Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,321,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting, because almost everyone I know who has a place in Yuma, or Mesquite, Sun City Las Vegas, have small summer places, or Snowbird it, leaving the heat, and RV in the summer.

But, true, most people who live in the Villages stay there year round. Same with Southern Florida.
Sorry, I have to disagree with the point about Southern Florida. When I lived there, many people spent summer months in the North Carolina mountains or up north visiting family. I don't know if they owned a place or just rented. Personally, I never minded the summer--good time to take my umbrella and go to the beach. Lots of sunscreen #50 and a hat.

I hope this thread doesn't become testy. I'm not saying anything at all negative and people seem to be taking it that way. Tek wrote a wonderful report and I was merely adding the comment of a good time to visit. I have retired friends who DO take naps every day! I've toured a lot of 55+ and done a lot of research. I had some background info to offer, that's all...

Last edited by staywarm2; 06-30-2013 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,908,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I have. That doesn't change the bitchiness of the post at all. There's no other explanation for telling someone who is considering living in a 55+ community that you'd basically rather be dead than live in such a community. Why post your ascerbic comment to someone who wasn't seeking the opinion of others? The answer is obvious: The sole purpose of such a comment is to belittle anyone who would consider living in an environment that you consider depressing, sterile and uninteresting.

Oh, btw, please don't take offense at anything I've said. After all, it's just my own personal response to your post.

That makes it all acceptable, right?
You are entitled to your personal opinion. As we all are. The purpose of the forum is for people to post their viewpoints, whether popular or not. There are many who have said they wouldn't be caught dead in New England. So what? Why would I take offense at that?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,623,748 times
One of the real questions is does one want a mild climate the year round? If so, they are going to have put up with a few hot humid months as year round mild comes with that price.. I myself prefer putting up with that then putting up with cold and snow 4 -5 months a year for few enjoyable months. I would not live anywhere that has a cold/snowy winter.

Regarding the heat and humidity. This is a retirement chat so one can assume most are retired thus not working out in the heat/humidity and are living in an air conditioned world. Get over the heat and humidity issues, they are a minor inconvenience for awesome year round weather.

SC women do not sweat......they glisten.....

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree with the point about Southern Florida. When I lived there, many people spent summer months in the North Carolina mountains or up north visiting family. I don't know if they owned a place or just rented. Personally, I never minded the summer--good time to take my umbrella and go to the beach. Lots of sunscreen #50 and a hat.

I hope this thread doesn't become testy. I'm not saying anything at all negative and people seem to be taking it that way. Tek wrote a wonderful report and I was merely adding the comment of a good time to visit. I have retired friends who DO take naps every day! I've toured a lot of 55+ and done a lot of research. I had some background info to offer, that's all...
And you have conclusions we would all like to have the advantage of hearing about?

And threads becoming testy is pretty much par and I've apparently gotten mellow in my old age, or the hydrocodone I'm taking has me the same. Meh, it happens. Adds a little spice.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,985,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
One of the real questions is does one want a mild climate the year round? If so, they are going to have put up with a few hot humid months as year round mild comes with that price.. I myself prefer putting up with that then putting up with cold and snow 4 -5 months a year for few enjoyable months. I would not live anywhere that has a cold/snowy winter.

Regarding the heat and humidity. This is a retirement chat so one can assume most are retired thus not working out in the heat/humidity and are living in an air conditioned world. Get over the heat and humidity issues, they are a minor inconvenience for awesome year round weather.

SC women do not sweat......they glisten.....

OK . so what are "the vapors"?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,461,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
[/b]

OK . so what are "the vapors"?
That's what they take when they faint from the heat.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,393,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
...Why we never got a response from a phone call or a request on their site regarding Nocatee, FL (Ponte Vedra SS) is still a mystery...
We live about 12 miles from there - and I would avoid the area if I were an older person. Perhaps it will be built out in 20 years - but it's still kind of in its infancy now (Nocatee development has been delayed a lot due to the building bust). Robyn

Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
We took a look anyway since we were in the area - we flew into Sanford - and we were quoted $337K for a house and lot that was worth maybe $270K. And they did a fine job of flattening the entire area before building. Not impressed. And there was no one - and I mean no one, there. This was mid morning on a fairly cool day and you'd think some would be out and about, at least in the swimming pools. One Person in a pool doesn't say much for the number of people who have actually bought there.

It was fascinating to see all the sold signs on empty lots. A sure way to make everyone think they'd better get in while there are still some left. Yeah, right.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,682,592 times
Beware of the flood zones.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,393,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
...And they did a fine job of flattening the entire area before building...
I think that area (and a lot of the coastal SE) is pretty flat to start with - no need to flatten it . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement