Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Gee, I've experienced that when he wasn't doing anything else and looking directly at me!
Ever think there might be a reason ?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Most men are not able to multi-task anyway! Ever try to have any type of conversation with a husband who is doing something else? Even with a short comment, he doesn't hear it, most especially if he is watching TV.
I have read that there is scientific research showing that women are better at multi-tasking than men. As for the reason, there is only speculation, but it makes sense to me that women, as the protectors and care-givers for small children, would need to be aware of everything the children are doing while they (the women) are engaged in other tasks at the same time. There was also speculation that an intensive focus on one thing helped men with hunting.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
The old study of the retired Nuns indicates that we need to use our minds if we want to prevent this problem. I do lots of simple math drills, puzzles etc...weekly just in case...

Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
It occurs to me that if 1-in-8 of us reports memory loss, perhaps the other seven have forgotten!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It occurs to me that if 1-in-8 of us reports memory loss, perhaps the other seven have forgotten!
that is pretty much what I said or they are lying maybe both.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Has anyone found anything that actually improved their memory such as a certain supplement, exercise, or brain game?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Has anyone found anything that actually improved their memory such as a certain supplement, exercise, or brain game?
I'm a lifetime member of Luminosity and Fitbrains and have purchased games from Cognifit.

http://www.lumosity.com/app/v4/dashboard
Different games focus on speed, memory, attention, flexibility and problem solving.

Brain Games & Brain Training
Different games focus on language, memory, attention, flexibility and problem solving.

Brain Training, Brain Games And Memory Programs, Brain Fitness - CogniFit
Brain planning, mental numbers, concentration, driving co-ordination, general training.

The secret to improving is to commit to training regularly. I'm afraid I haven't kept up up. I used to do a training session 5 days a week.

Although I enjoy some games at Fitbrains, I like Lumosity the best because the daily training sessions generally are shorter than Fitbrains and more detail is given on how I compare to others in my age group as well as others in different age groups. For example I score better in memory games than 87% of members in my age group. However, when my score is compared to the 35-39 age group, my score drops to 55%. Compared to the 20-24 age group, my score drops to 27%. On the other hand, I'm not surprised that I score better in problem-solving games than 93% of those in the 20 to 24 age group. A lot of my hobbies and interests require analytical skills.

By the way, don't pay full price for any of the membership options at Lumosity or Fitbrains. Do a google search for promo codes or coupon codes. I think I ended up paying about half-price for both my lifetime memberships.

I read an article some months ago that suggested that, although brain games may help older adults, they are not really very effective for younger adults. I don't know why.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Short term memory loss is something I never really knew I suffered with until I was given several test and I flunked them badly. If you want to test yourself or others try this. Write down 7 objects which arent related . Slowly read the list to a friend and tell him you will be asking him later to recall the items....After 5 minutes ask him to list the items and they dont have to be in any special order....The results can be shocking.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I majored in history in college....so many dates, pacts, tribunals, battles, names and details to remember....I believe my last semester before graduating, I had 15 books to read among my various classes (literature and fairly dry history books). I think I didn't read any books for 6 months after that....so much to remember.

When we I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's, my life was filled with important daily details that I needed to remember: Pick up the children from school (at different times and schools), take the baby for a check-up, shop and cook for what seemed like an army, get the kids to their music lessons and sports practices ontime...get up at 5 am to get to the gym by 5:30.

Now my life is less complicated....information constantly flutters in and out of my brain with much of it being quickly for gotten. I don't feel the urgency to be as regimented as I once was..and. I don't have many urgent things to remember or that I want to remember. I want to do what I want to do...to have more choice in what I do. Daily activities are looser, somewhat less important and definitely more enjoyable...details are forgotten...memory loss is part of the cause, but a desire for a less complicated life is also part of it....different priorities.

Sure there are still plenty of things that I must remember to do, but there is so much more choice in what I end up doing....remembering lots of details is less important....bithdays of loved ones, doctors appointments, etc....those I write down and put in my phone's calendar.

I'm just less concerned with remembering lots of details.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-31-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
What was the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement