Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not true at all. Not a single person we met was in a second home.
Interesting, because almost everyone I know who has a place in Yuma, or Mesquite, Sun City Las Vegas, have small summer places, or Snowbird it, leaving the heat, and RV in the summer.

But, true, most people who live in the Villages stay there year round. Same with Southern Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 04:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting, because almost everyone I know who has a place in Yuma, or Mesquite, Sun City Las Vegas, have small summer places, or Snowbird it, leaving the heat, and RV in the summer.

But, true, most people who live in the Villages stay there year round. Same with Southern Florida.
The area/HOA where I live - well the average head of household is about 40 and married with kids. It's not a retirement area - and people live here 24/7/365. Robyn

Old 06-30-2013, 05:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Speaking of perfect...

What a perfectly bitchy post. Someone takes the time to write a comprehensive report about their visit to Sun City because they are contemplating living in a 55+ community and you - someone who has absolutely no interest at all in any 55+ community - just couldn't help yourself from pooping all over their thread. Did that give you some sort of perverse pleasure?
Go back and read my first four words.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Can we agree to disagree? Or not.

I prefer a small retirement home by the sea here in New England. I'll battle the winters, maybe taking a tropical break from winter, but I don't want to live in a retirement village anywhere.

Some people do like those places. We have a few around here too. I still get invitations to go and have lunch at one and get the grand tour but I know I'm not cut out for it. I was never a joiner, I am more of a solitary soul who enjoys my garden and my privacy. I can be happy simply reading a book.

None of my older relatives who had loads of money ever lived in a place like that--they preferred their own home on a regular street, usually a house or condo in Florida and their old home in New England. I guess I take after them.

No one is criticizing people who want to live in those communities. It's great for some, not so great for others.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
For anyone interested. The following link is a builder journal report on the marketing of Active 55 retirement communities. Could for some raise the question if all Del Webb communities get marketed the same especially with regard to initial online inquiries.
A New Profile of Retirement Home Buyers is Emerging - Active Adult, Marketing, Purchasing - Builder Magazine

Quote:
Investors have scattered. Baby boomers are postponing their plans for retirement. The economy remains uncertain. And real estate is no longer the sure investment bet it once was.

Quote:
Given these uncertainties, builders that market active-adult and retirement homes and communities need to have a much better handle on who their customer is and what that customer wants. Three experts on 50-plus consumers told an audience at the International Builders' Show in Orlando, Fla., on Wednesday that they are shooting at a much smaller target than before, and these consumers’ preferences aren’t as predictable as they once might have been.
Robertson breaks down the retirement market into three cohorts: budget buyers looking for a house in the $150,000 to $275,000 range; mid-market buyers shopping for homes priced between $275,000 and $650,000; and luxury buyers—representing only about 10% of prospects—looking to spend between $650,000 to $1.5 million. As a sign of the times, he points out that the luxury buyer segment spanned to $3.5 million only a few years ago.

To target retirement-home buyers, Robertson recommends that builders and developers should focus on marketing the benefits to the buyer’s lifestyle, instead of any specific feature. “[Buyers] will be looking at six to 10 communities before they buy, so get to them before they come,” he says. Interestingly, he’s found that older buyers still prefer print and direct-mail marketing instead of e- mail and social media pitches.

That pitch, though, must be tailored to specific markets and buyers, says Margaret Wylde of ProMatura Group in Oxford, Miss., a leading expert on mature home buyers.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh, you changed the question. I answered it, above, wondering your point.
Point of my post is you have your preferences and I respect that but I say one has more of a voice when one has experienced more versus defends their "hood".

Like those that can do, do it. Those that cannot do, teach it.......LOL

Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Point of my post is you have your preferences and I respect that but I say one has more of a voice when one has experienced more versus defends their "hood".

!!!

Hey! Former teachers on here probably won't agree with that last comment. We could have done other things but we preferred to help others. Good thing you put LOL --

Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
In regard to turbogP's post re: marketing. So far the attempts at marketing or communicating with us as potential buyers has been dismal. And at least in our case the speaker was wrong. We prefer email over mailings.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
In regard to turbogP's post re: marketing. So far the attempts at marketing or communicating with us as potential buyers has been dismal. And at least in our case the speaker was wrong. We prefer email over mailings.
Do you know how long they have been offering packages at your cost to visit a couple of days?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

Cannot fathom what you are saying, but you seem to like saying and believing it. I live here only for family, otherwise I would live elsewhere, so there's nothing to "defend." And nothing to teach.

As you will see from reading just the first page of this thread——//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...;—people have strong opinions about this subject. We also see, even in this quoted thread, that those who cannot handle an alternate opinion as usual jump all over them.

This is a forum, not a club of agreeing members, so everyone’s post is just an opinion. It's not even a debate. It's just personal opinions. No need to get ruffled about opinions. They are subjective and no objective end-all conclusion can be drawn about these communtiies or any other option we might have at our disposal.

That said, reports are always appreciated, and I erred in not showing my appreciation to Tek for his detailed and thoughtul report.

Widely differing opinions and strong reactions on senior housing point up the fact that boomers are not just one generic blob of humanity with the same tastes and needs. We are as different as retirees as there are members and tastes of any species.

At any rate, I was not commenting on the community, its people or its activities, just what the architecture and units and grounds look like, that style. That's it. No one is condemning Del Webb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement