Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM

437 posts, read 649,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, everyone is wondering why you bothered to post in this thread.
Fell off my couch!!! LOL

And seriously, if the HA is only making things more uncomfortable, it's usually because the HA is wrong for the hearing loss you have, or the program it's set to is wrong.

Because Meniere's is about FLUCTUATING hearing loss, I am one of those who will have my index finger behind my left ear, ready to turn 'em up or down, depending on where I am. And mine are super duper in that when I have someone speaking to me, if I'm actually FACING them, that's what the HA's pick up, leaving the ambient noise at a very low level.

Keep in mind too, that the brain has to become used to this new way of hearing. Those who put their HA's on their truck dashboard are missing out. I know. I used to do the same. No truck, just kept 'em in a drawer, sight unseen.

Once I started wearing them during my waking hours, my brain started to realize it didn't need to hear "this, that or the other", and it focused on what I wanted to hear. Yes, the brain is that smart, even if you aren't.

And one last bit, as I pick myself up off the floor, *thanks Freek*, my HA's are so itty bitty, behind my ear, and the clear piece of tubing that fits into my ear canal is not visible, unless you're looking right at my ear and know what you're looking for. No vanity there! You can get an HA that is almost invisible, and no one has to know you're plugged in.

Thanks for "listening". I love saying that.............

bullie~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
My father (RIP) had bad hearing. Tried a hearing aid for a while and complained he heard noises he hadn't heard in years and didn't miss, considered them an annoyance.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
My father (RIP) had bad hearing. Tried a hearing aid for a while and complained he heard noises he hadn't heard in years and didn't miss, considered them an annoyance.
And that is why the new HA's are worth looking into. They will help train the brain to hear important things, they'll have controls and programs set for the individual, and if they're STILL unhappy with the sounds being piped in, then maybe they need to get a divorce. BWAH!!!

JUST KIDDING... *humor*

No disrespect to your deceased father..... I only want to point out that the hardest thing about selling an HA is getting people to BUY 'em. So many are like your father and so many who have lost hearing. The stubbornness factor is at a bazillion degrees, and getting past the stigmas and the fact that "they need help", is ROUGH. At 51, I still get angry at times that I have to wear 'em. And then I remind myself I could be going blind, instead of deaf, and I shuttie uppie, fast.

I'm so glad I got over myself, and my Irish Taurean bullheaded way of thinking, and kept 'em in long enough for my brain to work with me, instead of against me. And as I say that, I know that the older some get, the harder it is for them to accept anything new. "Do NOT teach me how to use the internet, I'm FINE with sending a postcard to Agnes!".... yeah. I get it. And what a shame. I hope I've learned a thing or seven about giving up and letting go, by the time I think I know it all.

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
My husband's audiologist told him that hearing loss gets worse over time if unaided. Oh, need I say that she is hard of hearing herself?

My son had a hearing loss as a child and wore hearing aids. He learned to lip read. When he had surgery jell in the Eustachian tubes was removed. By the time he reached his mid-20s his Eustachian tubes had grown enough to not become obstructed and he has normal hearing. He still uses his lip reading skills when wearing hearing protection in noisy environments.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
My husband's audiologist told him that hearing loss gets worse over time if unaided. Oh, need I say that she is hard of hearing herself?
Uh.... umm..... err...... HOW would one lose more hearing if they refuse to get an HA? I'm not asking YOU, Nell Plotts, only putting it out there for discussion.

I'll tell you WHAT, my hearing is WORSE when I take my aids out, after being worn all day long. May not be actual hearing loss, but I can't hear things at the end of the day, that I could, in the morning. Again, the brain does "stuff" we don't understand... or at least, "stuff" I don't understand. Hence the word "stuff".

But hearing loss diminishing if you don't use an HA? I'm not buying what that Audie is selling.

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
His hearing was diminishing (he is well over 65 FWIW). That effectively stopped once he started using hearing aids. What I think she was relating is that the parts of the brain that process sound loose their effectiveness if not utilized. His hearing loss is age related, not the result of damage.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
His hearing was diminishing (he is well over 65 FWIW). That effectively stopped once he started using hearing aids. What I think she was relating is that the parts of the brain that process sound loose their effectiveness if not utilized. His hearing loss is age related, not the result of damage.
OK that makes sense. As I have been writing, the brain needs to be taught. And it sounds, har har, like the Audie was telling your father that the HA's would continue to teach his brain, if he wore them. Yup yup... makes sense to me now.

Thank you, for the response!

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Because Meniere's is about FLUCTUATING hearing loss, I am one of those who will have my index finger behind my left ear, ready to turn 'em up or down, depending on where I am. And mine are super duper in that when I have someone speaking to me, if I'm actually FACING them, that's what the HA's pick up, leaving the ambient noise at a very low level.
Mine are like that too. They can take 4 programs (one being the "standard") and one of them is for telephones. When you press the button to go to it everything you hear in the HA that the button was pressed on is transmitted to the other HA. I use it when I talk with my older, soft spoken brother on the phone and when Mrs. Tek and I are in a restaurant or a bar if she's sitting to one side of me.

Another one does what yours does with the forward facing sounds. I tested it at a concert when someone was playing a piano and the sound of the hall was totally changed. There was nothing from anywhere except in front of me. It was much better turned off in that instance. This one can be set to any of the four directions with additional programming. If I spent a lot of time in a car with people in back talking to me I'd change it.

There is no volume control on mine. I just turn them off if it's too loud.

And you cannot see mine. They are very small as is the tube leading into my ear, and they are the same color as my hair. Sorta-silver I call it.

I wore them every day on our trip last month and Mrs. Tek greatly appreciated it.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mine are like that too. They can take 4 programs (one being the "standard") and one of them is for telephones. When you press the button to go to it everything you hear in the HA that the button was pressed on is transmitted to the other HA. I use it when I talk with my older, soft spoken brother on the phone and when Mrs. Tek and I are in a restaurant or a bar if she's sitting to one side of me.

Another one does what yours does with the forward facing sounds. I tested it at a concert when someone was playing a piano and the sound of the hall was totally changed. There was nothing from anywhere except in front of me. It was much better turned off in that instance. This one can be set to any of the four directions with additional programming. If I spent a lot of time in a car with people in back talking to me I'd change it.

There is no volume control on mine. I just turn them off if it's too loud.

And you cannot see mine. They are very small as is the tube leading into my ear, and they are the same color as my hair. Sorta-silver I call it.

I wore them every day on our trip last month and Mrs. Tek greatly appreciated it.

Yessir... mine are the same... invisible. The actual piece behind my ear is the same color of my hair, and the clear tube into my ears cannot be seen unless TRULY spied on.

I am sharing mine, and would like to know yours. I have Phonak Naida S, CRT. I can use the T-Coil with phones to make hearing MUCH easier, can hook up a t.v. link so that anything being said on the tellie is transmitted right to my HA's, and a choice of a couple programs or volume. Because my hearing disorder fluctuates, I took the volume control. THANK GAWD... lol..... As anyone with HA's knows, that's a huge bonus.

They were given to my by the Dept. of Rehabilitative Services, before I became disabled. FREE. And I say this because there are so many OPTIONS for people to get HA's at a discount. Ya just gotta do a ton of homework and ask a ton more questions....

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
It's an Phonak Audeo, but I don't remember which model. I don't have any accessories as I don't need them yet. Check the gray one at front left. Looks like that, color too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement