Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important a factor is age in choosing your friends? (Friends=people to socialize with, not datin
Prefer to socialize with people in my own age group. 0 0%
Have friends (or can easily imagine having friends) who are ten or more years older or younger than me. 25 71.43%
Have friends who are ten or more years older or younger but think I'm unusual (think most people my age prefer friends their own age). 5 14.29%
Ten years younger or older would be ok, but more than that would definitely be too much of a gap. 1 2.86%
Wouldn't mind ten or more years younger, but not interested in having friends who are much older than me. 3 8.57%
Wouldn't mind ten or more years older, but not interested in having friends who are much younger than me. 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post

On the other hand, I wonder whether some of the smaller, older communities with few activities will stay as viable for my lifetime as they've been for the last few decades, and one way of helping them to would be introducing activities that would appeal to younger residents (maybe a Boomers club, etc.).
Absolutely agree--but IMO, you'll make more friends if you go slowly. In other words, wait to suggest those changes until after you've been there a few months and already have a circle of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
I'm 59 and have friends whose ages span 40+ years. I do find it a little harder to click with women in their 70s and up who never went to college or had careers. As much as I like such friends based on their personalities, we just have a very narrow overlap of interests, usually birding, hiking, gardening, etc. I value their friendship, but I just feel more invigorated when I interact with friends my age or younger. Even though my son is grown now, I enjoy watching my younger friends raise and talk about their children, whose lives are much more dynamic and changeable than grown kids like mine and my older friends'.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I am pretty much comfortable with any age group.
I relate really well with older people; I just seem to
be around them more.
I play in bands where the average age is 70.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I do not select friends by age. Not at all.

My friends are people from whom I can lean, laugh with, and have things in common.

Those people are many ages.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:59 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i teach two courses for two very different life long learning institutions and in both classes are several people who live in 55+ communities. one of the courses i taught was focused on student generated topics of concern, interest, and consideration for people over 50 , as they plan for their years as an aging adult. one of the discussions was on age compatibility in 55+ communities as well as ccrcs. the 55+ people felt that such communities have unique personalities, and consequently some may attract a more specific age group or attract people from the local area as opposed to people from a wider geographic base. i do think that the newer the community the nucleus of buyers will be "younger" as opposed to 55+ communities that are more established and residents bought there when younger but have continued to stay there as they've aged. the ccrc people seemed to feel that even though age-wise they ( late 60's, early 70's ) were in the minority they have felt welcomed and embraced within their community and have never felt out of place because of age.

personally, i have never felt that because i lived in a 55+ community, being with others in the same age range would mean that i'd have things in common except age. i do not have children, grandchildren, do not enjoy bridge, crafts, recreational shopping, to name a few things that seem to be points of commonality at many 55+ communities. so, i've never been convinced that this kind of community would be for me. i prefer, at least for the immediate future , to take my chances in a more varied community setting, where there are families, couples, singles, and retired. the friends i've made in the town where i live i've met primarily through interest groups- book groups, writing groups, and being a part of the life-long learning programs.

catsy girl
The courses you teach sound very interesting!

It makes sense that some communities might appeal more to certain age groups. But I'm glad that in the communities that did consist of both the younger and the older age group, your students reported good experiences as far as everyone feeling comfortable.

I'm also finding (as you mentioned) that the communities have their individual personalities. It's another important thing to consider (along with all the other considerations--there are definitely many more variables than in looking for a single-family house that's not in a community).

When I look for points of commonality, which for me, too, would mean some activities beyond the standard ones you mentioned, I always look at whether they have a book club and then, if they do, if they're reading a book that appeals to me enough that I'd read it even if it weren't the assigned book in my book club. I'm finding there are some. Also, there are places like Kings Point, Sun City Center, that are huge and so can offer activities for a lot of more specific interests, where I can see that I'd share interests with people.

But of course these are fewer and farther between, so for me that would mean relocating in order to move to that particular senior community, even if the larger community is not one that I'd otherwise have a reason to relocate to--not sure yet if I want to do that. I like where I live now a lot--great libraries, a lot of interesting activities and events (that I mostly don't have time for now but that are available), and beautiful beaches. Also really friendly, nice people. For example, tonight I was in the grocery store and when the clerk asked me if I had a penny because it was $29.01, I checked my pockets and said something like "No, didn't bring any change with me...so () looks like I'll be carrying home a bunch of change tonight." She handed me my change--all bills, no coins. I thought at first she just wasn't charging me the penny, but it turned out the woman behind me, without saying a word, had paid the penny for me! That kind of thing happens here all the time!

So I'm not in a hurry to rush off anywhere else (not to say other places aren't nice too, just that this is a place I know well, and know is good). I think I'm a fairly nice person, but I feel very fortunate to live in a place where I find out I still have things to learn from people who are teaching by example.

I may end up giving up having shared specialized interests/activities with others in my condo/homeowners community for the sake of having the things available in the larger community if I stay in this area, we'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement