Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Assisted Suicide as Currently Practiced in the 3 States in the U.S. is a Desirable an
Yes 127 79.38%
No 26 16.25%
Undecided 7 4.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times

Advertisements

I expect to be treated as humanely as I would treat and have treated my pets. I don't expect them to suffer in pain, why would I. I see no point - religious, moral ~~~~bah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Assisted suicide already occurs, anyone who works in LTC knows it. Grandma checks in, and her POA signs a document regarding level of care, and checks ALL the boxes.

No flu shot
No hydration fluids
No assisted feeding
No food mechanical soft
No supplemental foods
NO TO ANYTHING, and EVERYTHING
No medication aside from pain management...

Be very careful who your power of attorney is....

I have seen healthy seniors, die within weeks....one had pneumonia, only 75, he could have been saved with simple intervention. Nope. Against the Advanced Directive....dead, after 10 days of brutal suffering. It was assisted suicide...long and drawn out.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Assisted suicide already occurs, anyone who works in LTC knows it. Grandma checks in, and her POA signs a document regarding level of care, and checks ALL the boxes.

No flu shot
No hydration fluids
No assisted feeding
No food mechanical soft
No supplemental foods

I have seen healthy seniors, die within weeks....one had pneumonia, only 75, he could have been saved with simple intervention. Nope. Against the Advanced Directive....dead, after 10 days of brutal suffering. It was assisted suicide...long and drawn out.
You're leaving out an important fact. The person who signs the Advance Directive, decides on "end of life" decisions, like DNR, no heroic means, etc. It was their decision. The POA merely informs the facility of the patient's decision.

Facilities and emergency personnel love to ignore Advance Directives and just do whatever they want, resulting in keeping people alive artificially, despite their wishes to the contrary.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
It is obvious you have no clue. A POA can write whatever they want. And Grandma, with dementia, or even a coherent Grandma, has pretty much given up their rights.

I have seen families torn up, when the POA, who wants Mom or Dad dead, to have a larger pot of money, just wants them dead. One daughter took her brother to court, saying her Mother would have never wanted to have her food or water not given to her. And, I believed her. I have seen it happen many, many times....it is heart breaking to watch.

It is not assisted suicide, it is complete disregard for life, and treating elderly like disposable objects, that can be legally killed. And save that $$$....long term care is not cheap.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
how much will you pay us for this information you seek?
What does this have to do with the question in the OP? Posting just to hear yourself type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no, moral reasons and political.
1st step to killing old people aka "assisted suicide" is to get them to agree that they should be dead.
That's the whole point to assisted suicide! Agreeing to die is the first step.

"Killing old people" sounds like the crap the REPs and TPers were spouting about Obama Care that was so outrageously stupid that no one believed it except for splinter groups.

If I want to die because I'm in unbearable pain or my life is not worth living for other medical reasons that is my right. Stay out of it. It's my life, not yours.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You're leaving out an important fact. The person who signs the Advance Directive, decides on "end of life" decisions, like DNR, no heroic means, etc. It was their decision. The POA merely informs the facility of the patient's decision.

Facilities and emergency personnel love to ignore Advance Directives and just do whatever they want, resulting in keeping people alive artificially, despite their wishes to the contrary.

They did this to my father-in-law. He spent two more months in Hell because they decided to resuscitate even though he had been in intensive care for almost a year, on the verge of death. When it finally came they drug him back to purgatory.

azzholes

Quote:

No flu shot
No hydration fluids
No assisted feeding
No food mechanical soft
No supplemental foods

I have seen healthy seniors, die within weeks....one had pneumonia, only 75, he
could have been saved with simple intervention. Nope. Against the Advanced Directive....dead, after 10 days of brutal suffering. It was assisted suicide...long and drawn out
See my comments above. It goes both ways.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Quote:
It is obvious you have no clue. A POA can write whatever they want. And Grandma, with dementia, or even a coherent Grandma, has pretty much given up their rights.

I have seen families torn up, when the POA, who wants Mom or Dad dead, to have a larger pot of money, just wants them dead. One daughter took her brother to court, saying her Mother would have never wanted to have her food or water not given to her. And, I believed her. I have seen it happen many, many times....it is heart breaking to watch.

It is not assisted suicide, it is complete disregard for life, and treating elderly like disposable objects, that can be legally killed. And save that $$$....long term care is not cheap.
And I have had the opposite problem, the hospital ignoring a POA and requiring a threatening letter from an attorney to get them to pay attention to it.

I've also seen a family split apart in a situation which could have been described above, because one of the sons refused to believe what my uncle's STATED and WRITTEN wishes were. The son didn't agree for his own reasons and projected that onto his father.

And, frankly, if I am deep in the throes of dementia and costing my family the $5-6k a month that care costs around here - by all means, please withhold food and water if I become unable to eat.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,534,880 times
I think the whole point is not having to withhold food and water, as that is such a sad way to go.

My mother had dementia, as well as the rest of her siblings. Seeing her disappear into nothingness and watching her in that state for years until the day her mind forgot to tell her lungs to breathe or her heart to beat was heart-wrenching. She had no enjoyment in life at the end, no comprehension of what was going on around her.

I suspect I will go through the same thing. I hope I don't have to starve and dehydrate when I get there. I hope there is some other humane way out, like with my pets.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
I hope so too.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
And I have had the opposite problem, the hospital ignoring a POA and requiring a threatening letter from an attorney to get them to pay attention to it.

I've also seen a family split apart in a situation which could have been described above, because one of the sons refused to believe what my uncle's STATED and WRITTEN wishes were. The son didn't agree for his own reasons and projected that onto his father.

And, frankly, if I am deep in the throes of dementia and costing my family the $5-6k a month that care costs around here - by all means, please withhold food and water if I become unable to eat.
Actually, not eating or drinking is a natural and painless way to go. You can opt for comfort care (pain meds) but withholding of all life saving measures including antibiotics. But don't leave it to chance, as many a medical intervention happens despite your DNR and other health care directives. This is a great book by two sisters, a doctor and a lawyer, that explains just what you need to do to have a "natural death" in home or hospital, if you so choose. Choosing not to eat or drink as one way of "going" should be a right, they argue, but without the proper forms the med people will force-feed.

A Better Way of Dying: How to Make the Best Choices at the End of Life: Jeanne Fitzpatrick, Eileen M. Fitzpatrick, William Colby: 9780143116752: Amazon.com: Books

The directive form they provide spells out when the orders go into effect—on admission, or close to death, or that you can verbally retract, etc. I will fill in "close to death."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement