Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,021,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Now that you are retired and have more time, is exercise a part of your daily routine? What works for you?
Have never liked to exercise, and never will However, knowing that it is necessary, 'walking' is my preferred choice and get out and walk at least a mile every other day. That's enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,308,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Now that you are retired and have more time, is exercise a part of your daily routine? What works for you?
I walk the dogs about 3 miles everyday. I feel better because of it so I make it a point to do it.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM

6,954 posts, read 12,023,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
well, i turned 66 today and, as i seem to do as my birthday nears, began looking at myself a little more closely in the mirror and became uncomfortably aware that my pants are not slowly shrinking as i had first decided. So tomarrow i must change my ways. Lord help me!
happy birthday !!!

Last edited by AZgarden; 06-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: did it wrong

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,021,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I'm 63, I walk 3 to 4 miles each day. I don't go to a health club though we have one here that our HOA fees cover because I always seem to pull or sprain something not to mention I seem to pick up bugs and colds from the sweaty palms that have gone before me. Happy with my nature walks.
I feel the same way about gyms and those are the same reasons I quit going.

You are so lucky to have 12/365 that you can walk in nice weather; I'm guessing you live on the west coast (SoCal) to have good weather all year long to walk.

I live in the Heartland and in the summertime when it's over 90 with high humidity, and/or during the winter months when the walk paths are covered in snow/ice, and frigid temps, it means I'm not able to get out and walk as much, so I do the indoor walking that I learned from the Leslie Sansone videos.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 PM

419 posts, read 655,578 times
I agree with the Health clubs. Belonged to one for awhile and all those young ins sweating and having to wipe off equipment just to feel good about touching anything. And the equipment. Gosh lots of them just take it over and stand around waiting is not my idea of fun. When hubby retires and we can do it together might look into Silver sneakers. Until then, I need to get back into walking. One of the reasons I hate living here now. If we are lucky the sun comes out at 2:00 pm. Who wants to start then. I am a morning person. Maybe that's just an excuse on my part but I just cannot get motivated. And really who wants to walk around on the inside of a mall all the time. I want nature. Four more years until hubby retired. Me I have been retired for 11 years now - OMG.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
2000 yards swimming three times (MWF) a week at lunch (I still work), outdoors, all year round
Full court basketball T and Th for an hour at lunch

Yardwork and home chorse around the house on weekends.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,015,993 times
Right now we're doing an 8-mile walk 2-3 times a week (whenever we happen to wake up early). We'll see how long that lasts, but so far we've done it for 3-4 weeks. On those days when we sleep in we tend to do just a few miles. (We find we do our most energetic walks very early in the morning. If the weather's bad or we don't get going before 9 a.m. we'll hit the gym.)

I have my tai chi classes, of course, and now that it's summer we're going kayaking a few times a week. Although I'm not really sure my form of kayaking should be considered exercise since we only paddle vigorously in a few spots--most of the time we're looking for birds or going at a leisurely sightseeing pace.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM

419 posts, read 655,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Right now we're doing an 8-mile walk 2-3 times a week (whenever we happen to wake up early). We'll see how long that lasts, but so far we've done it for 3-4 weeks. On those days when we sleep in we tend to do just a few miles. (We find we do our most energetic walks very early in the morning. If the weather's bad or we don't get going before 9 a.m. we'll hit the gym.)

I have my tai chi classes, of course, and now that it's summer we're going kayaking a few times a week. Although I'm not really sure my form of kayaking should be considered exercise since we only paddle vigorously in a few spots--most of the time we're looking for birds or going at a leisurely sightseeing pace.

wow 8 mile walks. good for you. you are an inspiration - now if I can just get motivated. I love to walk but in a funk these days. These long grey days in the PNW are finally getting to me. I am a morning person but here we are lucky to have the sun out at noon or later (if at all). I would be so much more motivated in a different climate. Working on that.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,015,993 times
^^This coffee house we like is four miles, so it's really more like two four mile hikes with a long break in between. Plus since we love going there it gives us a goal and a reward.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,023,860 times
A reward for exercising is very important. Something to look forward to.
In my case, its a chocolate chip cookie !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement