Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times

Advertisements

I've seen online RMD calculators, but, most seem to be associated with investment firms and financial counselors who want to sell something.

Is there a rule-of-thumb or standard schedule for calculating required RMD's?

Also, my wife and I have separate IRA's, but, file joint taxes. I'm guessing that each account must be treated separately based on the age and ownership, but, I'm wondering if the overall withdrawal amount can be combined for tax purposes --- Also, can one withdraw funds in advance of 70-1/2 that can be applied toward future RMD's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I've seen online RMD calculators
most seem to be associated with investment firms and...
IRA Minimum Distribution Calculator

Most of your other common questions are addressed there (at Bankrate) as well.
The best source for general information is Investopedia who wisely won't
get specific without all the details presented (which shouldn't be done in a forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investopedia
To ensure that your RMD amounts are calculated properly and that you adhere to the general rules,
be sure to consult with a competent retirement or tax professional or your financial institution.
Taking precautionary steps will help to ensure that you avoid any associated penalties.
Also, try to avoid waiting until the last minute to request your RMD, as doing so could result in you
missing the deadline by which the amount must be withdrawn in order to avoid penalties.
Source

Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Thanks, I had already looked at that one, but, according to the site, my Java settings require a whole new download ... and I didn't want to do that. --- Is there not some type of average RMD percentage ... or is this another of those overly complicated ('bloated') government tax things?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
One of the simplest things to do is to consolidate your tax free accounts and let the investment company do it for you. The amount you owe is based on the combined total of all accounts so the fewer you have the easier it is to calculate. It is best to do it in conjuntion with a tax strategy to minimize the amount of taxes owed as you possibly move up in income category. Pay attention to changes in state tax law that can make withdrawals sooner more or less advantageous.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
according to the site, my Java settings require a whole new download
Update your system.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Minimum Distributions

Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Default RMD on paper

Quote:
Thanks, I had already looked at that one, but, according to the site, my Java settings require a whole new download ... and I didn't want to do that. --- Is there not some type of average RMD percentage ... or is this another of those overly complicated ('bloated') government tax things?
If you want to figure your own RMD on paper, there is a relatively simple 3 step worksheet from the IRS at

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/uniform_rmd_wksht.pdf

1. get age factor from chart
2. $$ in account divided by factor = RMD for that account
3. add all account RMDs together (separate totals for each spouse)

actual total RMD can be taken from one account if desired

Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If you want to figure your own RMD on paper, there is a relatively simple 3 step worksheet from the IRS at

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/uniform_rmd_wksht.pdf

1. get age factor from chart
2. $$ in account divided by factor = RMD for that account
3. add all account RMDs together (separate totals for each spouse)

actual total RMD can be taken from one account if desired
Thanks, that's helpful -- Re: the RMD from one account; does that apply to accounts in either my wife or my name (Joint Tax return)?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Update your system.
Of course! .... Why didn't I think of that? (Actually, I've had problems before with JAVA downloads on another system and didn't want to go through the problem again -- The version I have works on most sites).

Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Good site; same one as above, unfortunately much of the information reads like it was written by a tax attorney (probably was!). Still, I'm getting closer to some answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement