Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

"Federal employees who are eligible to retire could switch instead to a hybrid in which they would continue working half-time while also receiving a partial annuity, under rules to be published Wednesday. Rules proposed by the Office of Personnel Management would carry out “phased retirement” authority enacted nearly a year ago but still not available. The rules provide for a 60-day comment period."

Details here:

‘Phased retirement’ policy for federal workers unveiled

No comment except I'm aways suspicious when they want to change something supposedly to benefit workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 AM

419 posts, read 656,360 times
Great idea for Government workers who want to work part-time. Don't see any downside to this.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Great idea for Government workers who want to work part-time. Don't see any downside to this.
Shouldn't be any downside as you say. I am wondering how it would all play out in the media, blogs, internet, forums, etc when you consider:

Many people don't like and resent federal employees and their salaries/benefits
Many people don't like pensions period
Many people don't like to pay taxes for someone else's salary and benefits. The not on my dime concept.

Given the above people and the above forums you have to wonder how many downsides will magically appear when and if it actually started to move forward with possible implementation.

Imagine your neighbor working part time and getting part of their pension at the same time and how folks would react to that? Sorta like retire/rehire except structured differently. Shouldn't be a problem but in this era a lot that shouldn't becomes.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM

419 posts, read 656,360 times
Lots of people retire from one job in the private sector; draw their pension and then work part-time at another job. What's the difference? Oh, yea, they don't work for the Government.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Shouldn't be any downside as you say. I am wondering how it would all play out in the media, blogs, internet, forums, etc when you consider:

Many people don't like to pay taxes for someone else's salary and benefits. The not on my dime concept.

Given the above people and the above forums you have to wonder how many downsides will magically appear when and if it actually started to move forward with possible implementation.

Imagine your neighbor working part time and getting part of their pension at the same time and how folks would react to that? Sorta like retire/rehire except structured differently. Shouldn't be a problem but in this era a lot that shouldn't becomes.
I agree with you, I wouldn't like it either

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

It would p*** me off. There are many younger workers who need those jobs.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
It's also a good idea for less senior staff who would be tasked with assuming the duties of the person retiring. According to the article:

Quote:
The main purpose of phased retirement is to enhance mentoring and training of the employees who will be filling the positions of more experienced employees who are preparing for full retirement. It is intended to encourage experienced employees to remain, in at least a part-time capacity, while less experienced employees are preparing to assume the duties of the employees who are planning to retire.
And of course, phased retirement for federal employees has the added bonus of pissing off those who hate federal employees anyway. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
It would p*** me off. There are many younger workers who need those jobs.
To me it depends on the job. Not all of us "seniors" are brain dead and should be replaced by younger workers. In many cases, retired workers of long experience are brought back on-board part-time because they have two thing younger workers lack. Those "things" are historical perspective and institutional memory; both of which pre-date electronic data bases. Those are invaluable in certain venues and occupations.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
A downside to doing it is that part time workers, which one would become under this arrangement, are out the door before full time employees in a RIF situation.

My agency would not offer this unless they were desperate with meeting budget...and at risk of a RIF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement