Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
We moved to a Vacation area. I suppose we may eventually take vacations to other places but where we live is so wonderful that we simply don't like to leave.
yes, interesting plan... I grew up in Estes Park, CO in it's hay-day, it was a zoo, but NOW I am within one hr of several destinations, and enjoy the convenience.

Most important at the moment is being 20 minutes to a GREAT airport with CHEAP direct flights to other great destinations. (Took 7 flights in last 10 days). But... Summer has arrived, so I must stay home and mow till July (with a short trip to Colorado, Nebraska, and CA in mid-late June).

$28 airfare from Portland, OR to San Diego kept me in the sun this last winter.! Can't buy much fuel for $28, if I were using hotels instead of guest houses($10), I would have just flown back home daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
We moved to a Vacation area. I suppose we may eventually take vacations to other places but where we live is so wonderful that we simply don't like to leave.
I feel the same way, I can't hardly step out my front door without tripping over tourists from some part of the world!

I try to spend 30 min everyday staring at the Pacific Ocean and realizing how lucky I am!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Yet another one who retired to a vacation area. People from all over the world pay big bucks to visit the attractions here, for me it's just a 15-20 minute drive to those places.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I agree I now take more trips. Since wife retired also we really are not interested in long trips especially foreign or by airplane except when necessary. we both were raised when the family road trips were so popular.no more cruises or other guided trips more go see the areas we did see nearby. Wife even wants to drive to California to see relatives next time and leave a week to make the trip to see more things along the way.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
We only take long weekend trips. People come from all over the World to play golf where we live so it we are are living in vacation land.
Going back North this weekend to get Italian food/pizza fix. If we have time might visit relatives.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
We were just saying today that we live in a vacation land so how can we go on vacation??? We took a drive up the beautiful coast of New Hampshire on a day with (rare) perfect weather. The other night we sat out on a deck over the ocean, listened to a band and had drinks.

We might take our camper to the Cape for a few days before kids are out of school making it noisy and crowded. Then we'll take off for Vermont for a week or so.

We don't have loads of money to spends taking trips but having a camper is helping and we are saving to go back to England for a visit sometime.

The best part is that you can go whenever you want to. You can go places during the week when it's less crowded and you can get deals off season or during the week. You can even wait around for the good weather as long as it doesn't involve an airline ticket or anything else you have to reserve.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,204 times
when i worked, we took a week to ten day vacation almost every year, as well as usually two or three long weekend trips. since i've been retired, we've taken two 8-10 day vacations and several shorter trips.
however, i find less and less a need for vacations, and travel itself i find more and more bothersome . certainly air travel is something we try to avoid. these days, it is more likely a three or four day trip, often someplace local or fairly close. sometimes a day trip will suffice and satisfy the need to do something different.
i'm turning 70 in a month and we've talked about a trip to "celebrate" but i really can't come up with any place i feel compelled to go. of couse money is of some consideration but the real reason we do less traveling is that we both prefer life in the slower lane and travel often makes that less feasible. i was never an especially good traveler and now, that i have nothing really to escape from-workload, schedules,deadlines, traffic congestion- i find fewer than ever reasons to travel.

catsy girl

Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,070 times
I guess now that I am retired, I don't take vacations, but I do take trips. The first trip I took lasted 2 years. In the future I will probably cut back some. I expect to travel for 3-6 months and then spend a few months back at the home base.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
When I worked ... I took vacations.

I'm retired now ... I take trips. What would I take a vacation *from*?
I love it!

I'm not fully retired. Truth is that I really enjoy working so I doubt I'd ever truly "retire". I think I'd get too bored.

But traveling is one of our biggest passions. We travel over 100+ days a year. Or at least we have for the past 5 years. But we will slow down next year. Or at least we say that each year.

We absolutely love exploring new cities and visiting favorite cities. We spent 3 months living in Europe last year and had an amazing time.

For those of you that are retired and living in a fairly reasonably desirable city you might want to check out HomeExchange.com We own several vacation properties and have swapped for amazing properties all over the world.

Our goal when we are fully retired is to spend probably 3 months out of the year in Europe. A few months down in South America and the bulk of our time here in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement