Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,213 times

Advertisements

That's just what mine did too, mschrief, although at the time he said it was his then girlfriend (since married found out thru the grapevine), but when I asked him if he changed his # he said his girlfriend bought him a new phone but it was just for 'emergency calls', which meant again his dad and I were not on the list of importance. How sad for us, huh. I know how much I wished I had support from parents and how much we would have done for my son and his family, thru his life, but you are right, they must think they are better off without us in their life.
Thank you, mschrief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Time changes everything , the longer the separation from your son or daughter, the less you will have in common until one day you wake up to the fact that things will never improve, or at lest as you the Parent wish for. Growing apart is a natural thing , embrace it for what it is.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:21 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
FWIW: I received a heck of a lot of support regarding my post #1192. I guess there are other people out there who thought the same thing I did.
I have a hard time believing that (in bold).
If true, I find it shocking, sad, and disturbing, as your response was rude, insensitive, and arrogant.
I don't post much on this forum, but I jumped in this time just to post my negative reaction to your post.

CaliforniaGirl -- hang in there -- life can take such strange twists and turns we never know what the future holds, and as Curmugeon had his turn around, I have had two friends with estranged children that have had come backs. One was a daughter who refused to speak to my dear friend for twelve years, but matured and dealt with her anger which ended up just being a horrible complicated misunderstanding, and they are quite close now.

My other friend's daughter had huge mental issues, and though they aren't exactly close, they at least now have contact and my friend has a good relationship with the grandson.
Good luck to you!

Old 01-03-2017, 02:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Time changes everything , the longer the separation from your son or daughter, the less you will have in common until one day you wake up to the fact that things will never improve, or at lest as you the Parent wish for. Growing apart is a natural thing , embrace it for what it is.
I call BS. Growing apart as in a grown child having their own separate life is natural. Discarding a parent is not natural.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I have a hard time believing that (in bold).
If true, I find it shocking, sad, and disturbing, as your response was rude, insensitive, and arrogant.
I agree. I doubt it also as the responses on this thread are been just the opposite.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I call BS. Growing apart as in a grown child having their own separate life is natural. Discarding a parent is not natural.
So, you do agree , except for " disgarding " a parent.......I know the dril, but , every case can be different. Things like Divorce when your son was only five , drug addiction in their teens , being separated by long distance , are just a few examples where at some point try as you might , find out you do not really know him. Yes , I should have made hard choices and maybe it would be different today , but I did not have custody , I tried , I sent money , gifts , nothing ,.....somewhere around 14 I really lost him too the drugs...no doubt his mother had blame...I have not spoken to her for over 40 years.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree, and think that's why it hurts so much and is so hard for us to accept and move on, because it is not natural for a child to turn on the parents, but also I think we need to accept it and 'try' to move on or else we are just miserable the rest of our lives.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
So, you do agree , except for " disgarding " a parent.......I know the dril, but , every case can be different. Things like Divorce when your son was only five , drug addiction in their teens , being separated by long distance , are just a few examples where at some point try as you might , find out you do not really know him. Yes , I should have made hard choices and maybe it would be different today , but I did not have custody , I tried , I sent money , gifts , nothing ,.....somewhere around 14 I really lost him too the drugs...no doubt his mother had blame...I have not spoken to her for over 40 years.
40 years!!!!! And see your heart still suffers.. I am so sorry.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
40 years!!!!! And see your heart still suffers.. I am so sorry.
actually my son has finally gotten sober , we have discovered eachother on Facebook and now have a connection from time to time. he never married , is in his mid 50s and trying to get his life back together. Yes , he could have had a part of my success in business, a future , but... that too is a shame , the drugs and booze must have been the real reason we grew futher apart , and I am sad , have been for many years. I really do not know how he feels about the way things turned out, maybe thats best..........

Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
actually my son has finally gotten sober , we have discovered eachother on Facebook and now have a connection from time to time. he never married , is in his mid 50s and trying to get his life back together. Yes , he could have had a part of my success in business, a future , but... that too is a shame , the drugs and booze must have been the real reason we grew futher apart , and I am sad , have been for many years. I really do not know how he feels about the way things turned out, maybe thats best..........
I am so glad you are in contact. I think at this point I'd take any kind of contact, even thru FB... You lost all those years, though, and I know that hurts, but the elephant in the room.. I guess your just supposed to act like you dont notice it.
How did you get back in touch with him? Did you contact him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement