Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,979,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I read the book as well. The author who was angry that his neighbors left Massachusetts and no longer worked on issues in his community and who intensely dislikes the owners of the Villages because they're Republicans was disingenuous.
That was the impression I got, as well. The author started off with a resentment against the Villages and then went there with the express purpose of writing an expose. So it was an entertaining book, but not what I would call a realistic representation. Big surprise, a guy hangs out in the seediest bar he could find and manages to meet the kind of people who hang out in bars. (Plus.... don't you think a few of those people he met might have been BSing? Seems like a lot of barflies I know would eat up the attention of being interviewed for a book and enjoy the game of seeing if they could pull some book writer's leg.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,489,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Keep one thing in mind. Over 55 places were welcomed and deals cut by local governments as the over 55 meant they would not be putting children in the school system. Still paying their taxes as does anyone but not using the school services. Municipalities love them over 55 places as they generally contribute much, much more then they use in terms of tax dollars versus services required.

Also, give me a break. A bunch of 65ish and older year widows/widowers might be sleeping around but I am fairly sure it is sleeping, hugging, etc. with little "actual sexual" activity other then....well.....enough on that. I doubt few of those that live at The Villages would even report sexual issues to the local Board of Health where I expect the figures came from. No one in The Villages is tracking such. Those figures are coming from the rather rural, less educated, lower income areas around The Villages. As such, STD's, drug usage, crime, single parents, welfare, etc. figures will be higher in rural, uneducated, lower income areas. Let us count the Meth lab raids in that county. I doubt there were any inside The Villages.
You are right about the Meth lab raids. None that Iknow about! Have many friends there and would
have heard. Much less crime than other large cities 100,000.00 strong, now. Soon to be done with
building at least that's what they told me.
I leave soon. for my experience.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,325,670 times
Default Villages Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I read the book as well. The author who was angry that his neighbors left Massachusetts and no longer worked on issues in his community and who intensely dislikes the owners of the Villages because they're Republicans was disingenuous.
I read this book THREE (3) times. My distinct impression is that the author is NOT angry at his former neighbors. He missed them when they moved and was disappointed that they left, not only because he liked them, but also because they were very active in the community. I think anyone would be sad to see their good neighbors leave.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,480,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Also, give me a break. A bunch of 65ish and older year widows/widowers might be sleeping around but I am fairly sure it is sleeping, hugging, etc. with little "actual sexual" activity other then....well.....enough on that. I doubt few of those that live at The Villages would even report sexual issues to the local Board of Health where I expect the figures came from. No one in The Villages is tracking such. Those figures are coming from the rather rural, less educated, lower income areas around The Villages. As such, STD's, drug usage, crime, single parents, welfare, etc. figures will be higher in rural, uneducated, lower income areas. Let us count the Meth lab raids in that county. I doubt there were any inside The Villages.
I didn't find the old folks' sleeping around and STD aspect disturbing at all; more power to them! I don't recall the author citing statistics or figures, he just related personal observations and anecdotes and didn't seem in the least unsympathetic to those activities. He bonded with Captain Midnight and found him to be a hoot. I do, too. I don't agree that just because they're 65+, they're just hugging but you're certainly entitled to your own delusions re that. Maybe, at age 64, I'm projecting my own sexual proclivity and I'm the deluded one!
But I remain appalled by the attitude of The Village to their lower-income neighbors.

I also don't recall the book discussing meth labs, so that's news to me. When you speak of "inside The Villages", you do realize that although it's technically 'gated', it's not in any sense whatsoever a securely fenced and patrolled area, right? . If I were scoping out prospective retirement homes, nearby meth labs are something I'd want to know about.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,979,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
But I remain appalled by the attitude of The Village to their lower-income neighbors.
Isn't that typical of any development or neighborhood with amenities paid for by the residents? My neighborhood isn't a 55+ community, it's just a neighborhood. Nevertheless, it has pools, gyms, and various recreational amenities and in the summer they have to chase off kids from other neighborhoods. At first I used to say "who cares, they just want to enjoy a little swim or work out in a gym" but have observed, as the years go by, that if you give an inch they take a mile. And it's these kids who always seem to start the fights, throw litter, and harass the seniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I also don't recall the book discussing meth labs, so that's news to me. When you speak of "inside The Villages", you do realize that although it's technically 'gated', it's not in any sense whatsoever a securely fenced and patrolled area, right? . If I were scoping out prospective retirement homes, nearby meth labs are something I'd want to know about.
Just my two cents, but I suspect any development that's built out in a rural area will be near a meth lab. They can be found in all sorts of communities, and there are more than most people realize.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,399,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
...Just my two cents, but I suspect any development that's built out in a rural area will be near a meth lab. They can be found in all sorts of communities, and there are more than most people realize.
Agreed - except it isn't limited only to rural areas. Interactive map of found meth labs:

http://www.justice.gov/dea/clan-lab/clan-lab.shtml

Robyn

Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,988,409 times
Default The Villages packet

I requested a packet form the Villages out of curiosity and for those that have not received this, here's a bit of info for ya:

These are the estimated monthly charges (per 2012 rates) for a $250,000 home with homestead exemption. Monthly rates vary considerably depending on the size of the home and it']s usage as well as the type & size of the homesite it occupies:

145.00 contractual amenities fee (pools, tennis, golf etc..)
27.00 sewer
35.00 water
168.00 average gas/electric
18.00 trash collection
44.00 basic telephone
60.00 basic cable television
100.00 insurance
250.00 average taxes
192.00 Development District Assessment (varies from $97.00 - $448.00 per month)
---------
$1039.00 per month

This seems high for anyone on a tight monthly budget.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:23 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,627,187 times
In a standalone patio home HOA in SC we pay (per month):

100.00 (optional, not on site nor part of the HOA, golf club, pool, tennis)
50.00 HOA dues includes all outside maintenance. We have no amenities.
70.00 water and sewage
150.00 gas/electric
15.00 trash collection
25.00 unlimited use land line telephone
150.00 satellite TV (250 channels) and Internet
40.00 homeowners insurance
35.00 taxes with homestead exemption

$635.00 per month.

Life is not cheap.........LOL

Old 05-26-2013, 05:54 PM

419 posts, read 655,030 times
So, ACCUFITGOLF, if I am understanding right the $100 optional for golf club, pool and tennis being optional would reduce to $535 per month. We don't golf so probably would not even need it. The pool - well that would be nice but not worth $100.00

$150 for satellite tv - right now I pay close to $250.00 for Comcast cable.

Thanks for the info. Are you in Sun City, Hilton Head or ????

Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,627,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
So, ACCUFITGOLF, if I am understanding right the $100 optional for golf club, pool and tennis being optional would reduce to $535 per month. We don't golf so probably would not even need it. The pool - well that would be nice but not worth $100.00

$150 for satellite tv - right now I pay close to $250.00 for Comcast cable.

Thanks for the info. Are you in Sun City, Hilton Head or ????
We retired from Andover MA to Mount Pleasant SC (Charleston area) in 2001. In early 2011 we moved to Lexington SC (Columbia area) to be near family.

The $100.00 for golf, pool, tennis is a senior membership at a country club that has nothing to do with our HOA. It is about 3 miles from where I live.

We did look at Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton SC) and came real close to moving there but family in the Columbia area won out. We have friends that live in Sun City HH. We visit them a few times a year. I love the place. If not for family in the Columbia area, I would live in Sun City HH.

In our area the only land line phone is a company named Windstream. We have ComCast for cable/internet. Satellite for cable. I use Windstream for land line phone (unlimited US calling) and high speed internet (3MB). I use Dish satellite with 250 channels plus premiums like HBO, Showtime , etc. It is all bundled via Windstream for $190.00 per month.

If you consider this part of the country you will find most homes/developments built within the last 15 years or so (including The Villages, Sun City, my own) will be part of a Home Owners Association (HOA). There will be Covenants (Deed Restrictions), Bylaws, plus Rules and Regulations. They can vary widely from association to association. Be sure you learn/understand such.

Link to where I live FYI

www.courtsidecommons.com

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement