Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:53 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prsilla View Post
.... However, I've found a passion and I work on conditioning and good energy. Whatever you love, if you can go do that and do it til you drop and forget you're getting tired, then you're doing very well for 70. Seventy is young these days! If you can go to a quilting show (fill in gun show, hike, whatever you enjoy) and forget yourself, just enjoy!.....
I can't agree more. Finding a passion is energizing, quite apart from regular exercise, as important as that is.

I think remaining vital as we age is a trifecta, and to me the order of importance would be:

1. Have a passion - a meaningful activity - something you really look forward to doing.
2. Get regular exercise.
3. Eat a healthy diet.

Two out of three is better than one out of three, and one out of three beats the hell out of zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've seen several friends go from age 70 to 80 really fast (interesting that it was about the same rate I went from 54 to 64 ).

I'm wondering what "age 70" feels like to others in terms of making decisions about moving, where to live, how to live, what to pursue, what not to pursue, etc. Seems like 70 is still young enough to make changes but is edging nearer the point of "no return" (age 80) in terms of energy level....

First before I answer this question can I turn the other corner of age 60?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
First before I answer this question can I turn the other corner of age 60?
You're just a kid. When's your 60th?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Wonderful thread! I turn 66 this week, only 4 more years to big 70...wow, who is that old lady I see in the mirror, can't be me....never!

I am settled where I live, no more moves for me, I hope, moving is just too much work. I have lived here 8 yrs, the longest I have lived anywhere is 9 yrs, I plan to beat that record!

So far, my health is good, I still know my name and address, and don't repeat myself every 10 min, so, for me, life is good! When 70 comes a knock'in, I'll just keep a rock'in! Or at least....that is my plan!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You're just a kid. When's your 60th?

I have 4 years before I get there. I know I am just a kid but a old kid none the less. I am ready to find that palm tree and ice cold pina colada

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
I'm 73, i don't like it but i'm stuck with it, yes i do all those things like try to keep fit, eat well, have some hobbies, love walking (while i can) love listening to my music naturally all the old stuff. Lately though i have been thinking a lot about whats in store for me, how long have i got, dwelling on it a little too much, until i heard someone say "while you are dwelling on the future you not living for the present" that cured me. It is hard though especially as i have a brother 83 who tells me every day, he's dying then walks into town and has a coffee and muffin.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 PM

498 posts, read 571,763 times
I have made changes this year (turned 70) to be in a better house, closer to a child, tidying financial items. My in-laws did nothing to get ready for old age. We had to take care of all of it for them....took about 10 years. We even moved back to do what they had put off doing. I will not put my children through that. I am not ready to die. But I am realistic. I am now set up in a good (simple) situation....and now I intend to PLAY and enjoy. Bought a new pair of birding binoculars and am shopping for a new bike. If I die tomorrow, I hope my children only have to say a prayer and sing a song. Life is indeed good.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I'm 73, i don't like it but i'm stuck with it, yes i do all those things like try to keep fit, eat well, have some hobbies, love walking (while i can) love listening to my music naturally all the old stuff. Lately though i have been thinking a lot about whats in store for me, how long have i got, dwelling on it a little too much, until i heard someone say "while you are dwelling on the future you not living for the present" that cured me. It is hard though especially as i have a brother 83 who tells me every day, he's dying then walks into town and has a coffee and muffin.
Coffee and muffin and some kind of companion are the best antidotes to old age. When I turn 70 I plan to ditch all the dietary advice and go for all my old vices. There's nothing like a muffin to make the world right.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I have made changes this year (turned 70) to be in a better house, closer to a child, tidying financial items. My in-laws did nothing to get ready for old age. We had to take care of all of it for them....took about 10 years. We even moved back to do what they had put off doing. I will not put my children through that. I am not ready to die. But I am realistic. I am now set up in a good (simple) situation....and now I intend to PLAY and enjoy. Bought a new pair of birding binoculars and am shopping for a new bike. If I die tomorrow, I hope my children only have to say a prayer and sing a song. Life is indeed good.
I love your attitude. I'm trying to keep that too. My situation needs to be simpler, though I do have a lot in place right now. I cannot believe how long it takes to GET everything in place for the final exit, and I want to do all this practical stuff now while I have my faculties and then I will let all my concerns go and just say I've done my part, I'm no longer responsible. I'll put on my earphones and write and paint like Henry Miller did in old age. Everyone else can go pound sand.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I love what you wrote, and I understand.
And I say kudoes to you all!

I'll be 66 in two weeks, and am just getting established in this retirement stuff, along with my husband, who's 67. We're so glad we've been in a great position to retire, and enjoy the "dessert" of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement