Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,606,718 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see the Cro-Magnon cave paintings in France.

I still want to see the pyramids and especially the Sphinx. I got close back in the late 70s. Got to Israel, but I couldn't get a visa from there to Egypt. I was pissed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,408,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'd like to see the Cro-Magnon cave paintings in France.

I still want to see the pyramids and especially the Sphinx. I got close back in the late 70s. Got to Israel, but I couldn't get a visa from there to Egypt. I was pissed!
I don't know that I'd go to that part of France just for the cave paintings - but I would go just for the food . The Dordogne region is known for truffles - foie gras - armagnac - etc. <yum>. We were there in the early 80's. Some of the caves were already closed to the public - and I think that others might have been closed to the public since then.

We did hit a really sweet spot with Israel/Egypt - six months before Sadat was assassinated. A brief shining golden period in terms of relations between the 2 countries. They weren't as good before Sadat - and haven't been as good since his death. Robyn

Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,920,387 times
re: Bungee jumping in old age

Why older people shouldn't bungee jump. [VIDEO]

Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 PM

6,533 posts, read 7,021,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

The wife and I both agree we are not doing any spungie jumpin' either

Thanks for the video link

Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,491,598 times
We booked a cruise two years ago because we wanted to see the Sphinx. Well plans were aborted
and don't see any time soon that Egypt will be visitable.
So have to take that off my bucket list. Replace it with ???

Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,395,675 times
Some of my bucket list:
- learn to play guitar

- learn Spanish

- read history of the countries before visiting:
- Mexico/Central/South America -- go to a language immersion school/volunteer
- England gardens and castles -- do the walking paths

- Do all the hikes in the Sierra Club Day Hike book for NM - Last weekend I finally made it to Nambe Lake - took 5 1/2 hours to hike 7 miles--elevation gain 2,100 - lake is at 11,400' - beautiful. I had every plan to hang my hammock and read but it started raining and thundering so we had to head back down. Three days later my legs are almost recovered.

- learn to swim laps - I'm very comfortable in water but the breathing & coordination is intimidating. I tend to do back stroke and paddle board back and forth. For those afraid of water try a shallow water aerobics class--there seems to be a lot of people in NM who never learned to swim and my teacher is very good at encouraging them how to be more comfortable in water. I learned to swim by my parents taking us to lakes and pools and letting us play at our own comfort level.

- take more classes at the community college--keep learning

- bicycle 100 miles in one day

- travel around the USA camping or B&B's with no time constraints. Stay off major highways, eat at local restaurants-no chain restaurants. Contra dance and meet local people.

- write a children's book

- learn to adjust patterns so I would go back to sewing my own clothes--take a fashion design class

There are things on my list that I prefer not doing alone so if I found a partner they'd be on the list again. Such as C&W, swing, salsa dancing. I use to do it alone but way too many women and not enough men and got frustrated with standing around so I took up pottery instead.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 AM

6,533 posts, read 7,021,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
We booked a cruise two years ago because we wanted to see the Sphinx. Well plans were aborted
and don't see any time soon that Egypt will be visitable.
So have to take that off my bucket list. Replace it with ???
I had the same item on my list and removed for the same reason. There is no replacement for Egypt. The closest would be the Incas in South America but even that is kind of on the danger side too for slightly different reasons. How about maybe Madagascar?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:18 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,545,749 times
I saw photos of a co-worker's Egyptian trip.

It looked god awful in every way.

Book or internet photos of pyramids and structures in Egypt are enough for me.

The vast wasteland of nothing but sand and dust, insufferable heat, physical endurance necessary.

The poverty and intense crowdedness of the cities.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I saw photos of a co-worker's Egyptian trip.

It looked god awful in every way.

Book or internet photos of pyramids and structures in Egypt are enough for me.

The vast wasteland of nothing but sand and dust, insufferable heat, physical endurance necessary.

The poverty and intense crowdedness of the cities.
That's not totally true. Unless you travel there in the summer - and only use camels for transport in the desert .

We took a cruise up the Nile on a boat run by Sheraton in the fall. The weather was pleasant - and the sightseeing was easy (and very interesting). We even did the normal tourist stuff - like getting our pictures taken on camels - and hiring horses to go out in the desert to view the pyramids at sunset (this was perhaps a 1/4 mile horse ride from our hotel - the pyramids aren't - contrary to most stock photo shots - in the middle of nowhere). Although the "tourista" was hard to avoid (OTOH - only my husband got it).

In all honesty - our trip was pretty much out of Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad (except for things like A/C ).

The people were friendly. Even to Americans. Even to Jewish people like me.

Yes - Cairo is crowded. But no more so than Tokyo. Poorer? Yes. But no kids mutilated intentionally so they could become beggars (like in India). It was clearly a second world county - but I - as pretty much a "luxury traveler" - found travel standards very good.

I thought it was an exceptionally good trip. But the one thing it wasn't 30 years ago was dangerous (worst thing that could happen was "tourista"). Which it seems to be now. I rule out "dangerous" when it comes to travel. Robyn

Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I had the same item on my list and removed for the same reason. There is no replacement for Egypt. The closest would be the Incas in South America but even that is kind of on the danger side too for slightly different reasons. How about maybe Madagascar?
How about Israel? It doesn't have the pyramids - but it's in the neighborhood. And it has very old stuff and very new stuff squished together in pretty tight quarters. It's a nice 7-14 day trip IMO.

When my husband and I were in Jerusalem - we had a guide named Abraham (I think every guide we had in the middle east - regardless of religion - was named Abraham ). He was Muslim. I'm Jewish - and my husband is Christian. We told him we wanted to see every important religious site in Jerusalem - whether it was Jewish or Christian or Muslim. Everything from the Wailing Wall to the Dome of the Rock to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. And - over the course of 3 days - he obliged - and showed us tons of things. The most interesting to me was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre - where Orthodox Christians have been fighting over every square inch for centuries (contemporary Christians like Protestants don't get 10 square inches). Today - they can't even agree on where to put new required fire exits!

A few days in Jerusalem - and anyone will understand what all the fuss is about when it comes to this city. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement