Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,621,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think that is great. You have greatly simplified your life and are happy. May I ask
K if you have always dressed this way or is this a choice you made as you got older?
How should a 62 year old dress? Any way they choose as long as they have clothes on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,678,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
How should a 62 year old dress? Any way they choose as long as they have clothes on!
Oh, you beat me to it! LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I had been resisting saying that FOR DAYS -- and this morning -- SA that I am -- I decided to say it! And you beat me! LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

On a more serious note -- I don't know how to dress at 64. I can't wear young things anymore, and I'm not ready for old ladies' clothes either (and none of us are until we're 85 ). So I just dress kinda 'classically'. In other words, rather boring. And you know, we can't go wrong, because that 'look' is good for everyone. But, yeah, it can be pretty boring.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,254,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Look away, then...look away!
Hard to do sometimes.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,917,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Does anyone know exactly what "smart casual" means as a restaurant dress code?
Smart casual is a step up from business casual and not as formal as business. You can search it if you want. It is not dressing in expensively and is dressing as if you belong. As someone noted the restaurant is probably not going to be cheap nor does it need to be expensive. If you r not worried about dressings with style and a sense of financial well being when shopping or dining it is probably not your look. Not you but the generic you. From reading the various post in this thread some would and some wouldn't. It is probably more of a challenge when retired and not buying office clothes if you ever did.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,748,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Hard to do sometimes.
You know, we've been out of high school for a LONG time now and it's time we started behaving like adults.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:18 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,843,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You know, we've been out of high school for a LONG time now and it's time we started behaving like adults.
Please explain in what way poster BucFan is not behaving like an adult.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,200,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Smart casual is a step up from business casual and not as formal as business. You can search it if you want. It is not dressing in expensively and is dressing as if you belong. As someone noted the restaurant is probably not going to be cheap nor does it need to be expensive. If you r not worried about dressings with style and a sense of financial well being when shopping or dining it is probably not your look. Not you but the generic you. From reading the various post in this thread some would and some wouldn't. It is probably more of a challenge when retired and not buying office clothes if you ever did.
I am retired (although still under 60 - barely) and we live in a rural area with some acreage. I don't really find the need to dress up anymore. Most folks don't, around here. Even before we retired, we had our own business and I dealt with contractors, plumbers etc. No need to dress up then. Been happily married for 27 years and he is more casual than me. LOL
So "smart casual"....I can wear some cotton capri pants with a nice blouse and sandals (not flip-flops)? Summer in the desert. Dinner @ 5:00. ???

Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,322,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post

Yeah, you would think. Seems like such a ridiculous question.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,917,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I am retired (although still under 60 - barely) and we live in a rural area with some acreage. I don't really find the need to dress up anymore. Most folks don't, around here. Even before we retired, we had our own business and I dealt with contractors, plumbers etc. No need to dress up then. Been happily married for 27 years and he is more casual than me. LOL
So "smart casual"....I can wear some cotton capri pants with a nice blouse and sandals (not flip-flops)? Summer in the desert. Dinner @ 5:00. ???
Probably no restaurants on your area that are smart casual

Old 06-13-2013, 05:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,200,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Probably no restaurants on your area that are smart casual
None....but we're going to Palm Desert/Palm Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement