Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,124,518 times
Now it has been almost three years since I moved to Indiana. I still love it here. I don't love the winters but the rest of the seasons make up for it. I think I made a wise choice in the neighborhood where I live. It is one mile from a great grocery (includes drugstore, clothing, housewares, garden center, etc.). I am a 10 minute walk from a library and within 5 minutes drive to many restaurants. I am so much happier in a smaller town (70,000) than where I was living in south Florida. My move was back home, to the town where I was born and raised. I retired in 2014 and took the next 18 months to relax a bit, throw or give away unwanted items from my house, etc. My house sold in 6 days!

I hope that if you are thinking about a move from an area which no longer brings you joy, do it!

Old 07-06-2019, 01:49 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Will have to check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
Safety Harbor is known as the Jewel of Tampa Bay. It's small and geographically can not get any bigger. Main Street is restored with all independent restaurants and businesses, except for Starbucks. The desirability is reflected in the prices and most properties for sale are scooped up right away. As a single woman retiring alone with my dog and cat, I feel completely safe there. As an example of price, my 900+ sq ft villa sold for $117,500 and needs almost $10k more in repairs (roof, water heater, heat/ac, washer/dryer). With an excellent hospital close by, I can see myself there for the rest of my life.
Sounds so cute. Kind of a town I would love.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:58 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,412,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Now it has been almost three years since I moved to Indiana. I still love it here. I don't love the winters but the rest of the seasons make up for it. I think I made a wise choice in the neighborhood where I live. It is one mile from a great grocery (includes drugstore, clothing, housewares, garden center, etc.). I am a 10 minute walk from a library and within 5 minutes drive to many restaurants. I am so much happier in a smaller town (70,000) than where I was living in south Florida. My move was back home, to the town where I was born and raised. I retired in 2014 and took the next 18 months to relax a bit, throw or give away unwanted items from my house, etc. My house sold in 6 days!

I hope that if you are thinking about a move from an area which no longer brings you joy, do it!
This is so nice to see such an upbeat update!! Very happy for you.

So you CAN go home again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement