Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM

5,325 posts, read 6,011,554 times

Advertisements

My brother had one every FEW years beginning in his early 20's because he was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis soon after his tour (love that word!) in Vietnam ended. In his early 50s a colonoscopy revealed cancer. His colon was removed, a colostomy was performed, and he later had reconstructive surgery to create a "pouch". He's still alive at age 63, but is now waiting for the results of a liver MRI. Fingers crossed.

Given his history, I've had several colonoscopies since age 50; the last one about 7 or 8 years ago. I'm a little past due. I found the prep intolerable. That is, I became severely hypotensive and wanted to lie down on the floor and die. Guess that explains why I haven't been in a hurry to schedule another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:22 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,600 times
Odd duck here. 58 and haven't had one and don't plan to. That simple.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:16 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
Got my first last year upon getting Medicare. Gatorade and Miralx were my magic elixir. Not too bad. Drank it kind of tepid to avoid stomach cramps from cold fluids.

Procedure was a snap--clean as a whistle. Came home, ate a light meal, napped for two hours and then went to a party that night.

I'm glad I had it done, it was comforting to find out all was well.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Update. Procedure went smoothly. The doctor found 9 polyps and removed them. They are almost certainly benign - but biopsy results will show for sure. First time I've ever had polyps.

Had an enormous lunch at Waffle House (Waffle House never tasted better ). Then went home and slept for 2 hours. Still a little groggy - but feeling fine now. Robyn

Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
I am now on an 18 month schedule -- see how many polyps I have, then maybe back to yearly. I was lucky I went in when I 1st did at 58 --several pre cancerous polyps
The prep is so easy now!! I used to take pills, now (wish I could remember name) there's an easier liquid method. I'm actually supposed to drink less liquid than I usually do. Ask your doc about alternatives to GoLightly!
I've had 3 different preps. The first was GoLightly. Didn't like that at all (much too much to drink). The second was another liquid which was taken in a much lower volume - along with magnesium citrate (a pretty violent laxative). That was actually the easiest fastest prep. This prep was some MOM the night before the night before (easy). Then 2 liters of something called Movi-Prep (more fluid than the last time - less than Go-Lightly). My doctor changed to this because the fluid I used last time doesn't seem to work these days.

Movi-Prep is vile tasting - even cold - it has a very sickening artificial "lemon/lime" flavor. But no question that the stuff works (everything seems to work - and I guess that's the most important thing!). It is however ridiculously expensive. About $90 at Costco even with a good Part D plan. I'm glad I asked my doctor's office about the the cost - because it gave me a free "trial coupon" . Robyn

Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Update. Procedure went smoothly. The doctor found 9 polyps and removed them. They are almost certainly benign - but biopsy results will show for sure. First time I've ever had polyps.

Had an enormous lunch at Waffle House (Waffle House never tasted better ). Then went home and slept for 2 hours. Still a little groggy - but feeling fine now. Robyn
great news! Waffle House would be my choice too.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
YUCK. I had my first one this year. I had to do the colonoscopy and I also had to do at the same time the endoscopy. Thank God they put me under with gas so I don't remember anything besides the tube going down my throat!

I did that Go Lytely prep the night before and boy was it disgusting. I do agree with the others that the Lemon flavor helps but that is just a lot of liquid to drink. But boy does it clean your system out! I've never ran to the bathroom so many times so quickly in my life! LOL.

I'm not looking forward to the next one but I agree with you that these are important to do.
My doctor recommends Charmin Ultra Soft in his prep instructions . It's my usual household TP (I buy it at Costco).

As for endoscopy - I can't comment (never had one). But I've always used "twilight sleep" - not general anesthesia (propofol) - for colonoscopy. Makes you sleepy for the rest of the day - and gives you amnesia about the procedure. But you fall asleep 1/2/3 (don't usually get past 91 counting backwards from 100 by 3s) and don't feel a thing with it. Also - some insurance companies give people a hard time about using propofol (apparently Medicare doesn't). Best to check insurance coverage before choosing anesthesia type. Robyn

Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
And some of us are over 50 and NOT on Medicare and are looking at paying between $2,000 and $8,000 out of pocket. My mother died of colon cancer at 52, I've had previous colonoscopies and polyps removed on every one. This last year was the FIRST time it was ever covered by insurance, due to new provisions in the ACA.

Prices here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/he...s.html?hp&_r=0

along with an explanation of why it is an order of magnitude more expensive in the US than other countries.
I've used the same doctor/facility for all 3 colonoscopies. And it never cost more than about $1500 for the doctor and facility fee (the doctors have a huge practice that includes their own ambulatory surgical center - and I paid out-of-pocket because I didn't meet annual deductibles). Note that pre-Medicare - my doctor was a participating member in my PPO - and the PPO discount off list was about 35%.

One way to save money (at least at the place I use) is by using twilight sleep (started by a nurse in an IV) instead of general anesthesia. That way - you avoid the extra cost of an anesthesia person (whether nurse or regular anesthesiologist). Also - I think the drugs are cheaper. FWIW - I use the twilight sleep because I prefer it (won't get general anesthesia unless absolutely necessary).

I guess another way is to shop around assuming you have a choice of good providers where you live.

A third is to avoid having the procedure in a hospital (although certain people - as a result of various risk factors) must have the procedure done in a hospital. Robyn

Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Very important topic. With proper screening, colon cancer is close to 100% preventable.

It makes little sense imo that most private insurance only covers colonoscopies IF no polyps are found. Is that true for Medicare?
edit: here's a link that discusses the issue, it's two years old, don't know if anything has changed:
Under Health Law, Colonoscopies Are Free
My insurance always covered colonoscopy because I have diverticular disease. I don't know what it would have covered had it been 100% a screening procedure (tossed the policy when I went on Medicare).

Under Medicare - best I understand it - it can be either a "screening procedure" or a "diagnostic procedure". If it's a "screening procedure" - Medicare covers it 100% once every 10 years unless you have factors putting you at higher risk (like family history). Medicare pays for screening more often then.

I don't know whether the "diagnostic" code is prospective or retrospective. Or perhaps it's a combination of both (because I assume removing polyps during any kind of colonoscopy is an additional charge). But if you're talking about diagnostic colonoscopy with Medicare - Medicare does cover it subject to Medicare co-pays/deductibles - which can be covered in whole or in part by Medigap supplement policies. I have a good Medigap policy. And - best I can figure out - my procedure today will cost me $0 out of pocket no matter how it's coded. Robyn

Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
...For those that have experienced the 'delight' of the prep, I have a story that might make you feel a little better
A friend did the '3 day' prep...got there and was cancelled because there was still too much fecal matter present.
Once is bad enough....she had to go through it twice! Now, don't you feel better?
I've never heard of a 3 day prep. Perhaps it was designed to be "gentle" and just simply didn't work. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement