Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,434,647 times

Advertisements

The links I've been able to find are pretty old.

2009: McConnell Blasts Government Over 'Gag Order' on Private Health Care Provider | Fox News

2011: GOP Overreacts To CMS 'Gag Order' - NationalJournal.com

2009: Insurers Criticize Administration 'Gag Order' - Washington Post

2009: GOP Lawmakers Protest Medicare Probe as ‘Gag Order’ - Washington Wire - WSJ

2009: Camp: Who Made Gag Order Decision? - Rep. Dave Camp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 AM

3,605 posts, read 7,887,395 times
Maybe the gag order was imposed by the death panels.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,156,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Maybe the gag order was imposed by the death panels.
You mean the insurance companies who currently refuse coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, or the ones who set private insurance rates so high that people like my late friend die from cancer because they can't afford it out of pocket? I actually had a former neighbor tell me it didn't matter if you couldn't afford health insurance because ERs had to provide service to you and the government would reimburse them (this is actually why the conservative Heritage Foundation came up with idea of a mandate in the early 1990s - to keep taxpayers from being responsible for covering the medical costs of the uninsured). I've yet to hear of an ER give treatment for routine chronic terminal condition.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM

7,490 posts, read 13,540,408 times
Question How does this work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This all makes me glad that where we live, only fee-for-service Medicare services are available. We're too rural for anything else. One less hassle and no chance (thus far) that we'll be "forced" into an Advantage (misnomer?) plan with healthcare network limitations.

I may not know much but what I do know after receiving two years of services under Medicare spanning the entire spectrum of routine office visits to emergency room visits to hospitalization to major surgery is that I have yet to be required to pay for anything out of pocket. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Regardless, I'm concerned with what potential damage will be wrought by the ACA which no one, including those administering it right now, seem to fully understand. I suppose it could work and be advantageous but the opposite could prove true as well. Decidedly a "wait and see" proposition.
Assuming you do not have a Part C Advantage plan, or a Medigap supplement, or an ex-employer retiree plan, how are you not paying Traditional Medicare's out-of-pocket deductibles and/or co-insurance ??

Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
No people with pre-existing condition are how covered by subsidized insurance under healthcare act once they are refused coverage. the catch was last year they ran out of funded money to last all year. I think if anyone watch the markup in senate and debate democrats made it clear they plan as part of new healthcare act to cut advantage cost to same as for pay for service to fund new healthcare law. Just as the plan counts on cut back in Medicare payments to providers. Just as they promise to eliminate the donut hole in Medicare part D. they also say they can provide better Medicare at lower cost in cuts. it just depends o what you believe I promise or saving. I personally think we will not see the savings as has always happen and that just the 500 billion will mean cuts in some way to services. I take them at their word on what their intent is on advantage plans to bring its cost in line with fee for service as its just a matter of letting advantage insurer deal> much of that has started to be spend already in subsidized pre-existing coverage and not doing it mean huge hole I funding the healthcare bill.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
Even now it is possible to get a sense of what O-care will do. For the past 2 - 3 years the insurance companies have been doing things like updating their coverage vs code tables to conform with HHS directives. Your insurer's web site likely has a link to these docs.

In a nut shell, the redistribution goes something like this.

Take from things like 100% coverage of some of the more proactive labs, raise minimum ages, etc, etc.

Give to new mandated coverage areas such as well Woman, STD screening, etc.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I haven't seen anything about Rubio's comments in any news source on the www. Anybody have a link to the suggestion Sen. Rubio has raised this issue, or that it's an issue? Thanks.
Can't help you there. I didn't read it on the web or see a video so I could give you a link. I was watching TV - Cavuto (the business news guy at 4PM) and Rubio. He said there will be letters that go out and he did say that there is some kind of gag order on the Insurance companies right now from telling you in advance but don't take it to be nefarious. It could just be that some processes haven't been finalized and they want everyone to get the right information at the same time. I just looked at the Cavuto page and don't see any mention of Rubio.

I do know that in 2014 there will be a separate form that will have to be filed with the IRS but whether it's a one time thing or an every year thing I do not know.

As a person who goes to doctors frequently these days, the thought of going on Medicare instead of the nice easy way the doctor/insurance works for me now gives me the heebie-jeebies and that's without the Affordable Care Act. I feel sorry for people who will be just going on Medicare in 2014. I think it's going to be messy.

Thanks everybody for your advice/input.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,476,638 times
Thanks for the link. What it shows is Sen. Rubio re-stating his opposition to the ACA which Congress approved and suggesting we amend the U.S. Constitution to derail it. If you don't first succeed, try, try again. That's what it is. He mentions, in passing, unsubstantiated commens about Medicare Advantage. Scare tactics. Nothing new from him in that regard, IMO. Time will indeed tell what will happen. I'm not quite ready to jump off a bridge yet.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:22 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,363,195 times
Seeing as how this is the GOP, Marco Rubio, and FoxNews, all rolled into one - for the moment this is the amount of credibility I will assign to these "alarms" -

Also, I hardly use my Advantage plan as it is - not once yet this year, so far. Seriously doubt any changes made will affect me anytime soon. In the next few years I may be on a high-deductible F Medigap anyway - if they still exist. Worried not a whit about any of this.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
See post above^

It's all politics and the Republicans grasping at straws. They are so far down the toilet that they have no idea what's best for the country. I predict that they will be a non-entity in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement