Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,081 times

Advertisements

I wear the same styles of clothing as I did three decades ago. Same classic styles (classic, not dated), same fit, same cut, same high quality and natural fabrics (I'm truly allergic to synthetic materials). It was appropriate and stylish when I was 30, it's appropriate and stylish now that I'm 60, and I'm certain it'll be appropriate and stylish when I turn 70. The only thing different is the heels of my shoes, they're much lower now than they were then.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 06-10-2013 at 04:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
I agree with the natural fabrics and classic styles. Of course if you're the artsy type, go with the boho style if it suits you. i think, for most people, a nice blazer that fits and is good quality will take you a long way.

You don't need a lot of different clothes but you need quality. I've always been clothing challenged but it's getting easier as I get older. i stick more with the classics and don't fuss around so much with jewelry--a few good pieces. Lower heeled shoes. No short shorts, but Bermudas work fine. Simple cotton skirts, T shirts and sandals in summer.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
So that if somebody starts looking me over from the shoes up or back to front they don't do this when they get to my face.
As someone up-thread mentioned just because whatever still looks OK on the body it needs to be at least a little compatible with saggy jowls and wrinkles.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
How should a 62 year old dress?
Scantily. Let it all hang out.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Dada Bing

Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Nattily, of course!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
This is basically a thread for women, but I'll chime in anyway. It seems to me the issue of how to dress is simpler for men than for women, and I'm glad that's the case. I dress how I always dressed. It's so simple (for me).

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times
Would you like a guy's opinion ?
This actually goes for all ages ,
Wear clothes that fit you loosely enough to reduce definition , particularly the view from behind.
I know it shouldn't bother me, knowing women wear bras, but the fact of the matter is, some of the women I observe wear underware and clothing so tight, it amplifies the tightness/over weight through out .
Face it , some women do not have a ferm well rounded bottom,but they wear bikini panties that amplify the fat where full panties would provide a much better picture.
If your a girl that works out and has a good ferm bottom then by all means thong or french cut panties don't create the extra lines .
I don't think the bikini style do any one favors, from my point of view.
It doesn't matter wether you are wearing a dress or slax these extra lines are not on your side.
I don't know if any of you look at the over hang from behind out of tight clothing sleveless tops but I do .
Flame me all you wish , it's just my observation.
I realize that one may not be able to do something right away about the weight ,but wearing clothing that is simply too tight only means your getting fatter not actually doing any thing about it.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The effects of gravity with some well endowed women might mean things are 'hanging out' below where you would expect or want them to.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
...My sister who is well over 50 dropped by and she is a person who always took care of herself as far as being in shape and weight...BUT when she puts on a skimpy dress - she looks pretty good except for the fact that it looks like an old ladies head stuck on a younger body...

I had to laugh because I've seen my share of women who like Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane when they turn around. Trying to look the same as you did decades earlier doesn't cut it.
Also, women of a certain age should really be aware of the "ick factor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement