Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times

Advertisements

According to this ( http://www.suicidology.org/associations/1045/files/2004statedatapgv1.pdf (broken link) ) the top ten states in suicide rate are:
1. Alaska
2 (tie). Montana
2 (tie). Nevada
4. New Mexico
5. Wyoming
6. Colorado
7. Idaho
8. West Virginia
9. Utah
10. Oregon
11. Arizona
12.Vermont
13. South Dakota
14. Oklahoma
15. Florida
16 (tie). Kansas
17 (tie). Kentucky
18 (tie). Tennessee
18 (tie).Washington
20. Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Here in Alaska there's a great deal of folks that suffer from cabin fever, they don't do anything in the winter time except wait for spring to hit. Winter can be extremely miserable if you don't have somebody to spend it with. My husband and I try to leave at least for a week in the winter months to break it up, my son is very active with motor sports in the winter months so he looks forward to winter. My daughter doesn't like winter so she gets a bit depressed, a great deal of folks turn to alcohol or drugs and that doesn't fix anything.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
That's an interesting list. Alaska as #1 is not surprising. It does look like the other states are mostly western ones. All the top 10 except for WV are western states. WA and OR with the famous gloom are not all that high. Perhaps SAD sufferers are not suicidal.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Over the course of a year, Seattle gets about the same amount of precipation as Virginia Beach. However, Virginia Beach doesn't have a truly dry season, so it can rain any given day of the year. During the summer of 1980 when I was living in Seattle, I don't remember a drop of rain falling in June, July, and August. The summer was delightful...lots of sun without the east coast humidity. On the other hand, I hated every summer I spent in Virginia Beach...lots of humidity with yucky 75 degree overnite lows, and many heavy downpours that would cause minor flooding in less than an hour. Winter in Va Bch was perhaps slightly more pleasant than winter in Seattle, but only slightly becasue the temperatures are slightly warmer. When it come to grayness, however, it was just as gray as Seattle.

blessings....Franco

Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I got a kick out of your experience with Virginia Beach. I wish those days would return!

Back in 1999, my husband was being transferred and we thought we were going to Seattle. I was thrilled--I really like overcast, cool rainy weather. I think I must have been an azalea in a former life. Then at the last minute the company sent us to the other Washington... not beautiful Washington state but Washington D.C.

I thought "no big deal... according to the atlas Virginia and Seattle get the same amount of rain each year." Well, maybe that was true the first year we lived here. This year we have a drought and watering restrictions. So much for statistics...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I think the statistics are calculated on average precipation over long periods of times. Over the years there are going to be fluctuations on both sides of the norm. I will say that during most of the 16 years I lived in Va Bch...it seemed pretty darn wet to me, and the humidity was extremely uncomfortable every year. DC is not quite so bad with the humidity becasue it is away from the coast, and the summer nights are usually a few degrees cooler than they are along the coast. But DC is bad enough in it's own right. I'd never want to live there.

blessings.....Franco

Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I spent 18 months a bit South of Virginia Beach, stationed at Damn Neck near the great dismal swamp, in 1977 and 1978.

I found the humidity to be high and uncomfortable.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I assume you were talking about suicide rates in the elderly since this is a retirement forum. I considered Oregon and Washington as part of the Great Northwest when I was talking about suicide rates in the elderly... my source is here...

NPR : Oregon Combats High Suicide Rates Among Elderly

Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I spent 18 months a bit South of Virginia Beach, stationed at Damn Neck near the great dismal swamp, in 1977 and 1978.

I found the humidity to be high and uncomfortable.
The precipitation normals are over a 30 year period and they are statistical normals which most people know as an average. In practice, that means a third of the time you'll see less rain, a third more rain and a third will be about "normal." It goes a few years before they crunch all the numbers and recalculate the normals.

Global warming may change all that. It seems like in the last decade, DC has seen drier summers and warmer winters. The summer jet is lower on the continent so there's been more northern air that is drier and fewer days with the notorious "Bermuda High" that sucks moist hot Atlantic air in. Va. Beach is quite a bit south of there so they probably see more humidity.

The Pac. NW has mostly dry summers due to the standing high pressure ridge over the west coast. They get a more or less equal amt of rain but in fewer months and more drizzly days. The east coast gets most if its summer rain in thunderstorms and the occasional hurricane. If you looked at the monthly averages, you would see a distinctly different pattern of rainfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement