Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

Love this thread! Thank you for sharing the day's events!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
I decided that for every week I do more exercise than the week before (even it it's by a minute) I'd treat myself to something special. It used to be food ("I deserve a brownie" day). Tonight (okay, so it hasn't been a week) we went to see HD Live at the Met—for those into opera, a fabulous production of Verdi's Il Trovatore

Il Trovatore: TV Spot - The Metropolitan Opera - Watch and Listen

Other kinds of treats will be a purchase of a CD, DVD, fashionable piece of clothing, earrings, hardcover book, Tanglewood tix, etc — anything but food!!

A friend of mine got herself to exercise more by buying a chic piece of clothing two sizes smaller than what she was, and hanging it in view so she saw it each day. Dang if she didn't do it! And it was mostly by exercising, not so much dieting.

MJ, what is Marilyn's screen name going to be? How about "Marilyn"—? Do we have to weigh in with our true weight and height for her to coach us?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I decided that for every week I do more exercise than the week before (even it it's by a minute) I'd treat myself to something special. It used to be food ("I deserve a brownie" day). Tonight (okay, so it hasn't been a week) we went to see HD Live at the Met—for those into opera, a fabulous production of Verdi's Il Trovatore

Il Trovatore: TV Spot - The Metropolitan Opera - Watch and Listen

Other kinds of treats will be a purchase of a CD, DVD, fashionable piece of clothing, earrings, hardcover book, Tanglewood tix, etc — anything but food!!

A friend of mine got herself to exercise more by buying a chic piece of clothing two sizes smaller than what she was, and hanging it in view so she saw it each day. Dang if she didn't do it! And it was mostly by exercising, not so much dieting.

MJ, what is Marilyn's screen name going to be? How about "Marilyn"—? Do we have to weigh in with our true weight and height for her to coach us?
NEG, that's an excellent idea about rewarding yourself with something nice and not food. That would really give you something to look forward to and it's the kind of reward that is better for you than extra food. If you buy yourself new things will you include photos? I love to look at pictures and I bet others do too. Even a simple pair of earrings to ooooh and aaaaah over.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 AM

106,630 posts, read 108,773,903 times
we have a very interesting eating plan. it is quite popular in the gym circuits and it is called the zig zag diet.

thanksgiving can be a real calorie fest approching 7 or 8,000 calories. by right we should weigh 2 lbs more but in reality we do not.

the reason is our bodies are not used to dealing with such amounts so we can not break them all down.

well the zig zag diet lets your body never get use to dealing with a steady amount of calories.

5 days a week we eat normally but healthy. 2 days a week anything and everything goes.

marilyn and i had gone to a famous bakery by us. we are walking down the main drag eating these big eclairs and we run into a group of women from the gym.

they are like omg you go to the gym and eat like this?

i am like , no we go to the gym so we can eat like this.....

needless to say marilyn eats about 1/3 of it and i end up finishing hers and mine. she has such will power . not me, i always end up eating mine and hers.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:33 AM

as far as what we do in life ,when we are not with the grandkids we are both very avid photographers. lately we have gotten into macro photography doing bugs and flowers. all our free time is devoted to going places to photograph.

we both have developed styles so similiar we do not even know who took what anymore by looking at it.

i tend to use more saturated colors at times but not always .

here is some of our recent work. we love getting inside the flowers and getting those flower guts.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
NEG, that's an excellent idea about rewarding yourself with something nice and not food. That would really give you something to look forward to and it's the kind of reward that is better for you than extra food. If you buy yourself new things will you include photos? I love to look at pictures and I bet others do too. Even a simple pair of earrings to ooooh and aaaaah over.
I've spent most of my life purchasing things for family so it's a bigger deal for someone like me to deliberately go out and buy something for myself that is really not needed but just wanted. I think Friday will be my day to do that. I have my eye on a print of Matisse's "The Dream" from the Met Museum exhibit I went to ("In Search of True Painting") that I plan to order for my next treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Everyday Life in Retirement, Photos & Exercise Journal-images.jpeg  

Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Well, we have some really artsy people on here. Mathjak, your pictures are wonderful! It's so intriguing to see things closeup that you usually see from afar--so much detail. Who would have thought that something like an insect or the inside of a flower could be so complicated and interesting to look at.

And, NEG, that Matisse is charming. That sounds like a perfect reward for you, an artist. Thanks for showing the photo of it, btw-- all that came to my fuzzy pre-coffee mind was The Scream (not a picture I'd want around me) but I like The Dream a lot better.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 AM

thank you.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
June 27, 2013

Exercise for Today:

My big exercise for today was 2 hours walking at moderate pace (and even faster when it started to rain... )

Also....
Tai Chi class
Dancing this afternoon
Shopping, which involves a half hour or so of walking briskly plus carrying a lot of heavy bulk items up a flight of stairs

Notes:

It's a rainy day today, but this morning it was clear, so my girl friend and I decided to hike at Lilypons. We went around the gardens and then hiked out to this little spot in my daily photo shot below. This spot was further out than we thought and right after we got there (and took the photo) it started to rain. So we hustled to get back! It was fun, though.

Spent the whole walk talking about the crazy things we did back in the 70s and the 80s. Who knew I’d be telling tales about those things all these years later. Makes me wish I had had a few more colorful adventures.

Meanwhile, speaking about things that are colorful my friends have created a disco in their basement complete with lights and colored gels. It's supposedly quite "groovy." LOL been a few years since I did something groovy so this I've got to check out. So this afternoon I'm going over there to listen to some great old tunes and dance in front of the colored lights. Sounds like a fun thing to do on a rainy day, and dancing is exercise, too. I'll post photos tomorrow and we might even do a you-tube if the effect turns out as expected and it looks good on video. LOL who would have guessed I'd spend my retirement making you tube videos?

Since it's a rainy day, today will also be about shopping. Now I know some of you "body builder" exercise enthusiasts sneer at the idea that you can get exercise shopping, but for an ordinary person like me, who's just trying to get some exercise, I think every little bit counts. When I go to the mall I park at the far end of a parking lots and I make sure to walk briskly around the whole mall, not just stroll to one store. And I try to park at the opposite end of the mall from whatever store I go to. Since it's raining, I'm driving to Costco today, which means it's time to stock up on the bulk items. Carrying all that stuff up stairs after I get home adds to my exercise for today, too.

I have tai chi class today, and later when we watch the Nats I'll probably do some stretching exercises during the commercials. If it's not raining tonight we'll do a walk down Lightning Bug Lane to cap off the day.

My Photos For Today:

And just in case you were wondering.... today is:

National Indian Pudding Day
National Orange Blossom Day
Great American Backyard Campout Day
Decide to Be Married Day
Sunglasses Day
Happy Birthday To You Song Day

A Question For Today:

It's Great American Backyard Campout Day. Have you ever camped out in your backyard? Was camping just an adventure for youth, or something you still like to do as a senior?

Last edited by Caladium; 06-27-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
Great photos Mathjack and In_New England. I'd love to see lots more photos--the artsy ones and the everyday. Also, I hope a few more people start posting what they did for exercise today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement