Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that many residents of Minnesota DO go outside in the winter and enjoy it! They cross country ski, downhill ski, hike, walk, ice fish, snowmobile, sled, and some even ride bikes! I know Minnesota isn't the only state with citizens who enjoy the great outdoors in the winter. I enjoy my winter walks just as much as my summer walks.

Even though some activities don't qualify as a cardio workout (snowmobiling, ice fishing...) they do get a person outside and that is healthy!!

It is fine with me that there are many people who wouldn't want to live in Minnesota - more room and resources for those of us who already do.

Also, we do have a very good health care system throughout the state. That helps!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
I live in WI and have been to MN many times. Both are nice places and unless you live in the northern part of either state, winters aren't bad at all.

As far as not getting out and exercising for three months in the winter, well, that's far better than being cooped up nine months out of the year because of stifling heat and humidity.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:30 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
My state, Utah, consistently ranks among the most healthy in the country. If I could point to one factor that explains this its the very small percentage of the population that smokes tobacco. There is also a comparatively small percentage that consume alcohol and, as a result, morbidity and mortality from alcohol related problems is the lowest in the country. We are consistently creating more bicycle paths and walking trails as well.

The other pattern I consistently note in every survey ever taken that compares the health of different states is the fact that virtually every state in the deep South ranks among the worst in the country. These are states with probably the best climate in the winter time. On the other hand, Northern states and New England states with cold winters consistently are some of the healthiest states in the country with the greatest longevity. What gives here? I wonder if human beings simply do better in cold climates than in warmer ones? Its sort of counter intuitive because so many of us want to live in a place with mild winters. However, maybe its good for us to be out working, shivering, and struggling to stay warm.

Last edited by markg91359; 06-01-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The other pattern I consistently note in every survey ever taken that compares the health of different states is the fact that virtually every state in the deep South ranks among the worst in the country. These are states with probably the best climate in the winter time. On the other hand, Northern states and New England states with cold winters consistently are some of the healthiest states in the country with the greatest longevity. What gives here? I wonder if human beings simply do better in cold climates than in warmer ones? Its sort of counter intuitive because so many of us want to live in a place with mild winters. However, maybe its good for us to be out working, shivering, and struggling to stay warm.
I have my own theory about why the deep south ranks low on many health measures, and it is the presence of so many rednecks who have high rates of tobacco use and alcohol abuse and low rates of going to doctors and dentists regularly. Their diet is probably not the healthiest either.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
One factor could be that warmer climates folks tend to consume junk foods in the year-round warmer weather - ice cream, soda, "lab drinks," cookout hotdogs on white buns, etc. In the winter up here we usually consume hearty foods and less of the typical commercial summer stuff. Also, it's possible that the South in general has less consciousness about nutrition (?). Just guessing.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:29 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Many Southern states lag in income, education and available health services they lead the nation in citizens without health insurance. All of which correlate with poor nutrition and health. In many areas the lines between haves and have nots is clear. The level of folks who smoke might surprise many from elsewhere.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Also, people with health challenges are more likely to move to the warmer climates. It's not that warmer climates make you sick, it's that sick/disabled people are more likely to be attracted to moving there.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:57 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Quote:
My state, Utah, consistently ranks among the most healthy in the country. If I could point to one factor that explains this its the very small percentage of the population that smokes tobacco. There is also a comparatively small percentage that consume alcohol and, as a result, morbidity and mortality from alcohol related problems is the lowest in the country. We are consistently creating more bicycle paths and walking trails as well.
The minute Utahns get all cocky about not drinking alcohol nor smoking cigarettes, I bring up the fact that diabetes is out of control here and is only going to get worse. Dietary habits here are abominable. Substituting sugar and fat abuse for alcohol is hardly a win.

And... MATERNAL DEATHS are high. That means prenatal care is being ignored. Not good - for the mom or the baby.

STD rates are also bad (94% increase in syphillis) - no sex education either at home OR at school is to blame for that - thank the state legislature for that lovely fact.

Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune

Old 06-01-2013, 04:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Isn't there a correlation between income/education levels and health? If so wouldn't states with higher levels have healthier citizens and the reverse lower? Wouldn't people who transplant bring their personal profile and habits with them? Just a thought.
My smartest friends (some with PhDs) see absolutely no correlation between good health practices, food (what they put in their mouths) and degree of health. "Schooling" has little to do with it. Common sense has more so.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My smartest friends (some with PhDs) see absolutely no correlation between good health practices, food (what they put in their mouths) and degree of health. "Schooling" has little to do with it. Common sense has more so.
You are coming to that conclusion based on a very small sample (your friends). Further, you do not specify exactly what dietary practices you think your "smartest" friends should be following but are not. Diet is an area subject to much faddism, so we are left unable to judge where you stand on the matter.

By contrast, "schooling" has a whole lot to do with smoking rates. The statistics on smoking by educational level are simply staggering, meaning that the differences are enormous, with the least educated people smoking the most and the most educated smoking the least.

One can speculate as to why this is so. My own thinking is that it's a matter not of knowledge (who can escape - in our day and age - knowing that smoking is bad for you?) but of the ability to defer gratification and regulate behavior based on long-term versus short-term thinking. To get a college degree, and even moreso to get a Ph.D., requires a lot of discipline and concentration on long-term goals. So does quitting smoking once you have started.

Let's not get into the "I know a Ph.D. who smokes and a high-school dropout who doesn't" kind of argument. The fact is that for most, but not necessarily all, measures of health practices, the more highly educated score substantially higher. This thread is about health outcomes over the entire population, and education levels are part of the whole "red-neck" syndrome that I referred to in an earilier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement