Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times

Advertisements

To LookingatFL: I truly do appreciate your post. This is just the kind of thing I was hoping to read when I started this thread. You certainly had courage and the prescence of mind to do alot of research before you undertook your journey. You really are to be congratulated on making a scary journey work for yourself and I thank you again for this post. Barb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times
Thank you PhxBarb. I'm glad I could help.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
The only difference is I'm flying two cats in one carrier on Southwest Airlines. I'm moving to Asheville. I've only been there twice for two days each time. This move will be an adventure to put it lightly. I have a year to go before my move.
Actually after some more thought on this, I will try to bribe a younger member of my friends' family with a round trip ticket between NM and Portland to accompany my cats to Oregon and then board them for a week or so while I am driving there. Or go through a pet transportation service. I found one such company that sounded good. One of the testimonials was thanks for transporting two pets from NM to Melbourne. Yes, I'm sure your relocation will be an adventure as will mine.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Thumbs up I am still in Santa Cruz, CA - my retirement town

Hi Folks,

I've heard that the old "Single Women Retiring Alone" has been changed. I did NOT authorize such a change, and I have no idea why a moderator would do that after all this time and the success of that thread. I was very disappointed to hear about that.

This one still should be about WOMEN retiring alone. It IS different for women, despite the supposed poster from "Brazil." (I wonder if it's not a troll.)

I relocated to Santa Cruz, California, and about three years ago I bought a mobile home in a 55+ park. I live a block from the ocean, have nice neighbors, and we recently started a community garden here. Just last week I saw whales very close to the beach!

My daughter just returned from two years of going to college in Asia -- one year in Japan and one year in Hong Kong, so she is back with me while she finishes her last year of college. I am still single -- never partnered up again -- now retired and on a small pension.

I am 65 -- nearly 66 now -- and although I still have a bit of gypsy in me, I realize that I have a perfect place here. Although I often think about moving again, I also realize what a jewel I have here. This town is very supportive of Seniors, there are plenty of things to do, it has numerous micro climates -- for instance, I am now near the ocean, so there is fog (I am not keen on fog), but if I just go fifteen minutes up the mountain road, I am above the fog line, and it is clear, sunny and at least 10-15 degrees warmer. It is an amazing location with the ocean, and then 15 minutes away you are up in the redwood mountains -- totally different climates and terrain.

The mobiles in my park generally sell within the month -- rarely do they stay on the market -- it is a very popular place to retire to. I have two beaches within a 5-10 minute walk of my house. One beach has tide pools, which I like to poke around in, the other one is more open and leads to a larger public beach. The two beaches near me are more residential and tourists are unaware of them, so it's nice to have them so close for locals.

If I can get the photo to post, I will show what I saw last week in October here (the whales and sailboats). I could not get good photos of the whales because as soon as they'd come up, then they'd go back under, and I couldn't get the camera to time it right -- but I did get some dorsal fins. GOT IT! See the photo below and click on it!!! THIS is what it's like to live on the Monterey Bay in Santa Cruz, California!!! From a woman who retired alone!!

So, that is what happened with me. I am glad some of you are still around. I have been MIA, I guess. Now that I retired, I feel like I have less time to work with -- very weird.

I did it alone -- a single woman who retired alone. If I can do it, you can, too!
CHECK THIS OUT -- SEE THE WHALE'S DORSAL FIN AND THE SAILBOATS -- THIS IS WHAT MY EVENINGS OFTEN ARE LIKE!!! JUST CLICK THE PHOTO HERE:

Chapter TWO: Women Retiring Alone.  Did you Do it??-rsz_whalesfromtwinlakesresizedsmaller.jpg

Old 11-01-2013, 06:06 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi Folks,

I've heard that the old "Single Women Retiring Alone" has been changed. I did NOT authorize such a change, and I have no idea why a moderator would do that after all this time and the success of that thread. I was very disappointed to hear about that.

This one still should be about WOMEN retiring alone. It IS different for women, despite the supposed poster from "Brazil." (I wonder if it's not a troll.)

I relocated to Santa Cruz, California, and about three years ago I bought a mobile home in a 55+ park. I live a block from the ocean, have nice neighbors, and we recently started a community garden here. Just last week I saw whales very close to the beach!

My daughter just returned from two years of going to college in Asia -- one year in Japan and one year in Hong Kong, so she is back with me while she finishes her last year of college. I am still single -- never partnered up again -- now retired and on a small pension.

I am 65 -- nearly 66 now -- and although I still have a bit of gypsy in me, I realize that I have a perfect place here. Although I often think about moving again, I also realize what a jewel I have here. This town is very supportive of Seniors, there are plenty of things to do, it has numerous micro climates -- for instance, I am now near the ocean, so there is fog (I am not keen on fog), but if I just go fifteen minutes up the mountain road, I am above the fog line, and it is clear, sunny and at least 10-15 degrees warmer. It is an amazing location with the ocean, and then 15 minutes away you are up in the redwood mountains -- totally different climates and terrain.

The mobiles in my park generally sell within the month -- rarely do they stay on the market -- it is a very popular place to retire to. I have two beaches within a 5-10 minute walk of my house. One beach has tide pools, which I like to poke around in, the other one is more open and leads to a larger public beach. The two beaches near me are more residential and tourists are unaware of them, so it's nice to have them so close for locals.

If I can get the photo to post, I will show what I saw last week in October here (the whales and sailboats). I could not get good photos of the whales because as soon as they'd come up, then they'd go back under, and I couldn't get the camera to time it right -- but I did get some dorsal fins. GOT IT! See the photo below and click on it!!! THIS is what it's like to live on the Monterey Bay in Santa Cruz, California!!! From a woman who retired alone!!

So, that is what happened with me. I am glad some of you are still around. I have been MIA, I guess. Now that I retired, I feel like I have less time to work with -- very weird.

I did it alone -- a single woman who retired alone. If I can do it, you can, too!
CHECK THIS OUT -- SEE THE WHALE'S DORSAL FIN AND THE SAILBOATS -- THIS IS WHAT MY EVENINGS OFTEN ARE LIKE!!! JUST CLICK THE PHOTO HERE:

Attachment 120300
Good to hear from you! I am so glad to hear that you are still living in and taking advantage of your little slice of paradise. Your post put a smile on my face as I start my busy day.

BTW, I absolutely agree with you about the change to the original thread. The thread has almost died. Many years ago, I found the original thread (and this forum) through a random google search about single women. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible. (The thread was changed by a male moderator. Enough said).

Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Great to hear from you, Wisteria. You were the original founder of the thread and inspiration for many women to believe in themselves to make some far reaching changes. I hope you continue to post, even though I am no longer single I do check in here from time to time because at my age being single could happen again.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM

400 posts, read 738,579 times
I'm glad to hear from you, too, Wisteria. Even though I haven't posted in this thread (I don't think), I always liked to check in. I was also disappointed to see that the title had been changed and wondered why. Best to you in your life on the coast.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default Hi Wisteria !

THANKS for the update ~ I've often wondered how you are

It was indeed wrong to have changed your original thread about women relocating alone because as we all know, women and men are not equal.

I'm still in southern Oregon and forever California Dreamin' but it looks like I'll be relocating back to Florida only because my daughter still lives there ~ but, we'll see !

WISTERIA, hoping you stay in touch

Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM

292 posts, read 358,022 times
Default Welcome home~

Wisteria, so good to hear from you. Count me among the many astonished that someone thought it necessary to change your thread title, as if men were ever mistreated there anyway. Totally disagree with it. I first found city data when I googled something about retirement for single women, and I read the whole thing (this was a couple years ago). It's everything good about the web--a place where even when you're at your "whiniest worst", you could come and know you'd find a supportive community. I realize it wasn't just the work of one woman, but I know people miss you--newcomers still address posts to you, and it's great to hear from you, greater that things have worked out well. Stay in touch!

Old 11-01-2013, 02:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great to hear from you, Wisteria. You were the original founder of the thread and inspiration for many women to believe in themselves to make some far reaching changes. I hope you continue to post, even though I am no longer single I do check in here from time to time because at my age being single could happen again.
Whoa! No longer single? Congratulations!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement