Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:38 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times

Advertisements

We did vacation where we eventually retired to but while visiting we read local papers (especially the editorials) and checked out resources like hospitals, grocery stores, churches, the arts, etc. We visited during each season and asked lots of questions of the friends we stayed with. We had a realtor show us homes and neighborhoods. We also had fun and did touristy things....we have lived in our retirement home for almost 5 years....we made a great choice! It is perfectly fine to vacation and have fun and do practical evaluation of a potential retirement area all on the same trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You're reading about someone's fantasies. This same person has said that he can't afford medical insurance until he's old enough for Medicare. He has also claimed that he had numerous friends who died because they had no insurance. A few days ago he said he had just bought two properties to develop into geriatric living.
Yep, all of the above... And MUCH more, such as my $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free cooking oil... sorry, but all true..(2 of my 3 friends that DIED were close to YOU!! (MT) BTW, their surviving wives EACH had to sell their homes to pay Medical expenses incurred with deceased spouses (if you would like to donate to their Spousal Impoverishment fund). (The 2 props I have are currently 'income props' so currently self supporting while I work a temp job in Asia.). I NEVER have included my RE investment assets into my PAY INSURANCE FUND... How could I afford my multiple props if THAT were the case

If YOU are under Medicare age with a sick spouse and can afford private pay medical insurance in USA... More power to ya. I AFFORD what I CHOOSE to afford, and $15k/yr for catastrophic insurance is NOT one of them... (OK, as Obamacare takes that option away).

After 32 yrs of caring for a disabled parent, and homeschooling my kids... I QUIT working multiple jobs and retired 'pre-age 50... I grew up milking cows 24x7 so I'm TIRED.... (Had equivalent of 99 yrs of 40hr work weeks by age 48).

I'm getting by FINE... Just not inclined to continue to pay $15k / yr in Healthcare and $14.4k for property taxes on Casa Grande *that I built for under $100k. So.. will be OUT of country till age 65. My choice, not yours!

I will trust My BiL will help bring the 'dream' to reality. He has 6 such communities and 'memory care units' in PNW, NM and CO. Just a matter of time, and I have about 40 more yrs in retirement to complete it. As I ALWAYS mention, I will probably be my own first client.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... I wish there was something like you describe somewhere in flyover country...
Actually I have toured the most that are similar near MSP (I may add my name on waiting list at Beckwood)
Senior Cooperative Foundation
There are several Presbyterian and Luthern Villages nearby that are NICE.

For rural option look at Homestead Cooperatives, but they are few (not a great cost model for developers... need 50+ units to make 20% profit). The Homesteads (~12 units) are pretty sleepy, but friendly.

7500 York in Edina, MN is probably the one with most comprehensive services.
http://www.fairviewebenezer.org/AboutUs/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement