Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 61,693 times

Advertisements

I don’t know what is wrong with me. All I think about is retiring. When I read the magazines such as Money, Smart Money, and/or Kiplinger, I always look for a retirement section or story. When I’m on-line, I search for retirement articles. As a matter of fact, I spend a lot of my time here in city-data – reading retirement section. I know I still have 8 to 10 years before I can retire. I also love to travel and when I come back from a trip, I feel like I want to retire instead of going back to work. When I see or hear someone at work retiring, I envy him or her. Did you feel this way before retiring? And for how long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Sound like you really want to drop out not stop working.

To many problems in your life now?

If so fix them before you even think about retirement.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 PM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyDream View Post

All I think about is retiring.
I know I still have 8 to 10 years before I can retire.
1) Find a *fee for service* financial planner to layout what you have/need.
2) Create a budget for your life now that closely resembles what retirement would likely be for you (see step #1).
3) Live that life for two years or so (work into it slowly). See how it suits.
4) Adjust all as needed.

hth

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
I don’t know what is wrong with me. All I think about is retiring. When I read the magazines such as Money, Smart Money, and/or Kiplinger, I always look for a retirement section or story. When I’m on-line, I search for retirement articles. As a matter of fact, I spend a lot of my time here in city-data – reading retirement section. I know I still have 8 to 10 years before I can retire. I also love to travel and when I come back from a trip, I feel like I want to retire instead of going back to work. When I see or hear someone at work retiring, I envy him or her. Did you feel this way before retiring? And for how long?
Didn't really think about it until I was about 10 years out. Before then it was just something I knew I had to continue making provision for. Started getting serious about researching a retirement location when I was about five years out and started counting the number of working Mondays left until retirement. Then three years out I decided I'd had enough and informed my agency I was leaving at the end of the year - two years sooner than originally planned. I'd "hit the wall" and just didn't want to do it anymore. Next thing I knew, I was retired. No regrets!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Mr. Rational has a good plan for approaching the financial side of the question, but I get the definite impression that the OP is asking a psychological question more than a financial question, namely why he/she is obsessing so much about retirement and whether others did the same thing. Well, IntoMyDream, I don't think anything is necessarily wrong with you. If you dislike your job and/or you find your job stressful, then it would be normal to focus on getting out of it. Certain aspects of my job were unpleasant, but other aspects I liked. So no, I did not focus on retirement as intensely as you apparently do, but I did look forward to it. You yourself seem to think the intense focus is a problem. I would suggest trying to find activities you like right now, while still working. Many people find time to have various hobbies and also work full-time. And perhaps my assumption that you do not have a hobby/enjoyable activities is not even correct.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
... Did you feel this way before retiring? And for how long?
Only thought about reitring since about age 17 (I was working 3 jobs at age 15, left home at 16, become a fulltime caregiver for a sick parent age 18 and for 30+ more yrs (+ multiple jobs / school at one time) ).

I left employment @ age 49 (about 30 yrs too late to suit me).

But... still dreaming of retirement. Too much living to do, so little time.

Read "Dying Broke"
Pursue some passions while working.
Find employment (or self employment) that feeds your passion(s)
Enjoy life (working OR retired....)

Life happens (while you are planning / dreaming), and you want to temper your dreams with a dose of reality, cuz life just might happen to YOU...

short version from my history lesson...
After 32 yrs of caregiving, parent passed away... I was READY and retired @ age 49 (with equivalent of 90 yrs of 40 hr work weeks... grew up at 'dairy farm boarding school", ALWAYS worked 2 - 3 jobs)

'Retired' for 6 yrs while pursuing quite a few desires (master's degree / travel / learning NEW skills / pursuing the arts / music / learning instruments / lots of home projects / buying income properties / started 3 businesses...).

BUT
since 'retirement'(Life happened)

Hammered by economy, (investments housing / commercial real estate holdings)
Property Taxes skyrocket ($300 --> $1000/month) Cities and counties are hurting
Healthcare skyrockets ($300 --> $1200/month) (USA is in trouble here and it MUST get resolved, businesses / individuals are buried with health cost obligations)
Cost of living skyrockets,
Spouse / partner gets cronic disease... end of retirement as I hoped to know it... FOREVER

back to work (temporarily) for healthcare benefits for sickly dependent.... But at least I'm only working 1/2 day; 2pm - 2am.... That gives me 12 hrs / day to be 'retired' (still), 48 hrs of Overtime last week alone will help with those 'taxes'

Really no problem, as WORK is EZ compared to many things in life.

so .... Enjoy it while you have it.

(health, kids, spouse, beautiful flowers, food, music, hearing, sight ...work, )

Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Is it because you hate your job and just want to be free of that burden? I think it's normal to feel a little sad about going back to work after vacation, but obsessing about retirement when it's still 8 or 10 years away is kind of unproductive. That's a pretty long ways away.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Not everyone enjoys going to work; for a variety of reasons. Am wondering if you would enjoy more working from home?

As far as the retirement dream, that was on my mind for a long time, not obsessed with it, but it was a goal I looked forward to meeting - and have never been disappointed!

Since you have about ten years left on the job; use that time to your advantage and sock away as much money as you can to support your retirement; Mr. Rational is right on target with his suggestions!

One thing to remember is that since it's necessary you maintain employment, dwelling too much on 'not wanting to be there' will not make the time pass more quickly and can make you feel miserable. Accepting it for what it is at this stage of your life helps to make each day not seem like a drudgery.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,121 times
IMHO, being single is not as good as a good marriage, but a lot better than a bad one. I have found retirement to be the same -- not as good as a good job, but a lot better than a bad one.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
IMHO, being single is not as good as a good marriage, but a lot better than a bad one. I have found retirement to be the same -- not as good as a good job, but a lot better than a bad one.
And I have found that the worst day in retirement is better than the best day working!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement