Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And gin . Robyn
Robin, curious.. did you really drink gin? I was afraid it would dehydrate me. Geez, now I find out!

They said I could have tea and Italian shaved ice so I made myself a tea soda. I plunked a few scoops of lemon flavored shaved ice in the tea and it was quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Robin, curious.. did you really drink gin? I was afraid it would dehydrate me. Geez, now I find out!

They said I could have tea and Italian shaved ice so I made myself a tea soda. I plunked a few scoops of lemon flavored shaved ice in the tea and it was quite good.
I drink gin every night - about 1 part gin to 3 parts water (on ice). With all that water - I am not dehydrated. I'm surprised you were allowed to have tea. Tea is brown. Gin is colorless! I just told the anesthesia person what I had the night before - and how much I weighed - so there was no danger of over-sedation (I just use the versed/valium/etc. sedation). Guess it depends in part what you're used to.

And I think the most important prep thing is having your GI system totally clean - whatever it takes. Robyn

Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I'm surprised you were allowed to have tea. Tea is brown.
With as much knowledge as you've shown on this thread, I'm surprised that you didn't know that. Coffee is also acceptable as long as you don't add milk/cream to it. I'm a 10-15 cup a day coffee drinker (yes, I know that's bad) and having to do without the morning of the procedure is bad enough; I don't know that I could survive if I had to do without it the day before as well, lol.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
I did not read all the posts, too many at this point. The question is , when are you considered too old to have the procedure? I am 72 and my Gastro guy seems to think I am past the age to worry about it.
The one I will never forget was at lest 10 years ago . The recovery was hell ! That's when He discovered I had what looked like
IBS. I have been on the very expensive drug Pentasa ever since. Today He took me off the drug , after all these years....

Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That's when He discovered I had what looked like
IBS. I have been on the very expensive drug Pentasa ever since. Today He took me off the drug , after all these years....
This is strange to me. Pentasa (mesalamine) is an anti-inflammatory that is used in the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). I took mesalamine for 15 years, but I have an IBD, not IBS. I'm no expert when it comes to IBS, but I don't understand why you were being treated with mesalamine when there is no inflammation with IBS. IBS is usually controlled by managing diet, lifestyle, and stress, with drugs just used to alleviate certain symptoms such as using anti-diarrheals or anti-spasmodics.

What did the Pentasa do for you?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:20 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
Quote:
Yes - colon perforation is a possible - although unusual - complication. But not a big deal for most people < 80. Which is why regular/routine colonoscopies aren't recommended for most people 80-85+. Robyn
Robyn, thanks for a very informative thread. My mom is 82 and had one about six weeks ago. I was concerned about it because of her age but everything went smoothly. Her Doctor had advised her to have it. The worst part was the prep as she could barely get the solution down, but finally did. The other bad part was having to have her at the ER/Outpatient Center by 6:00 am. My parents are late sleepers and it is an adventure to have them get up so early to be anywhere! Anyway things went well and my dad and I got to see her in recovery and while she was a bit groggy, we were home by 9:30 am. She wanted a sandwich for lunch and then slept much of the afternoon.

As for me, I am 55 and see the need to have one as well. I had one along with the upper GI series test about 30 years ago. I had a bleeding ulcer at the time and had surgery for that as well.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
This is strange to me. Pentasa (mesalamine) is an anti-inflammatory that is used in the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). I took mesalamine for 15 years, but I have an IBD, not IBS. I'm no expert when it comes to IBS, but I don't understand why you were being treated with mesalamine when there is no inflammation with IBS. IBS is usually controlled by managing diet, lifestyle, and stress, with drugs just used to alleviate certain symptoms such as using anti-diarrheals or anti-spasmodics.

What did the Pentasa do for you?
It could have been IBD, or , well they thought I had Chrons at first. The intestine was raw like a chicken was clawing its way out ! I was quite Sick after the colinopp. I was sent to the Gastro guys in Grand Rapids, mi and that was their thinking, not Chrons but I guess IBD, . I have been told so many reasons over the years, for taking Pentasa most I thought was to repair the intestinal wall., and liquid uncontrollable bowl movements, which I don't remember having except for after the test. No , there was another reason for taking it, seems current thinking disagrees with what was thought back then. Yes, I am confused, I have colitis too real bad attacks several times a year, I never know when the ER visit is coming. That varies too, have gone 10 years without an attack when I was younger...very strange but all these years I thought the Pentasa was for that too.?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes, I am confused, I have colitis too real bad attacks several times a year, I never know when the ER visit is coming. That varies too, have gone 10 years without an attack when I was younger...very strange but all these years I thought the Pentasa was for that too.?
Yes, that's exactly what Pentasa is prescribed for and makes much more sense to me than your earlier post. I guess you just got the nomenclature confused. You were taking Pentasa for the colitis (IBD), not for IBS.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,614 times
I haven't read the whole post and I apologize if I posted this before, but my doctor told me white wine was ok as it was clear. I certainly loved that answer and am sad he retired.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, that's exactly what Pentasa is prescribed for and makes much more sense to me than your earlier post. I guess you just got the nomenclature confused. You were taking Pentasa for the colitis (IBD), not for IBS.
I guess my new GI Guy goes to a different school than the previous Docs. Why would he take me off the Pentasa , knowing my Colitis history then ? One problem is upper ( colitis) the other is Lower intestinal never the two shall meet ? still confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement