Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM

257 posts, read 295,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
It's not just that many of the widowers are already taken, but there is a way larger pool of older women vs. older men.
True... look at the census stats. Here are some demographics from a 2010 mag article:
<10 Best Places for Single Seniors to Retire - US News and World Report>
Pittsfield, Mass.
Percent of the over-55 population that is single: 52.4 percent
Single women: 14,237
Single men: 7,869

Florence, S.C.
Percent of the over-55 population that is single: 49.1 percent
Single women: 18,409
Single men: 7,516

Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, N.J.
Percent of the over-55 population that is single: 47.3 percent
Single women: 11,285
Single men: 6,044

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, Fla.
Percent of the over-55 population that is single: 46.9 percent
Single women: 474,305
Single men: 224,768

Eureka-Arcata-Fortuna, Calif.
Percent of the over-55 population that is single: 46.3 percent
Single women: 9,778
Single men: 6,304
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 PM

257 posts, read 295,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Humans pretty much practice the same behavior of the nonhuman animal world, with jealousies, protecting territories, counter-aggression, guarding their mates etc. I see nothing abnormal in that, from a biological point of view. We may want to believe we can rise above our more base animal instincts, but....
Unless we are elk, or Fundamentalist Mormons that believe in plurality.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I don't think of myself as "single." Nor do I think of couples as "doubled."
I always figured I'd end up "single/alone." Just thought I'd have, well, a more colorful past, that is, a past after age 35 or so.
I'd much rather be alone than be "stuck" with someone I didn't really really like. Of course I'd prefer great company to no company, but being without company certainly feels normal after all these years. On my recent solo vacation, I only felt the slight wince of aloneness on "dance night" at a guest ranch, seeing some couples dancing and having an eye on a young boy who could be my grandson or something. Oh, those cowboys!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
newenglandgirl, I do not see that what you say in your post #129 has anything to do with what I said at my post #120 which you highlight. I think maybe you do not understand what I was referring to at my post #120.

(or you could explain how they relate in your mind, if you feel like it; if not, okay, but I don't think you are interpreting correctly what I said and meant at #120, but that's okay too as I think my post speaks for itself if one reads the preceding posts)

This thread was dormant for a good while and probably with good reason; I don't see much reason to prolong this thread, but there aare, of course, always things left unsaid in any thread.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-24-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 08:14 PM

164 posts, read 652,834 times
CLARK PARK,

I use to live in Philly . The northeast and South Philly around 5 and South Small world now in FL .

Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
I was chatting with a group of male friends. I saw one interesting thing. Those that had seen a wife through an extended illness (mainly cancer) resulting in her death are very, very hesitant to get deeply involved with another women. They say they never want to go thru the emotional and physical turmoil again.

They were not complaining. It was simply I did that for her as she was the major part/love of my life. I will not and cannot do it for anyone again.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I was chatting with a group of male friends. I saw one interesting thing. Those that had seen a wife through an extended illness (mainly cancer) resulting in her death are very, very hesitant to get deeply involved with another women. They say they never want to go thru the emotional and physical turmoil again.

They were not complaining. It was simply I did that for her as she was the major part/love of my life. I will not and cannot do it for anyone again.

I feel the same way. I don't want to take care of anyone. The other side of the coin is that I fear even more becoming ill myself and being the dependent one.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Actually my friends and I, while half in the bag, decided we would marry a nurse with a purse......LOL

Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Chiming in here. I have just been contacted by a man I dated (I can't believe this but he said it) 50 years ago. We told each other of our lives.

He got married and has two grown kids and his wife died of cancer 10 years ago. His situation now is that he's gotten together with a woman he knew from work and they have a friendship. It seems to work for both of them as he says he's too old (72) to want to get married again--but he did not mention anything about how he had to care for his wife who had cancer--he just feels too old to get married.

She's younger and seems to have had a really sad life and never wants to get married either so they have a friendship. He takes care of her dog, they watch movies together and go for walks. They are there for each other.

She had contacted him right after his wife died offering to help. So what I'm thinking is that there can be value in looking up someone you used to know and seeing how they are. Maybe they are available for friendship or a monogamous relationship that will never morph into anything else.

This guy found my phone number online and had to pay to get it. I'm glad he did as I enjoyed talking to him and I'm pleased that he is doing well.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Chiming in here. I have just been contacted by a man I dated (I can't believe this but he said it) 50 years ago. We told each other of our lives.

He got married and has two grown kids and his wife died of cancer 10 years ago. His situation now is that he's gotten together with a woman he knew from work and they have a friendship. It seems to work for both of them as he says he's too old (72) to want to get married again--but he did not mention anything about how he had to care for his wife who had cancer--he just feels too old to get married.

She's younger and seems to have had a really sad life and never wants to get married either so they have a friendship. He takes care of her dog, they watch movies together and go for walks. They are there for each other.

She had contacted him right after his wife died offering to help. So what I'm thinking is that there can be value in looking up someone you used to know and seeing how they are. Maybe they are available for friendship or a monogamous relationship that will never morph into anything else.

This guy found my phone number online and had to pay to get it. I'm glad he did as I enjoyed talking to him and I'm pleased that he is doing well.
It can be fun. About six years ago I stumbled across my old college sweetheart I hadn't seen or spoken to for 47 years. She disappeared on me when I entered the military. I'd tried to find her at various stages of my life (returning from overseas in 1969, in 1996, a couple of years after divorce, etc. but never connected. I stumbled into her online quite by accident and we've spoken a couple of times and email occasionally. It's been a real eye opener. At one time I was convinced we'd get married after I was commissioned in the military. Didn't happen. Now I know that was a good thing. It never would have worked. Not the only bullet I dodged in the 60s but a major one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement